“Worst buffet”

Saffron Indian Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Saffron Indian Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #273 of 3,790 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Indian, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Doctor Phillips
Cross street: Dr Philllips
Description: Saffron Indian Cuisine serves a variety of savory recipes from India"s rich tapestry of culture and culinary traditions. Every dish is meticulously prepared in authentic Indian home-style, using only natural spices and ingredients. We never add preservatives or artificial colorings. As a result, Saffron Indian Cuisine's many delectable dishes are lean, low in fat and healthy. Located in the heart of the beautiful city of Orlando, FL, in the modern and up-tempo Dr. Phillips Plaza of of the Sand Lake exit on Interstate 4 (I-4). Our dining atmosphere is as beautiful as our surrounding area. Saffron Indian Cuisine elevates Indian cooking onto higher levels of fine dining, maintaining contemporary and stylized touches, while creating exciting & unique signature dishes. Saffron Indian Cuisine has a lot going for it. We recommend you visit and sample all our dishes. See our menu below or click here for hours & directions.
“Worst buffet”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Not that many choices for the money they charge. Horrible taste, food was blend! Gulab jammun were straight out of the can. Would not recommend to anyone!

1 Thank hello0099

• Arabic first
Orlando
“Good food, disappointing service (for the buffet!).”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

A restaurant would have to make an extra effort to create bad service when the guests essentially serve themselves - but it happened, and its a shame because the food really was very good.

Saffron serves a lunch buffet on weekends that we had been eager to try. No times were given on their website so I called to find out how late they served and was told that the final buffet seating was at 2:15. We arrived at 2:10 and were pointed (not led) to a table in the middle of the room. We sat down and waited for someone to take our drink order and explain the process/layout. No one greeted us tableside so we eventually got up and familiarized ourselves with the spread. The variety was good:
- about 6 entree dishes including chicken, lamb, veggie, curry and tofu options
- iceberg lettuce with a few condiment sauces (labels would have been helpful here, I had no idea what to use)
- two desserts (rice pudding & rasmalai?, I think)

Shortly after sitting down with our first plates of food, a waiter came over to inform us that if we wanted anything else we should go get because they would be closing down the buffet. Minutes after that another party arrived for the buffet and we overheard the waiter telling them that they would only be allowed to go up once.

At $12.95 p/person for a lunch buffet in Dr. Phillips, if an establishment seats you for it, you should be entitled to enjoy a meal at your own pace, especially if no set times are posted and you made it in before the "final seating" deadline.

Needless to say, between the inattentive servers (our water glasses were never refilled, nor was a beverage order ever taken) and the rushed meal, Saffron made us feel very unwelcome.

I'll stick with Woodlands Indian weekday lunch buffet, for only $8 p/person, I'm always greeted warmly, seated properly, given beverages, and the food is consistently outstanding.

Beavercreek, Ohio
“Delicious food”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We've eaten at a number of Indian restaurants, and really enjoyed this one. The aloo gobi and the shahi mutter paneer were especially delicious.

Oviedo, Florida, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superior food and very friendly service”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

(August 2012)

My wife and daughter and I chose to visit Saffron because we read so many good things about it, and we were on the west side of town so we wanted someplace close. Outside, it was just like some of the other reviewers mentioned: in the middle of a strip of businesses, looking like nothing special at all.

The inside is nicely but simply appointed, arm chairs with pillows at the tables and cleanly laid out. But the real deal was the food. We had chicken tandoori, palek paneer (a spinach and cheese vegetable dish), and Kadhai shrimp.

The chicken (three legs, three or four thighs, and three breast halves - a decent quantity) had a red coating that was slightly blackened - it looked like grilled and visually suggestive of being dry. But not so at all. It was super moist and tender. The yogurt-based marinade and what I learned was clay pot cooking gave the chicken a subtle tang but was not terribly strong, and the meat was juicy and delicious.

We asked for some hot sauce on the side, and they provided three small bowls of different sauces, the hottest one kicking up the punch of the chicken nicely (for those who like the chilis).

The palek paneer was rich and creamy and thick, very slightly sweet, and juxtaposed well with the chicken. I have no idea how the shrimp tasted because my wife scarfed most of it down and made nasty noises at me when it looked like I was eyeing it. The meal came with a rather big bowl of rice and we also ordered plain naan, which was nice and fluffy.

This was really superior food. The waiter was very helpful in giving us descriptions to help us choose, and was attentive. I highly recommend Saffron if you've got the craves for Indian.

1 Thank Greg_in_FL
Florida
“Average”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I've checked out Saffron a few times, and think the food is just average, but service is good. Though it's nice of them to ask how spicy you want your food (I asked for the maximum), I was disappointed that the food was surprisingly non-spicy (I'm not sure why they bother asking). Also, I thought the food was not that authentic - heavy on the sauce/fillings, very light on the main ingredient (though a buddy who ordered a chicken-based entree got ample chicken). Overall, I thought the food tasted bland (I speculate that they are trying to play it safe to cater to more people). On the bright side, the service was good (our server answered questions about the menu, was attentive, refilled drinks, etc.), the location is excellent, and the food was not flooded with butter and oil.