“Great Place for Families and Kids” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Disney's Pop Century Resort

Disney's Pop Century Resort
Ranked #140 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Arlington, Massachusetts
“Great Place for Families and Kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Winter was getting us down, so I booked a trip with the family to go see Mickey. We had a great location in the 60's part near the bridge to Disney Animation. This was a great central location to the main pool, as well as the other two. Rooms were basic motel style, but clean and pretty up to date. I understand that all Pop Century rooms have fridges, which is great. The food is not great at Pop and overpriced. If you are going for any duration, I recommend a cab to Target and pick up everything you'll need for sandwiches, drinks etc. Really $6.5 for a bottle beer and $10 for a Hamburger... yes it's Disney, but lets be realistic. If I was rating the food and not the room it would be a 2.5*. I'd definitely come here again though... my daughter loved it and we had a relaxing place to crash every night.

Great Things:
Location and Bus System to the Parks
Quick Check-In and Out, as well as Airline Check In for most Domestic Airlines
Pools for Families and Kids
Clean and Efficient
Location to Art of Animation (for our room)

Not So Great:
Boring and Mediocre Overpriced Food (2* for Pop, 3.5* for Animation)
Geared more toward value and families with kids (not a normal adult resort)
Rooms a little small and not enough counter space in bathroom
Bus system is great, but if you had a car you aren't beholden to Disney dining (plan well0

Room Tip: Pick rooms at the center of the resort, but you don't really get much choice since I think most...
1 Thank Mike S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,955)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Fl
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have stayed in many Lake Buena Vista area hotels, but nothing compares to staying on-site with Disney. I opted for Express On-line check in, which was great! It also saved time with the check-out because I didn't have to go all the way down to the lobby and stand in line just to check out. They just kept my credit card on file and when it was time to check out, they e-mailed me an itemized receipt of all my charges. I loved taking advantage of the Extra Magic Hours at the various Disney Theme Parks (Another perk of staying on site). I also felt safe, as there was a guard and gate at the entrance, so not just anyone could come into the hotel. The hotel lobby was very animated and decorated especially for young children. While I was not impressed by the variety of food available in the dinning room, there are plenty of restaurants located around the area. All-in-all, this hotel was great and I would love to stay here again. After a long day in the parks, it was nice to come back to a clean room, comfortable bed, hot shower and even a mini fridge.

Spring, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

My little boy and I booked a last-minute WDW trip and thought we would try this place out. Normally, for family trips, we stay at the Contemporary so a stay in a Value hotel was new for us.

Pop Century is an elaborately themed resort that is positively sprawling, loaded with people smoking outside of the designated areas, and in spite of those 2 things a pretty decent place to lay your head for the evening. The room was clean but the housekeeping was not very attentive. My son had an accident one night and I notified housekeeping. I also noticed crumbs on his sheet (and we had just arrived and brought no snacks) which led me to believe the sheets weren't changed prior to our arrival. Gross. So anyway I let housekeeping know about the wetting incident the morning after. That night, when I put my boy down for the evening - crumbs AGAIN. This happened one more time as well.

I can't recommend the housekeeping staff but the rest of the resort was neat. The food court was surprisingly complete and pretty good, too. I'd go back and just might a year or so from now.

Room Tip: We were in the 80s section, not convenient to the main building or buses at all.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank cw21726
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We just spent a few days at Pop. This was our first time staying at a value resort, normally we stay at the moderate resorts but this was a last minute decision to add a few days at Disney to our vacation. The resort is fairly large and the theme is fun. The staircases up to the higher floors wind through objects from different decades such as bowling pins, cell phones and Rubik's cubes. There are a couple of pools but the biggest is a huge bowling pin shaped pool. The pools are very basic with no slides. The themes of the moderate and deluxe pools are much more detailed. Our room was on the small side with two double beds and a table and chair. The colors were a bland blue and tan. The bedding had Mickey Mouse on it. There was no coffee maker which wasn't a big deal to us as we don't drink coffee. The mini fridge was broken and wouldn't turn on at all. The faucet in the bathtub was stuck and wouldn't turn on. After working at it for about ten minutes we finally got it working. After showering I realized why the faucet had been so stuck. The water wouldn't stop running unless the handle was jammed way past the off setting. I actually couldn't turn it far enough to keep the water from dripping so I ended up wrapping a washcloth around it so we wouldn't hear the dripping all night long.
There is only one bus stop for the whole resort so depending on your room location you might have quite a hike to the bus stop. The buses ran fairly regular and we usually didn't have to wait long for a bus. Except the day we went to Epcot. We waited 40 minutes for a bus. The line was huge and people were getting ready to riot! There were at least three buses each to all of the other parks in the time span that we waited for one. But that only happened once.
The food court has a good selection of foods and snacks. The decor doesn't live up to the standards of the higher resorts. All in all it was an ok stay but I would highly recommend paying a bit more to stay at the moderate resorts to get the real Disney experience!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Sarejss
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

I've stayed at Value, Moderate and Deluxe resorts, but find myself always returning to or referring friends and family to Pop Century. Bear in mind that Pop Century is a Value resort, so if you are used to high-end properties then this resort would not be for you. However, if you are more budget-conscious, or simply prefer a value, then definitely check out Pop Century. My mind-set is that I only need a place to sleep, so I don't need all the frills. That being said, the property is themed really cute, is very clean, and is nicely laid out. There are three pools. You also have the choice of requesting a 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's themed section. The food court is huge with many selections, and there is a nice shopping area just off the food court. One of the most appealing aspects is that there is a dedicated bus service - meaning buses do not stop at other resorts. This resort is close to ESPN's sports complex. Animal Kingdom is the closest park, followed by Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Magic Kingdom is the furthest away at about a 15-20 minute bus ride. This resort has a connecting bridge to the new Animation Resort if you want to walk around and check it out or have friends/family staying there. A lot of families with small children prefer staying on a monorail property; however, I think for the price difference you just can't beat Pop Century. It's a great resort at a great value.

Room Tip: Preferred rooms are closer to the buses, main hall and pools. If it's tour group season, ask at...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank vakayplannerPa
Long Island, N.Y.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was the first time staying in a Disney property. The Hotel was just ok. I felt it needed a make over. Room was very small. I wish the cafateria had more to offer. The rugs seemed dirty and needed to be replaced. The tables weren't always cleaned off. Good value for a large family but I wouldn't stay there again.

1 Thank bcsrhome
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Let's be honest - value resorts at Disney are just that. Smaller rooms at a value price. Don't expect fancy surroundings or special amenities.

Having said that, how much time do you really spend in your room at Disney anyway?

The Pop Century rooms, while not huge, are certainly big enough to accommodate a family of four. They include two beds (sleep 4), a dresser, a table/chair set, and a divided bathroom (sink outside, stool and tub/shower inside), and enough floor space to move around and even set a few suitcases. The safe was big enough for our laptop, iPad, and several smaller items (wallets, etc.) and there was a curtain separating the bath area from the main room, so that the earliest risers in our party could get ready without disturbing the late sleepers as much. The rooms were clean, and what I would consider to be lightly-Mickey themed. They are not as elaborate as some of the other resorts, but again, if you are looking for value and plan to spend most of the day in the parks, this doesn't really matter as much.

We stayed in the area of the 50s closest to the main area (pool, food court, check-in) on the first floor. This was a "preferred" level room and we felt it was worth the minimal extra charge - something like $30 over 6 nights? The first couple of days there was no noise, and only minor noise on several subsequent days. We stayed during Spring Break, so a heavily-traveled time, and it wasn't any more that I'd expect at any hotel - normal sound of people coming in for the night or getting ready in the morning. Nothing loud or obnoxious or that kept us awake/awakened us.

When deciding whether to stay at Disney and where to stay at Disney, it sort of depends upon your goals for the trip. We were going to be Disney park exclusive for the first five days of our trip, which played into our decision. We liked the idea of taking the busses to the park, saving on parking and waiting related to parking, as well as rental car fees since we were flying in for this trip. We chose the Pop Century over Movies (where we have stayed before the Pop was built), Music and All-Star because the Pop has its own busses, while the other three share. We figured there was more of a chance of getting on right away and to the parks faster without multiple hotel stops.

The price of the value rooms is pretty comparable to some of the off-property hotel options, and in this case actually cheaper since we were able to take advantage of a 20% discount offer. Breakfast is not included, so you need to factor that into the cost, but we are Disney veterans and brought with us small packages of cereal, mini bagels, individual peanut butter cups, and granola bars, so that we didn't have to purchase breakfast. This kept our cost down, and offered up room for packing souvenirs for our return flight.

Other pluses are not dissimilar to what you'd find at other hotels. There is a free shuttle to/from the airport, which you probably find with many hotels. You can have packages sent from the parks to your resort for pick-up, which is nice so that you don't have to carry things around with you. You need to remember that pick-up is after 1:00 p.m. the next day, so don't send anything the day before if you are departing before 1:00 the following day! But, to be fair, you can also send packages to a holding area at the front of the parks if you stay elsewhere. It just might take longer to get them if there is a line at the end of the night and you are tired and ready to go back to your hotel. There is a food court, a gift shop with necessities as well as souvenirs, and there are pools - pretty typical hotel stuff. You can also start taking advantage of the Disney parks or the hotel pool before you are able to check-in (or after you check out) with the baggage storage area. We did not use this service this time, but have in the past and were pleased with being able to check our bags, head to the parks, and then officially check in later that evening once our room was ready.

The ambiance of the lobby and outdoor spaces, while not as elaborate as some of the other resorts on property, is fun and won't disappoint visitors. There multi-story characters represented in different areas (for example, fiberglass Tramp and Lady statues in the 50s) and outdoor staircases are enclosed in fun period icons (like bowling pins for the 50s or Rubic's Cubes for the 80s area). The lobby has lots of things to look at, and the food court plays cartoons in one area. Just remember that the food court is Disney-priced...you can probably find better meals at the parks, but will do in a pinch.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and found our room clean, quiet, and spacious enough for our needs. We have stayed here before, would stay again, and would recommend it for families, couples or singles keeping to a budget.

Room Tip: Ask about the preferred room charge - it may be worth it to be closer to the center (food, pool, bus...
7 Thank Family4RdTrip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Holiday Inn Orlando – Disney Springs Area
Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!