“Awesome stay”

Disney's Pop Century Resort
Ranked #125 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed January 19, 2013

we stayed here December 30-Jan 1 2013. We arrive at the resort around 7am and we were able to check in. Our room was not ready but that was fine as we were headed over to EPCOT anyway. Around 8:15am we got a text message that our room was ready. We finished what we wanted to do at EPCOT and headed back to the hotel. Our room was in the 90's section on the first floor. This was our first stay at Pop Century we normally stay at All Star Sports. The room was nice and large enough for the 3 of us without us feeling like we were right on top of each other. Since we were only there 2 nights we did not get to explore the entire resort but the parts we did see were very nice. We ate a lunch and a breakfast at the food court. The lunch was just ok, it seemed like the 3 of us had to wait a very long time for our food to be prepared. Breakfast was fine, all we really wanted were our Mickey Waffles anyway. The resort is a lot larger than All Stars. We had no issues with the busses even though it was a very busy time at the resort.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank goofyfigment
Write a ReviewReviews (10,885)

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Pop Century is one of the best value hotels I've ever stayed in. You get the full Disney customer service experience and all of the amenities of staying on Disney property for a very low price. It's worth staying in a Disney hotel for the Magical Express alone: a free shuttle to and from the airport, with airline check-in and baggage claim at the hotel, saves a ton of money and time. Free and frequent shuttle buses to all of the Disney parks (and free parking if you want to drive there) makes getting to and from the parks easy and affordable. The "Key to the World," where you connect your credit card directly to your room key, allows you to purchase anything in the whole Disney complex without cards/cash, which was extremely convenient.

The hotel istelf, while far away from such parks as the Magic Kingdom, is close to Epcot, ESPN Wide World of Sports, and the entrance to the complex, which is great for travelers heading off Disney property. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful, as you expect from Disney, and are always available for your needs. The rooms were cleaned every day and the little Disney touches (the mouse ears on your complimentary shampoos, towel animals, etc.) make these hotel visits magical. The only downside was, because we were two adults without kids, we didn't get any towel animal arrangements in our room!

I received a room in the "1970s" section of the hotel, on the first floor. The hotel buildings are motel-style, with outdoor hallways and ice machines near the elevators. My room was facing the lake, so it was very quiet outside during all hours of the day and night. (If you get a room in the 1960s facing the kids' pool, expect to hear noise from the pool all day!) The grounds are kitschy and corny in the best way, with larger-than-life replicas of iconic objects from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s. Outside of our building, for example, there was a giant Big Wheel tricycle, a giant Mickey Mouse phone, and a huge foosball set!

The room itself is your standard hotel fare: two double beds (was disappointed to see the typical "hotel" bedspread), TV cabinet with a large flat-screen TV, desk and two chairs, and an adequate bathroom. There is a mini-fridge but no coffee maker. The bathroom was small, but I've certainly seen smaller, and the shower tiles could have used a re-grouting, but the room was clean and pleasant. The only complaint is that the walls are VERY THIN, so you can hear what's going on in rooms around you. Beware, because this could either mean small disruptions (hearing the next room's toilet flush) or a ruined sleep (neighbor kids screaming all night!)

The community areas are great and entertaining: three heated pools give you different levels of comfort (the 60s pool has a lot of music and games for kids, while the 50s and 90s pools are quiet and better for adults), and there is a video arcade inside the lobby. Every night around 7PM they showed a Disney movie on the grass for free, which can be great for winding down the kids at night. A gift shop inside the lobby is great for last-minute souvenirs you want to buy. And the cafeteria is great for breakfast: eggs, bacon, pancakes, and fresh-made waffles, to name a few. Lunch/dinner are not so great, with typical "theme park food" available, but it's worth it to have a reasonably-priced casual restaurant within walking distance to your room. Get the souvenir mug for $15 and get unlimited drinks at the hotel--it'll be worth it for your morning coffee alone.

This hotel was perfect for the trip I had planned: an affordable, pleasant room to collapse in after long days at the Disney theme parks. If I go to Disney again, I would like to try one of their more luxurious hotels, but for a simple place to rest your head (with all the resort amenities Disney has to offer), Pop Century is perfect.

Room Tip: Request a room in the 1970s facing the lake: it's the quietest part of the hotel. The 1960s are...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank honestyseasy
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at pop century in late October. We checked in without any issue and had our luggage brought to our room immediately which was great. However the walk from our car to our room was quite lengthy. The room was pretty basic but we were not in there a lot. I did find the comforter on the beds extremely heavy and not comfortable at all. I was disappointed that we only received towel animals once and the room was never cleaned to my liking. It seems as if it were cleaned to make it look presentable. The staff were very friendly and nice. The resort seemed clean for the most part. I even seen a couple men washing the elevator doors. I would stay at pop century again but only if I planned on spending most of my time at the parks.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Nice option who doesn't want to expend too much in a hotel. In this season holiday, it was my second time in Disney, and was too crowd, but worth it.

There is available free wi fi and parking too in the hotel. the shuttle service too all the theme parks of Disney World.

Although the food court has the same options that will find in the Disney Park, there isn't good. I don't think is necessary the dinning plan.

The employees were nice and helpful, and the cleaning and housekeeping was good.

Room Tip: Choose apartaments in the second or third floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Love being on Disney property and having use of the transportation. The food court here offered gluten-free selections that were fantastic! Thank you! Chef Josh did an amazing job with our gluten-free orders! We had 2 connecting rooms which worked on great for us.

Room Tip: Request a room close to the Reception Area. The property is very large and it was nice to have a ro...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I've stayed at just about every place on the property since 1975 and I'm Disney to the core. If you have kids, a tight budget, and aren't too picky about things this is a great place to stay. You should always stay on property at WDW because of the time and convenience factors at least. The party was myself, my wife, and my 12 year old daughter. We all know WDW inside and out but this would be our first experience in a "value" resort.

I've seen some folks complain about walking but if you can't handle some foot travel you are going to have more than the hotel to fuss about. We like to walk and I requested a room on the top floor, far end of the building, to cut down on noise from others. Glad I did because the walls in this place really don't stop much. Being at the end of the building with nobody over us helped. I always travel with ear plugs too. We all snore. :)

Housekeeping wasn't perfect. When we arrived the pull out clothesline in the shower still had hangers on it. Later I saw the housekeeper for our room and she was about five feet tall in her shoes. Now I get it. Toilet paper always seemed to be an issue as well. I've read that from others and I don't get it. I took to robbing and extra roll or two every time we passed a maid cart. Problem solved. It was never less than perfect anywhere else I've ever stayed at WDW but we aren't fussy guests and got over it. We aren't picky eaters either and that was probably a good thing. Food is bountiful but kind of pricey. At the wrong time of day lines could be long and kind of slow. It's kind of an organized chaos at the food court but nobody starved. When we wanted to do some serious eating we waited for one of the nice restaurants in the parks. One highlight was an Italian place in Epcot one night. That's the way to do it.

Nice place with a great pool and grounds. Maintenance seemed to be in the way often unlike other hotels at WDW where they are generally invisible. At least they were doing their jobs.

All in all it's a great place for the money. Minor picks but nothing that would keep you from having a great time. Like all travel, anywhere, be prepared to roll with it a bit. We had a great time but I'll probably upgrade to the Caribbean Resort next time.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mduncan36
Reviewed January 15, 2013

If you want to get the Disney Resort experience for under $100/night Pop Century in the off-season is awesome. The buildings are only what they need to be - concrete monoliths with places to sleep and walkways to get there. The wireless internet works, although barely, but enough to read e-mail and do some things online, everything except the Disney.go.com sites, which now are the most grotesque bandwidth hogs on the internet (Disney BADLY NEEDS a low-bandwidth site option). It is practically impossible to exlpore park options and make eating reservations over Pop Century's low-bandwidth. For that, I rate the "Rooms" average.

The Pop Century restaurant is impressively good for a cafeteria, with perfect hours 6am to midnight, and complete with fresh fruit, single-serve cereals, bagels/muffins, and half-gallons of milk you can buy any time of day and take back to the mini-fridge in your room to set-up for breakfast in your room the next morning. For dietary needs, the chef comes out and will make gluten-free stuff, even waffles, pasta, and desserts. They give you a little remote-buzzer so you don't even have to wait around while they custom-make your food at no extra charge. They even had outdoor movies on an "Open Air Cinema" system right by the cafeteria after dark.

Also, like the big moderate Disney Resorts, Pop Century doesn't share its shuttles with any other resorts. On the good and bad side, there is only one pick-up and drop off so if you get there early, you get a good bus seat.

Besides swimming pools, the outdoor movies at night, and a small arcade, there appear not to be many kid's activities compared to the Moderate resorts.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the pool are quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank dmpdsc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
2 mi away
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!