“Good and not so bad about POP (including food tips)”

Disney's Pop Century Resort
Ranked #138 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
nfo
“Good and not so bad about POP (including food tips)”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We booked POP century over the all stars and were happy we did that... hotel shuttle to parks and downtown disney is exclusive versus the allstars stopping at all resorts... we stayed in the 50 area, would probably preferred the 60 or 70's with a nicer and bigger pool. The standard room is just that... standard. pretty small motel style room, i found it relatively clean as well. no issues with phone calls and housekeeping... we did go in slow period and i thought we could have been upgraded to a better room but no chance at that... staff at the resort is very helpful and pleasant, and they really try tomake your vacation memorable. gift shop and restaurant on site are satisfactory with plenty of options for shopping and eating your food allowances. We did book the standard dining option and were happy with our choice... you can use your snacks for breakfast and kids are always welcome to order from the adult menu is included. Best choice for food on your dining option is by far
wolfang puck express in downtown disney... love to help for more questions please email me...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank myfotostudio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,004)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Our family spent 6 days at this resort and our experience ranged from great to horrible. I really liked the hotel at first glance but as our stay progressed things got progressively worst and at this point I would not go back or recommend it.

The Good
The hotel is well maintained (with the exception of the elevators). They take great care of the exterior with all of the decor looking great, nicely painted and the outdoors were cleaned everyday.

I really enjoyed the themes on the different buildings and courtyards. It was nice that you could play twister in one courtyard or table tennis in another. We chose to stay in the 80's building.

The pools were all very nicely designed and had lifeguards. The arcade had a nice variety of games for all ages.

The "OK"
There was a decent variety of food choices in the food court area but the choices themselves didn't really changed (minus some minor variations from day to day) so for our long stay we started to get bored from having the same food choices everyday. The food was usually good but sometimes it wasn't very hot and you could tell that it had been cooked hours ago.

The rooms were clean upon check-in and in good repair, there is no indication inside the room as to the theme of your building with the exception of 1 poster in the wall.

Our room was located in the 4th floor at the far end of the hallway so we expected it to be quiet, it wasn't so. Our 3rd floor room near the elevator at the All Star Sports Resort was quieter than this. Other than that we didn't mind our location.

Although not an issue for most people, there is no child proofing in the rooms. We had a 2.5 year old and 7 month old so this was a big concern for us.

The Bad

The food court was very chaotic at times, one Sunday morning the place was so busy for breakfast that there were no empty tables anywhere and people were waiting 30 minutes for a table. Things were busy but not so bad for other mealtimes.

I was disappointed that the public areas weren't very clean, specially the high traffic areas. With my most recent experience being at an All Star Resort in Disney which is very similar to this one the Pop Century is dirtier. There didn't seem to be as many cleaning staff and those present didn't seem very motivated and were low on energy. Most of the tables in the cafeteria were dirty and so were the areas around the beverage stations.

The arcade had a couple of massage chairs that look to have been broken for a long time, I don't know why they don't just take them out if they don't plan to repair them.
The button to automatically open the door leading to the food court for handicapped use didn't work. One of the elevators in our building was out of order 95% of the time and the other elevator was very slow even when nobody was using it. The whole building was well maintained except for the elevators which looked old and dirty.

The Ugly
There were several big groups at the hotel for part of our stay, most of them were nice and blended in fine. One group however was the nightmare of guest and staff member alike. The Fifteens were a group of hispanic teenagers with the worse attitudes and illusions of grandeur. They cut in line, left their trays at the tables, were rude to everyone and one of them even pushed my 2.5 year old while he was walking holding his father's hand. They were usually without supervision and in the rare occasions that the chaperones were seen they pretended to not speak English despite having heard them speak fluently when placing their food order. I speak Spanish so they switched to plain rude and insulting when they realized I understood them.

We complained to staff several times about this group and we were never the only people there complaining about them. Once the staff told us to go across the bridge to have breakfast at the Art of Animation because the Fifteens were not allowed there. That sounds reasonable in nice weather but the next day was bitterly cold and we weren't going to torture our children with a long and cold walk for this. Both guests and staff members cheered when this group got on their bosses never to return.

On the 3rd day of our stay I almost had a heart attack when I encountered a huge roach in our room. It was 9pm at night so I wasn't in the mood to switch rooms when our kids needed to go to bed but called the front desk to report the issue anyway. I had to listen to hold music for almost 5 minutes before a human being answered the phone. The front desk clerk then proceeded to explain about local wildlife called Palmetto Bugs as if this somehow makes it ok. I live in Florida, I know Palmetto Bugs, they are just oversized roaches and I shouldn't have any in my room! Why would I pay to have these pests as roommates?! She offered to send pest control first thing in the morning which I accepted.

The next day we have a friendly staff member with a flashlight and a can of insect spray that she refused to use because we have little children. The rest of the stay my husband witnessed staff with these cans in hand visiting many other rooms.

Our checkout morning was ruined when we received the statement showing a charge for $117 at T-Rex Restaurant in Downtown Disney, we have never been to that restaurant so my husband promptly went to the front desk to dispute the charge. They were nice and quick to refund the charge but then said that it would take up to a full billing cycle for the credit to appear in our debit card. Given that we made this trip on a very strict budget to meet out of town family this wasn't acceptable as we still needed to eat breakfast and drive home. The clerk offered to speak to my husband's bank to try to get them to credit the account faster. Meanwhile my kids were hungry and waiting for breakfast.

His pleasantries and language was nice but getting us nowhere so it wasn't until I started to get loud enough to attract the attention of nearby guests and staff when asking for a manager and my toddler yelled "hungry belly!!!" That he then decided to give us $40 cash saying "here at Disney we want children to be happy" so I could go and feed my son while my husband was stuck there for another 30 minutes on hold with the bank. We barely had the chance to check out on time and our whole morning was ruined and we left this hotel with a very sour aftertaste.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor.
12 Thank bandora
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The attention and service in this hotel was exceptional...the personnel was very kind and attentive. The room is the right size for a family of four and possibly a small 5th member and the beds were comfortable enough for our week long visit. We requested a room either in the 50's or 60's building and were pleased to be assigned to the 50's building 1. Really close to the food court and decent walk to the bus stop.

Room was very clean, spacious, has the nice mini fridge which we filled up with milk, water and yogurt. It has a small table with two chairs and a TV with a limited number of cable chanels, and of course, the chanel with the old mickey and cast shows. It was so nice to sit back with the girls and watch these shows with them. We were directly infront of the pin pool and while there were cheerleaders out at night, I barely heard any noise...I did hear the flushing toilest and running water early in the morning, but that didn't bother me.

The pools seeemed fine; we didnt' have time to spend the day in one...the girls took a dip the morning we left and came back really happy...At night, they play movies under the stars, directly infront of the food court by the Yoyo. It was a very special start to our vacation.

The Food Court was very well stocked...it has 4 stations I believe with varying meal offerings. For breakfast we typicallyy had the breakfast bounty platter ($8.59) and the girls would have a waffle or pancakes...some mornings I would share my platter with my oldest, it was that much! Bland platter, but very filling. The Pop waffles are made to order and are very good! My husband tried the meatloaf one night and the sevings were like those of a TV dinner, just like the platter it's served in...I must say though it was very tasty. I had the breaded chicken and alfredo pasta and it was close to nasty...it was boiled pasta and they poured a white sauce over it...chicken was edible but bland. Food isnt' stellar, but serves the purpose of sustaining you for quite some time. If you're on the DDP, you can use your dessert option to grab a box of cookies to take to the parks for snack (that's if you've had enough cheesecake or cupcakes) !

The buses were readily available; the most we waited was 15 minutes. We were at the closer parks within 10 mins and around 20 mins to the kingdom. Buses were very clean, well air conditioned and spacious.

Staying at a value resort makes so much sense when you're spending most of your days at the parks; why pay more for a higher tag resort when you're barely going to be there. Pop Century has it's own buses, which means you will not be making multiple stops before the parks and this transportation service is included in the price. That saves you the car rental and gas money, plus the hassle of driving to and from the parks. Save your money for souveneirs :-0

4 Thank Godiva99
Columbus Indiana
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Our Family of 3, 2 adults and 1 six year old, stayed here September 2011 for 6 nights. Upon arrival we were treated in the most magical ways. The staff was very helpful and very nice. They did not have any first floor rooms available since we arrived early, but they upgraded us to a better view in the 50's section. We were able to see Epcot Fireworks at night. Mousekeeping was the BEST and made sure that all the goodies/toys left in the room were rearranged so our daughter had a nice surprise every day coming back to the room. The whole area is very clean. We could hear some noise from other rooms around us (baby crying etc) but it was minimal and once in the room we were so tired, we still had no issues sleeping/relaxing. The pools are very nice/clean and we used them some nights into the wee morning hours. Overall we would stay here again especially for the price. We were not in the room much, we were usually in the parks or in the pool, so for the price I think it is a wonderful choice for families on a budget. Bus service was also fantastic. We never waited longer than 5 minutes for our bus.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank travelingdiva78
McHenry, Illinois
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was our family's second stay here, in the last 6 years. I am always impressed with the customer service & the cleanliness of all Disney properties including the parks. It's one of the main reasons I will always stay @ a Disney resort every time we go to FL. The staff is always accommodating any time we've ever needed something extra or a question answered. They go above & beyond to make you feel welcome & this resort deserves recognition for their dedication to the customer. We will definitely be back again!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank LuvMy2Kiddies
Beaumont, California
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a seven day Disney world vacation in the summer of 2012. I know that Disney has tons to choose from and offers some really fabulous rooms, but only if you have that kind of cash to burn. For my family, we chose to stay at the Pop and we absolutely have no regrets. As most of you know, the buses run to all the major parks and to Downtown Disney. The wait was never long, and since the Art of Animation wasn't open yet, we didn't have to share the bus with guests staying at the other hotels. The room itself was basic, yet adequate. The beds are okay, nothing like you would have at home or at a top notch resort. The decor is Disney and of course very colorful. All the rooms here have outside entrances, so no fancy lobby or anything to walk through. It was July when we went and right after we checked in, it started pouring so we stayed in the lobby area for a few minutes to wait it out before venturing out to find our room. The rain didn't bother anyone in the pool, and it never lasted long. We stayed in the 60's area with a room on the 3rd floor right around the corner from the pool. Thank goodness our room didn't face the pool because those people stay out all night. The hotel has a lot of walking paths with trivia and a bridge to the Art of Animation hotel. It has tons of photo op's and I highly suggest taking a pal and your camera to walk the grounds. The food at any Disney park is theme park food, but they try to give you some healthy options. Basically it is what it is, its Disney world. One thing we did was buy hot sandwiches and chips from Earl of Sandwich at Downtown Disney and we brought them back with us to the room. They are delicious, cheaper, and a good alternative from what was offered at the hotel restaurant. Overall we were happy campers here, we met a lot of nice people, and I will consider the Pop Century for our next Disney vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank beandipshell
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Hotel has all amenities nearby which is very convenient, and free transportation to the parks.
Beds are lumpy and uncomfortable. The real killer was the telephone call at 8:30 am. After ignoring it, housekeeping appeared shortly after and was knocking at the door. We told her to come back at 11. However, another phone call at 10am resulted in dead silence at the caller side. My tip would be to unplug your phone to avoid the calls and make your own "Do Not Disturb" sign to avoid interruptions.

2 Thank S Y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Holiday Inn Orlando – Disney Springs Area
Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!