“1st time at Pop Century and most likely the last.”

Disney's Pop Century Resort
Ranked #138 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Port Huron, MI
“1st time at Pop Century and most likely the last.”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just returned from a 6 day stay at Pop Century. Here are the pro's/con's:
Pro's:
*had a preferred room, so it saved on walking as it was closer to main building
*grounds are very clean
*pool area is very nice/clean
*activities for kids (nightly movies, pool side trivia/crafts)
*never waited longer than 10 minutes for a bus
*poolside bar
*clean/efficient laundry area
*desserts in food court were delicious

Con's:
*cleanliness of the room was less than desirable (I took soap and a wash cloth and cleaned surfaces, door handles, doors and the cloth was disgustingly black when I was done)
*LOUD groups of teenage cheerleaders from Argentina would at times swarm the common areas. They were rude and inconsiderate of other guests.
*night concierge told me she could print our boarding pass for Spirit Airlines as long as I didn't mind giving her the log in information. Went back the next morning to do so and was told they could not. I could walk to Art of Animation to their business center and do it there.
*food in common area was not very good. By the time you go through the checkout line and sit down, it's stone cold.
*Wi-fi in rooms is HORRIBLE. Would boot us off and we'd have to re-set device. This happened with multiple devices. Lobby Wi-fi worked great.
*beds were old and uncomfortable. Only 2 pillows per bed with no extras in our room.
*bed spread was NOT clean. We didn't use them as there were visible stains. yuck!
*no in room coffee maker.
*hair dryer was weak and it took forever to dry my hair.

I doubt I would ever stay at this resort again.

Room Tip: pay for a preferred room so you are closer to food court, especially if you need coffee in the morni...
2 Thank boogsy72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,036)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed here for one night. Between flights in and leaving on a Disney Cruise. The facility is average. Good value. Simple. The food area is chaotic with poor customer flow patterns. Food is average. Not much to do if you're not going to Disney World or the pool.

Chino Hills, California
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is a review of this year's trip to Disney World and we picked the Pop Century resort again. That should say a lot about how much we like this resort. There's not a lot I want to add to my review from last year other than to update our family experience. Last year, it was just 3 of us, two parents and a 15 month old. This year, it was 4 of us, two parents a now 2 year old and our 5 month old baby (both boys). The room we stayed in was large enough for us. These rooms are not big, but we are not in them much other than to sleep. If you plan on spending a lot of time in your room with more than 2 people you may want to look elsewhere. The confines are tight. The wife and I in one bed, the 2 year old in the other bed, and the 5 month old in the hotel-supplied pack 'n play.

The resort is still very clean and up to date. It probably looks very similar to how it did when it first opened. That is a lot more than I can say for most hotels of this age.

The service is still very good. Maid service was great, considering the amount of "stuff" we have for the four of us. Front desk and concierge were very informative and helpful. The service at the food court did slip a little versus previous visits. I noticed a lot of new trainees and that may explain the degradation. On two different occasions I recieved cold food. And on other occasions I was told I would have to wait 7-10 minutes for food to be ready, so I had to make other choices.

This is a "value" resort, but I think that it provides more than just value. The luggage service, airline check in, Magical Express and resort shuttle service are lot more than any non-Disney property can provide at the same price. Plus, how many hotels have food courts, arcades, multiple pools and a full service store? These value resorts offer a lot for the money especially if you go during the off season when prices are the lowest.

I would highly recommend a stay at this Disney resort. I'm sure we'll be back. The only reason we wouldn't stay here is if we can afford the next level up in the future.

Room Tip: We chose top floor and close to the lobby and elevator. Some room choices come at a premium which w...
2 Thank Tony B
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was our second stay at Pop Century (previous visit was 2009). We were there during the end of the year, busiest time of the year for WDW. Pop Century was still a great place to stay!

Cons: Yes, the room smelled stongly of cleaning agent when we first got there. Hello nice people out there -- it is Florida. We just opened the door for 20 minutes, turned up the heat to rewarm the room, and seriously, we didn't notice the cleaning smell again. The room we stayed in was small ,but we knew this already since we had stayed here before. Their restaurant and offerings are ok, but not great. Again, we knew this but tend to spend little time in the resort area so knew we could find better food offerings in the park.

Pro and Con: Disney quick service dining and the resort... We found it somewhat fun to find the most expensive and tasty food options at the various quick service dining areas. Pop Century's restaurant was ok for loading up on breakfast before hitting the park, and for filling up our mugs with ice tea, coffee, hot chocolate, etc. while sitting by the pool or while letting our tired feet rest in the seating areas or our room at the end of the day. If you are looking for a mini adventure, walk across the bridge to the Art of Animation resort and eat or have coffee there for some additional choices (we also hopped the bus back to the Art of Animation sometimes if it got there first so we wouldn't have to wait for the Pop Century bus).

Pros: The staff was kind and mostly efficient. The room was kept neat, even though it was small and kept getting bits of tourist items and papers added to every surface from each park each day of our stay. Challenge for any housekeeping crew so I commend them on their efforts. They make a decent effort to keep people entertained while hanging around the resort. The pool had some good entertainment during the day. There was a movie shown either outside or inside each evening. The place is kept in great shape, though you do need to adjust your thinking a bit about this during the holidays since the entire WDW systems gets overloaded by tourists and I did notice some areas that were less than pristine (this is not typical).

We would stay here again for sure.

2 Thank clbd
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was our second stay at the Pop Century. The woman who checked us in was VERY friendly and nice. We enjoyed spending afternoons at the pool because they play different trivia games that are fun for all ages. The customer service is somewhat lacking. We definitely knew that we were staying at a "value" hotel. We were put in a room with two full size beds and we had requested a king. The hotel was full so they were not able to accommodate us the first few nights we were there. When they were able to move us, our new room had a half eaten granola bar on the floor as well as a "First Visit" button. We were not really impressed with our stay and were disappointed with the level of customer service we received.

1 Thank pair-of-bears
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 5, 2013

If you plan to be in your room to sleep, the Pop Century is just fine. It is a clean, comfortable bed and bathroom at the end of a long day at Disney World that allows you to save a little cash on the hotel for money splurges in the parks. There is a fridge.

My friend and I stayed here for a three night stay. Because it is a Disney property, you have the convenience of having the shuttles to the park right there. There is a restaurant and large shop on the property as well. We stayed in the 80s section, which was great because it was near the shuttle stops, which was the only part of the property we used.

Note: Because this is a value resort, your bus slot at the parks will be one of the furthest from the park entrance. Just an FYI.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Shelton, Connecticut
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Just got back from a trip to Disney. Normally I stay at the Contemporary because I enjoy being on the monorail and I love to have easy access to a quick cup of tea or snack, etc. It's just a quick elevator ride down. Anyways, I wanted to do a short, inexpensive trip to Disney (there really is no such thing) and decided to try the Pop Century Resort. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was cute and clean. The Mickey shaped towels were a plus. We stayed in a preferred room in the 60s building. Just a short walk to the main building and buses. Since it was just my daughter and myself, there was plenty of room. The only problem that we encountered was that the Pop seems to cater to foreign teen groups. They were awful!!!! There were hundreds of them. They were rude and loud. Thank goodness, they were in the back buildings, so the only time that we really had to deal with them was in the food court and the bus stops of the parks. There were 2 evenings that we couldn't get anywhere near the food court, so we had to order pizza and had it delivered to our room. The bus stops at the the close of the parks was a zoo when they were there. The buses were fine, as Disney filled them one after another without stopping (we finally made the 4th one). There were just so many teens that were pushing, shoving, yelling and chanting. I felt badly for a young couple waiting at the bus stop. They had a young child who was crying and the dad was trying to cover his son's ears with his hands.The groups of teens were chanting (yelling) and trying to outdo each other. I know that this is not Disney's fault, but maybe they should spread the different youth groups through out the hotels.

Room Tip: Request a preferred room, so that your walk to the buses and food court are not too far. AND....ask...
1 Thank elv624
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!