Sheraton Vistana Villages - International Drive
Ranked #78 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Absolutely first class.

We stayed in a two bedroon apartment in the "Keys" section.

Everything was as advertised. The rooms were clean and fresh and we had the everyday maid service option which I recommend.

The "Keys" has it's own swimming pool and Games/Gym building. There is a large main pool also available.

In the Gym all the equipment looked new and was perfectly adequate for keeping down "The American Food Portion Belly!!"

In the apartment was all you needed, Cooker,Dishwasher, all utensils, washing machine (Saves taking home a suitcase full of washing!!) and tumble dryer. Just one niggle - an old fashioned whistling kettle is provided not an electric one. A bit noisy for the neighbours.

Both bedrooms had En-suite facilities and the Master bedroom had a whirlpool bath in an adjacent room . Also, a safe is provided free of charge.

I just can't fault this hotel, I have read previous reviews saying they were pestered with time-share offers, we weren't. On arrival they asked us if we were interested in their presentation and offered us $150 to attend, we said we no and that was it.

It also offers a great location, 10 minutes from Disney, 5 Minutes from Seaworld and about 15 from Universal.

In other reviews some say you need a car and some say you don't. I would advise having one, this is America after all and the car is King. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel and Taxi's are relatively cheap but a car gives you so much more freedom and choice and there is nothing within easy walking distance.

Great place, great holiday, Highly Recommended.

6  Thank pompeyrew

Reviewed October 29, 2007

We exchanged our timeshare for this resort, and were VERY pleased. The grounds were beautiful, especially the pool area, and security was top notch - gated community. Our room was a 2 BR with a full kitchen. The sink pictured on another post was our bar sink in the living area. We had a double standard sink in the kitchen. We did have a large triangular Jacuzzi tub in the master as well as a stand up shower. The kids had a standard full bath attached to their 2 double bed bedroom.
My only complaint was that the microwave seemed to not work well - it took longer than expected to cook food and it is the exact same unit we have in our home - a Whirlpool. Probably no one had even reported this problem, so the resort would have no idea to fix it.
It was an easy drive to all the local attractions including Disney and Sea World. The grocery store was less than a mile away, which is a big bonus for us since we eat all our breakfasts and at least a few dinners in our room - a big advantage of timeshare.
We did not participate in the timeshare presentation, although we were offered $100. We are already owners at another resort and are not interested in purchasing more because we simply don't need it. Many times the one hour presentations go much longer, but apparently this place stays on time according to other posts. If you have the time, and don't mind, or if you are interested then you should consider going to the presentation.
Overall, we were very pleased with the resort and would definitely return!

4  Thank redelaneymd
Reviewed October 24, 2007

My wife and I visited for 4 nights as part of a time-share promotion. We were not forced to sit through the presentation, but were enticed through $$ and heavily discounted attraction tickets. It was advertised as a 90-minute presentation and it was. We were honest with the guy booking the presentations that we would not be buying, but his job was to fill the seats with warm bodies. Sheraton made good on all their promises and incentives.
As for the resort itself, the grounds were beautiful, security was tight though not intimidating. There's a guardhouse you must identify yourself in order to enter the grounds. Sheraton Security patrolled on Segways. The staff was courteous always. Sometimes it seemed they were being so thorough things took longer than they should, such as check-in and check-out. Official check-in is 4pm, though we arrived around 2pm. Our 1BR was ready, though still damp from being steam-cleaned prior to our arrival. Another traveler's accomodations were not ready at the same time and she was perturbed at having to wait. I guess we were lucky. Our small 1BR was very clean and odor-free. There are different sizes of units in addition to different number of bedrooms. Ours had 2 TVs, 1 in the bedroom and 1 in the living room got about 70 cable channels, though the 3 HBO channels were not clear. Some technical glitch. The free high-speed internet access worked flawlessly, you just have to initially agree to their terms and conditions, which mainly indemnify them from damages and make you promise not to hack into their system. Nothing sinister in any of that.
There were extra linens available for making up the sleeper sofa if you choose to have that many people stay. Maid service was daily and they did a nice job, though we never saw them. They always came late afternoon while we were out. Piggys that we are, we left used dishes out and they loaded them in the dishwasher and ran it for us.
The property is located within a couple of miles to Sea World and just a couple of more miles gets you to either the Mouse or Universal.
We spoke with other people while hot-tubbing who were vacation time-share owners. 2 of the 3 were satisfied and would purchase again. 1 couple was displeased with some additional fees above and beyond the maintenance fees which were being levied on all the part-owners in their unit. If it hadn't been for that issue, I think they would have had a 100% satisfaction rating from our small informal poll.
Food in the bar and grill was good, though service was slow. But we weren't in a hurry anyway, so what did it matter? Almost none of the service workers we ran into were native English speaking, though they were fluent with heavy accents. Sometimes we had to have things repeated.
Our stay was very pleasant...our accomodations were well above average...check-in and check-out were hassle free...the place was a well-manicured garden spot and service was provided as promised. If all our experiences were like this, we'd be happy travelers and would not hesitate to return to the Sheraton Vistana Villages again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank D_and_L_7
Reviewed October 20, 2007

Stayed here as part of a timeshare promotion. 2 bdr villa in newest section. Construction was going on (not on weekends) and we did not have any issue with it, the downside was not a pretty view from the balcony. Rooms were clean and could easily handle 6 adults.

Restaurant and Bar were slooooow and overpriced. My advise is to stock up at Publix just a short drive away or buy your drinks at the onsite market.

The pool had music occasionally, plenty of chairs and only ran out of towels once during our stay. There is no slide, it does have zero entry with a children's area.

This is a great place if you want extra room and all the comforts of home.

Would I stay again? For the right price. I did not buy as this would not a hotel I would want to return to again and again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank atlanta.david
Reviewed October 16, 2007

This resort is so beautiful, I can't imagine any bad reviews! Me, my husband, 7 year old son and 4 year old daughter just got back from a weeks stay. We were in the Keys section, a newer phase at the back of the resort. To be exact: building 16 - 205 a Large 1 bedroom unit. Fantastic kitchen with granite counters, lg double sink, full dishwasher, Lg stove, Microwave and lg fridge. Also an open pantry where the washer and dryer were. We put our food there, up high away from the sink since prior posts warned of bugs. During our weeks stay I saw one ant in the bathroom all by his lonesome. My 4 year old took care of him, poor little guy!
The pools are so incredible, it was tough convincing the children to go to the Disney parks. We never managed to get to the parks before 2 because everyone wanted to swim. Also, there were lots of activities at the pool just about every day and some evening activities as well.
The only glitch in our nearly perfect stay was the fire alarm at 2AM! You can imagine how loud that thing was! We had to carry our 2 sleeping children out to the parking lot and eventually to the car to try and get away from the noise. Apparently, there was a problem in the water pressure that triggered the alarm, not a fire. It took them an hour to turn the thing off. It all seemed like a dream (nightmare!) since we were able to go right back to sleep.

I forgot to mention the enormous master bathroom! A nice size jacuzzi tub, separate toilet with door, double sink and a huge walk in shower. I swear the walk in shower was 4'X7', the whole family could have taken a shower together!

Sorry to ramble on but I should mention the extra half bathroom and the screened in porch/balcony. I did take pictures, I will post them later.

In conclusion, we didn't have any trouble with the timeshare people. We are already owners and we politely told them we were not interested in the breakfast where they probably would have pushed us to buy another week or something. There were messages on our room phone but we didn't check them. We are very happy owning through this group (Starwwod Vacation Ownership), last year we were able to stay at the property adjacent to the Atlantis in the Bahamas, check out my review!!

10  Thank beckywes
Reviewed October 2, 2007

I was looking forward to a relaxing vacation in Orlando Fl. My mom and I were traveling together – girl’s vacation! We were so excited about the hotel we booked- Sheraton Vistana Villages. (This hotel looked so nice on the web site--Ha-Ha) I booked the $99.00 deal as advertised on their website. I wanted a nice hotel with a kitchen so we could cook our own meals.....It seemed like a good deal.......First of all, we were not given the room that we thought we were getting. They kept sticking us in a corner room. It was very dark and gloomy. There was also a hidden cove under the stairs next to the door - not lit at night. Not safe for women traveling alone. After being put into two different corner rooms, the hotel claimed the corner rooms were the only "standard" rooms they had in the entire complex. (Yeah, right!) We told them that if they were going to stick us in the corner- at least up us up several levels off the ground. Also the rooms did not look like what was advertised on their web site! We were supposed to receive the Bella Florida rooms: Jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom. Don't be deceived: the rooms do not look like the Bella Fl pictures on their site. We had other problems as well: Hair in the bed, bugs on the kitchen and bathroom counters, Cockroaches (the BIG ones!), a toaster that only toasts one side of the bread, kitchen sink far too small for the faucet -made it almost impossible to do the dishes, 1/2 inch gaps all the way around the entry door - light came through our door at night, a dustpan but no broom, it was very loud with people banging their doors all night long. The thermostadt in our room was also broken when we arrived - it was like an oven! We were so hot and couldn't sleep! We had to stay up until midnight for a matinence man to come fix it. The list goes on and on. This hotel was impossible to deal with. They were very rude! When we had a complaint, they ignored us. My last straw was the giant cockroach crawling under my feet. I finally had to call the corporate office and have them open an official complaint file. They dealt with the managers of the hotel for me. After a long ordeal, we were finally given a nicer room and reimbursed for one nights stay. I was so frustrated! I practically had to twist their arms for them to do anything for us. I finally had to tell the managers that I was taking pictures of the room and will post them on the internet when I returned home! (BTW: I called them about the cockroach at 9AM - it was still there when I returned to my room at 5PM that evening - talk about great hotel service!) I might have understood the bugs if we had left food out - which we did not! We kept everything in the fridge - including our fruit and crackers! I was so afraid we got them in our suitcases and would bring them home with us. I spent most of my vacation fighting the people at this hotel. I don't think I will ever stay at a Sheraton again as long as I live. When I pay $100.00 a night and travel half way across the country for a vacation, I expect to be treated like a guest! Sheraton Vistiana Villages is a huge joke! Do Not stay at this hotel! False Advertisement! Yuck! When I talked to a worker at the hotel, he told me this sort of stuff happens all the time at this hotel. He said to be glad that we didn't stay in the older complexes (Key West buildings). He said that's where the animals come up at night. Sick! I feel sorry for anyone who spends their vacation and hard earned money at this hotel! Sheraton: I dare you to stay at your own hotel for several nights. You will find your hotel is not as great as you let on!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
11  Thank diappointedguest
Reviewed October 2, 2007

Just returned from a 5 day mini vacation with the kids from Orlando. We stayed at the Sheraton Vistana Villages in a 1 bedroom condo. It was a very nice location, very clean, nice pools, great work out and recreation room. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Would stay there again with no questions what-so-ever!!

2  Thank jntstearns