“Pleasantly Surprised!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #130 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Palmyra, PA
“Pleasantly Surprised!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

After multiple Disney visits previously with stays at a variety of Disney Resorts (Contemporary, Carribean Beach, Hotel Royal Plaza, etc.) was nervous about trying a "value resort". What a pleasant surprise -- frankly, would not stay in a moderate-priced resort or above again -- this fits the bill for everything! Nice sized room, quiet, clean, wall safe, fridge, hair dryer w/built-in night-light, iron/board, clock radio with night-light, comfy beds & pillows, large flat-screen TV, etc. Stayed in 50's section, back-side of building one (Disney honored our building and room location request and our "standard room" (4100's) was directly on the side opposite of "preferred rooms", just a few steps further. Would not spend the extra $ on a preferred room. Would definitely not want a first-floor room -- especially in building 1 (not sure about the other bldgs) but there is "natural" landscaping that could make for bugs and wildlife plus is a main walkway people use to get to the building's elevator right outside of your door -- traffic and more noise. Saw a black snake on a sidewalk one afternoon and lots of "almost-tame" bunnies. Short walk to the main building/food court/gift shop. Very convenient all the way around. Gift shop has lots of little things you may have forgotten (eye drops, lip balm, diapers, etc.). Food Court offered 4 different areas with each having different choices (B, L,D) -- which rotate daily and are open early/late (and fairly busy) with lots of seating (burgers, fish dinners, large breakfasts, chicken dinner, vegetarian choices, pizza with room delivery, desserts, etc. Sit closest to the gift shop for a "quieter section" or there are outside tables. There is a refrigerated section with bakery items, sandwiches, crackers, milk, beer, etc. Don't usually do these things, but definitely worth buying the "resort cup" for $14 with free food court refills for the entire stay, including hot chocolate, soda, tea, etc. You can buy 2 slices of bread for 69 cents and there are lots of free condiments (BP, jelly, honey) that you can take back to your room. Very relaxed, no one watching you like a hawk. If you pack bagels and such they offer toasters and m-waves to use. You could really be creative here and save a lot of money on food. The food was okay -- tasted fine and with decent sized portions. I ate kids meals the entire time ($5.99) and was perfectly satisfied. Adult meals approx. $7-10. One bus stop, which is a plus (moderate resorts can have multiple bus stops and if you're not at stop one you run the risk of a full bus each time, thus making you wait for another bus). Fast bus service to everywhere Disney, including Downtown Disney and the water parks. Magic Kingdom was longest ride (20 min?), but still quick. If you are on the bus at 5:00 there is a lot more traffic and it will take longer. Concierge was extremely helpful. Everyone was friendly and the resort was colorful and full of life. The bowling pin pool was huge, heated, and loved by the 10 and 13 year old kids. Hippity Dippity Pool was louder and smaller but fun, too. Family of 4 very comfortable here and had no complaints. No bed bugs! Right across the lake from Art of Animation, which is very similar in layout, but looks wonderful and is new. Would try that resort next time. If you want luxury, this resort is not for you, but we were more than happy here, were frankly never in the room anyway, and loved the savings of the "value resort". The only thing that stood out that it was a "value resort" was that the more expensive resorts had the closest bus pickup stops at the park bus stops (which was not a big deal). Very convenient bus service to all parks. Utilized the Magic Express from the airport to hotel and return -- VERY convenient, no problem with our luggage getting there, and made things very easy. Note that you have to take care of your own luggage when leaving. Was nervous about not having a car, but other than wanting to get away from "Disney-in-your-face" 24/7, no reason to have one and were fine without it. More convenient -- drop off right at front gate of every park and pick up at same location. Only complaint was that the maid service seemed a little lax in a few areas -- but nothing major. Disney always happy to help, with a smile, and they think of everything -- every little detail has been thought of including nice little surprise ones! Would definitely stay here again. Think you'd like it, too.

Room Tip: Definitely not a first floor room, no need to spend $ on a "preferred room", be sure to ch...
4 Thank The4Ts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,779)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Shorewood, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed at Pop Century on May 31 to June 7, 2013 with my husband, 5-year old son, and sister-in-law. If you are going to stay at the Value Resorts, I recommend staying at the Pop Century. It is newer than the All-Star resorts. And, although Art of Animation has "standard" rooms, they are a LONG walk from the lobby/bus stop, etc., so if I stayed Value again, I would definitely stay at Pop Century over the other value resorts at Disney.

Pros: We payed for a "Preferred" room, meaning, we got a great location near the lobby, main pool, and bus stop. We were in room 266 in the 70's building, and our room location was perfect. I would not stay at a value resort without going preferred, because the resorts are very expansive, and it was so nice to walk out of your room, and within four minutes, be at the bus stop. This is especially nice because of the heat, and after a long day with kids. The room was neat and clean, and had what you needed. I like that the room has a mini-fridge, and we ordered food from Garden Grocer and it was there when we arrived. I like that the resort delivers it right into your room, and even puts your cold groceries in the fridge for you. Water pressure in the shower was good. I know that seems like an odd thing to mention, but I can't stand when a shower has weak water pressure. Maybe that's just me :) The best thing about this resort is the Price. Next to the All-Star resorts, it's the cheapest place to stay. I really like staying on Disney property mainly for the transportation to the parks. Most of the time we waited 10 minutes or less for the busses. It wasn't too bad. We did have to stand on several occasions, but this didn't bother me too much.
The main pool was nice. We actually only swam once because we were so busy going to the theme parks and water parks. But, I did like the layout of the pool and the theme. All of us in our group purchased the refillable mugs, and my husband got a lot of use out of his. If going again, I probably wouldn't purchase one for me because I don't drink a lot of soda and actually prefer water, and we were at the parks so much, that we weren't really at the resort a lot, so I don't think I took full advantage of it. I am always impressed by how clean everything is at Disney, especially the landscaping. I loved the landscaping at this resort. Everything always looked so perfect. There were also pretty pink-flowering trees right outside our second-floor room which were always pleasant to look at when coming and going.
We used the Magical Express to and from the airport, and that was great. I really liked the flight check in, and checking in our luggage right at the resort the morning that we left for home. This was very convenient, and we did not have to wait in the "check-in" line once we got to the airport, which the line was very long, so this was great to be able to by-pass that.

Cons: I was not impressed with the food court at all. We at here a few times, and I couldn't stand it after that. Not many healthy choices at all, not much variety or selection, and I just felt like it was over-priced, sub-par cafeteria food. We ended up walking to Art of Animation to eat at their food court once, and I liked that one better.
The size of the rooms is very, very small. Yes, I knew this going in. And, if I wanted a more expansive room, I know I would have to shell out a lot more money for the moderate or deluxe resorts... and... I'm just not willing to do that... so, a small room is what we get. It did get quite tight with three adults and one child. There was a lot of "excuse me's", and "can I get past you" while getting ready in the morning... but... honestly, it wasn't that big of a deal beyond that because all we really did other than get ready was sleep. Also, I do think it's kind of ridiculous that the beds are not even queen size, they are "full". I don't think any resort should ever be built with rooms with less than queen size beds, but that's just me. Oh well, we dealt with it... and we were so tired that I slept like a baby, so I guess it didn't matter much.
This next one is a very minor, minor concern, and did not affect the quality of our trip, but nontheless, I was a bit disappointed by it. When staying on Disney property, I usually expect the mouse-service to leave towel art daily, or arrange my sons toys in a cute way so that it is a little exciting to come home and see what they did. But, we didn't get much of this at all. About our fourth day, we got one towel art piece, and it was small, and I don't remember what it was. We were also leaving tips on the pillow each day, but still, nothing. We took a walk around the resort, and saw a lot of the other rooms had lots of towel art in their windows, so, I guess it depends on the staff member that is cleaning your room. I was not impressed with our person, and I know my five year old son would have enjoyed that. Oh well.

Also... one more tip. I would highly recommend visiting the Disney Vacation Club counter, and scheduling a tour of the DVC property. Yes, it takes about 90 minutes. But, it was really cool to get a tour (because I am that type of person who likes going through model-homes, etc.), I like seeing other Disney properties other than where I'm staying... and the reason why I'm suggesting going- is because they give you three fast-passes PER member of your group. This was worth it. Also, the fast passes are good for right that moment as soon as you put it in the machine... it doesn't tell you to come back in 90 minutes, etc. We didn't purchase into the DVC, and I did not feel like it was high pressure at all. And, the other good part about doing the tour, was that they give you a personal ride in a van to whatever park you want to go to when it's over, instead of taking your back to your resort and then getting on a bus.

Overall, we had a great stay, and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay for a preferred room, and ask for a room close to transportation and dining.
3 Thank lauris87
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I've stayed in many Resort categories from deluxe club level to standard value. Pop Century has always been my least favorite and have only stayed there if there was no other choice. Breaking up a long road trip after a week's vacation out of the country we made a last minute reservation at Pop. I must say I was surprised at the obvious work that's been completed making the resort all shiny, sparkly and new looking! Grounds were lovely and well manicured. Buildings seemed to be freshly painted. I kept telling my daughter it looked so different than the last time we had to stay there. Son-in-law said he thought high management may have changed and the new philosophy (old, really) was to keep the magic in Disney. No matter the reason - way to go Disney!

Va, Usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is the second (and likely the last) time I've stayed at a Disney budget resort. Rooms are tiny with double beds and no frills. Mini fridge was nice, but all rooms are exterior entry, thereby they are noisy. The fixtures are dated, and in our room the shower curtain grommets were rusted. Food choices were good, the pools were nice (the bowling pin pool had almost nobody when we were there) and the movies pool-side are an neat idea. It is nice to be on property and ride the bus but it takes about 15 minutes to get to Magic Kingdom from here and when you leave the park, you have to walk to the furthest bus stop to catch the bus back to the resort. That's tough when you've already been walking all day. Not convenient if you want/need to go back to the room and rest before heading back to one of the parks. So if you are looking for a place to sleep and shower and stay on property, this is probably an OK option, but if want more relaxation and ease of access, you'll want to stay on the monorail or at a closer resort (but, those are not going to be 'budget' accommodations).

• 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank ECUnited
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

we stayed in the 50' s section, for 5 nights this past june. the room was adequate (three people)
it was on the small side,the fridge was ok but not that cold,and as could be expected there was a lot of outside crowd,pool noise and the size of the hotel puts the parking,resturant,transportation all quite some distance from the room...that's all the bad now for the good,nicely themed hotel from the music in the lobby (watch for the hustle dance from the staff very funny) to the large Disney characters to the pool shapes and décor, very clean from the grounds to the room,all employees friendly. very convienient to have restaurant and small store on site,as well as laundry room. now for the great,the Disney bus transportation to all the parks,always on time,clean,easy and after trying it I would never stay off property again
if the rooms just had a microwave I would have to give it 5 stars, for the price you cant beat it

Room Tip: pay for the premium room upgrade,they are closer to the front of the hotel,after a long day of walki...
2 Thank the3wrights
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We live about an hour away. We like going to Disney and sometimes will spend the weekend. This was actually one of our better weekends at one of the economy Disney hotels. The pools and room were clean and very nice. The decor is great on the grounds. If I was staying at Disney with children this would be the one I would pick. We were at the pool and they kept activities going for kids the whole time. Parents and Grandparents were able to sit and relax for a while. They have pool bingo for kids and adults, scavenger hunts, a dance competition for the kids and movies at nite by the pool. We grabbed pizzas, which are actually better than one of the well known pizza restaurants and watched a movie by the pool. The kids all had a ball and the adults, who got to act like kids for a while had a great time. The whole weekend was great. We left Magic Kingdom early because everyone wanted to go back to the hotel. Overall we loved it. We try as many different hotels at Disney as we can just to enjoy the whole Disney experience, especially not having to get back into our car until we leave to go home. That's one of the best perks of all.

Room Tip: All of the rooms appear to be good rooms from what we've seen. Even by the pool we didn't he...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank poofimgone
Dunstable, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This is the first time we have stayed in a budget hotel so we were a bit apprehensive but it was just great. We had 2 rooms which were interconnecting which was very useful as our 2 grand children and mum were in the next room which made it convenient when the children went to bed as my daughter could come in our room and relax. We had a preferred room (50's) but any of the blocks look good, some of them were overlooking the pools or the lake but to be honest we barely drew the curtains let alone looked at the view, which by the way was overlooking a pine forest and we were near the car park. We were only in the room to sleep and shower and it was perfect. There was always clean towels and every day the toiletries were replenished. They provide soap and shampoo/conditioner so if you refer shower gel I suggest bringing your own. There are tissues, plastic cups and an ice bucket. I took my kettle so I could make tea/coffee and there is a small fridge for your drinks/milk. We made 2 visits to Wal Mart and stocked up on everything we needed including a stroller which was really cheap and we donated it to 'mouse-keeping' when we left. We also left a reasonable tip at the end of our stay as we could not fault the service, which incidentally we never saw once, it happened just like 'magic'. The food court was a little bit of a feeding frenzy and we were on the dining plan which was good but we did not manage to use all our credits and never went hungry. I would say the service was slow but generally that was the case everywhere we went. The swimming pool was really good and the life guards were always on a look out. They have life jackets for small children which were great for our grand kids who are just learning to swim. There is a very nice bar at the main pool. We also visited 'Art of Animation' which is a short walk across the bridge over the lake, you can visit the dining hall to eat but not the pools which was a shame. I cannot fault this resort, yes the rooms may be looking a little bit tired but everything worked, we were well satisfied and I am certainly not a 'budget' type of traveller generally. The only minor draw back were that the walls are not insulated but we did not have particularly noisy neighbours and we were on the 2nd floor. This may be an issue for some but generally everyone is out all day and back late and straight to bed like us! Well done everyone at Pop Century for making our stay such a pleasure.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a 'preferred' room but could not really tell if there was any benefit. If...
3 Thank SueG56
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Holiday Inn Orlando – Disney Springs Area
Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!