“We love it”

Disney's Pop Century Resort
Ranked #132 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed June 22, 2007

This hotel was so fun! You know your at Disney.

I took an 18 yo niece and my two childre (daughter 12 and son 11). I LOVE IT. We stayed in the 50s building and although it took a few minutes to walk to the main building it was no problem. We checked in early and got a nice corner room. All the cast members were excellent. I have nothing to complain about. The noise was to be expected, the parks were wonderful. Free transportation was reasonable and renting a car for a day was affordable.

Staying there made it afford able for a single-parent of 2 take my kids because they deserve it (we struggled for many years) and my niece for graduation gift she would have never been able to go on her own.

I have just booked our next trip for Sept 07 (FREE DINING PLAN) but with POP sold out <sad face> as well as the other value resorts we'll be staying CBR....... We'll let you know how that goes!

Everyone should stay here. Its the best!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
12  Thank KBR3Comp

Reviewed June 21, 2007

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at Pop Century resort and I can honestly say it is the worst place I have ever stayed at in my life. We had originally planned to stay at the Dolphin hotel but decided to change due to the fact we had a 2 year old son and this seemed more child friendly (what a huge mistake).

The rooms are tiny, as soon as you open the door there is a double bed which you have to work your way around, there are no wardrobes (all you get is a rail with a few hangers), the sink is in the bedroom and no tea/coffee making facilities. The only bonuses were the iron/ironing board and hairdryer.

The most infuriating aspect of the whole hotel is, without doubt , the food court. I could go on and on about how much we detested it but I will keep it brief. There are 4 seperate areas to obtain food, so unless you all want to eat the same thing every night you may need to stand in 4 seperate lines, which are more often than not extremely busy. You then need to join another line to pay, by which time your food is cold and it is not exactly value for money. When you do eventually get to sit down to eat your dinner , albeit cold, you are given the indignity of eating it with PLASTIC CUTLERY AND PAPER PLATES !

If you intend to stay at this hotel go out all day and make sure you eat out every night and only go back to the room when you intend to sleep. This will guarantee you a much less stressful and happier holiday.

The only redeeming features about this hotel are the Disney transportation system(very efficient and reliable) and the merchandise shop, but we will definitely not be recommending this hotel to anyone or be staying here ever again, even if it was given to us for free..

10  Thank Evangeline8
Reviewed June 21, 2007

I stayed at the Pop Century for three nights last week, and enjoyed the experience a lot. They put me into the 1960's building, and that was good because I'm a 60's kinda guy. Our room faced a wooded area and was quite quiet.

I should note that I have stayed in all on-site Disney properties except for two (Animal Kingdom Lodge, Contemporary Resort). This property is quite similar to the All Star resorts. The rooms are simple and quite comfortable. Two full-sized beds, basin in the room, tub/shower and toilet in a separate room. We had four in our room, and didn't feel crowded.

The Disney resorts are always spotless. A nice touch for this property is that they form washcloths and hand towels into animals that they put into the window (one animal for each day of the stay, apparently). We enjoyed seeing the various animals in the windows.

The people at the front desk are quite friendly and eager to please. The check-in process was enjoyable, and questions we had during the stay were answered accurately and patiently.

We didn't take the time to use the pool, but many people did. It was attractive and more than big enough for the number of people.

The Disney soap, shampoo, etc. were of good quality--nice for any hotel. I've never seen bath towels so thin, though. Maybe it was like that at the All Star resorts, but I don't remember it that way.

This property and the Animal Kingdom Lodge are the two newest resorts on the property. Even so, we saw them washing the exteriors of the buildings and doing painting on several different buildings to keep then looking quite nice.

I enjoyed my stay here. It won't compare to the higher-priced Disney resorts, but it's quite nice for the price.

17  Thank OhioRon
Reviewed June 20, 2007

There are a whole lot of people here, but the resort does an outstanding job of keeping everything running smoothly.
Food Court was reasonable but still high
There was a wade pool for infants and toddlers which was nice
The rooms were very small for a family of 4 but functional
Kids loved the super-sized icons on and around the buildings and the large pools.
The housekeeping staff even creates little animals in the window with towels. A great touch.

As long as you arrive with realistic expectations about what you are going to get at a "value" resort, you will be happy.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank tmj1217
Reviewed June 16, 2007

Let me start by saying that my husband and I stayed at the Pop Century purely because a group of friends had booked there and we thought it would be rude to stay somewhere else while everyone was in one hotel. WRONG! Pop Century is truly filled with the "WAL-MART" crowd of visitors.... always looking for a deal, there was one bar in the entire place, which served maybe 3 or 4 drinks for $8-12 bucks a pop (no surprise there), the rooms were awful, I have stayed at better motels off the side of I-95.... They were damp, dark, and loud! I heard every screach and scream from my nieghbors room and there 27 kids, or so it seemed.... Now, true, this is probobaly a fine hotel for those who don't like to actually relax on their vacation, dont like to drink, dont like to feel like an adult, and LOVE to swim in a pool that is vey reminiscent of an inner city public pool, cloudy water and all. Now, for $150, it was NOT worth it... especially since I know that JW Marriott is not too far and only about $50 more for the vacation of a lifetime.... If a friend wants to stay at POP Century, SAY NO!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
9  Thank starbear999
Reviewed June 15, 2007

We stayed at Pop Century over Memorial Day weekend. From the previous reviews, I was expecting something similar to a typical limited-service property and that’s what we got. Our room was very clean and furnished similar to what you would find at most Holiday Inns – exterior entrance, basic furnishings, average bed linens, bathroom at the far end of the room with commode and tub behind a door and sink/vanity/mirror in the main room next to a rod for hanging clothes (no closet door). It was wonderful that the entire property was non-smoking.

Our room was on one side of the 60’s building, facing a small wooded area so it was away from the pools and quiet at night. The cafeteria was very crowded and quite loud (high ceilings made everything echo) but choices were good for families.

We chose to stay at Pop Century for the Disney benefits – transportation, extra park hours, etc. We were celebrating our 8YO’s birthday and the hotel gave her a “it’s my birthday” button she wore all weekend. The characters gave her special attention, and all of the Disney cast members wished her a happy birthday everywhere we went. The front desk staff (very friendly & efficient considering the property has 2,800 rooms so the desk is very busy) asked about her favorite character and lo and behold when we returned from the park the next day there was a voice mail from Mickey & Minnie wishing her a happy birthday, plus a signed card and balloons. The housekeeper had also fashioned a birthday cake out of washcloths and placed it in the window (all occupied rooms had different washcloth animals in their windows). Disney made her birthday very special.

IMHO, two things would have made this property a little more comfortable – pool towels and in-room coffee. Pop Century had neither. Guests are informed by a sign in the room to take bath towels to the pool. Even limited service hotels offer in-room coffee so it surprised me that Pop Century didn’t. We would stay there again but bring our beach towels and a coffee maker!

15  Thank meetingpro
Reviewed June 13, 2007

stayed end of january but only just got round to writing a reveiw, good value hotel, if you go expecting the hilton etc you will be dissapointed, however good standard clean rooms, layed out motel style, it was fairly quiet when we stayed (maybe that was due to the time of the year) if you want to stay on disney property but cant afford the more expensive resorts or want to spend the money elsewhere then this is definatly a good option. Would definatly stay there again, the service at the customer desk was good, answered all questions we had, booked tickets for us for cirque du soleil (which is a must if in my opinion) made use of the disney transport system for the entire trip and had no problems and did not have to wait long, the busses go from the resorts to all the parks and down town disney and is easy to navigate. we had the dining plan also, which although would be more food than we would buy normally worked out great value for money (and those with a sweet tooth go to the pop century food area and make sure you get the twinkie).

another advantage of staying on disney property is the extra magic hours, which are invaluble if you want to make sure you want to see everything you want to.

the shop/arcade/food area is all in the main enterance building, and all busses stop outside

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
15  Thank anna42hmr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!