“I've really grown to love this resort!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Disney's Pop Century Resort

Disney's Pop Century Resort
Ranked #142 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Orlando, Florida
“I've really grown to love this resort!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I recently returned from a trip 10.27-10.31 which would be my 3rd stay here. I checked in with a wonderful young lady named Hannah from England; she was incredibly helpful and cheerful. I had originally requested a room without a connecting door as families are up really early and I prefer to keep the noise level to a minimum. Hannah was able to switch my room to one without a connecting door and even got me upgraded to a pool view room for no additional charge!

I was located in the 50s, building 3 and had a nice shot of the pool which was appropriately shaped as a bowling alley. The 50s are very close to the main building and very convenient although we didn't spend much time at all in the food court.

The FSA Terry was incredibly helpful in sorting out my room charges at the end of the stay as my friend and I wanted to split 3 of the nights evenly and concierge was great at getting our boarding passes printed out 5 minutes before they closed for the evening.

The location is great and you can get some great deals during your stay (I got a discount being a Passholder). The bridge is also open between Pop and Art of Animation so you can spend some time walking over there to check it out; that resort is gorgeous!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,957)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed at this resort mainly because of the price. Pretty much what you'd expect from Disney at this price point: great theming, good transportation, a basic food court (only open 6:00 am until midnight). Only sore point for us was the beds. I can deal with double beds, but the mattresses were so broke down that you could feel the springs in them and they sagged in the middle. We were in the 70's section, building 10.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I recently stayed at Pop Century Resort with my Grandson it was fine until the hotel became full then trying to get a meal and a table was crazy!! To many people in one area at a time long lines, My grandson and I wanted food from 2 different areas this meant one of us was eating cold food. Other then that the room was clean staff was friendly.

1 Thank Mary Ellen S
Levittown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here with the family for the kids (1 and 3) first time going to Disney. Resort is nice and clean, and the individuals working there were all very friendly and accommodating. Originally booked the room for 5 Days but because of hurricane Sandy, we had to stay another 2 since our flight home was canceled. Didn't have to switch rooms which was very nice.

The cafe has a decent offering for fast service food. Room was cleaned thoroughly daily which should be expected. Stayed in building 3 (pool view) which was quiet, but a little walk to the main hall and buses.

We did have a problem with the TV, they have about 60 Channels, but barely anything the kids would want to watch, plus when my wife wanted to watch something the signal (DirecTV) would act up. This was without clouds, but windy, so that may have been to blame. My problem was with the free WiFi offered throughout the resort... it would connect, I would login as requested and average 3megs d/l speeds. The problem is it would cut out after about 2-5 minutes. It would still show I was connected and had great signal, but no bandwidth.

I would reco for high value as long as you don't need any tech gadgets (good TV or WiFi).

Its about 15 minute bus ride to magic kingdom, other parks were closer. buses were always prompt which was nice.

Room Tip: Bring a thermos for drinks to refill your mugs. Rooms away from the pool or common areas are quieter...
3 Thank Jason_D215
Mid Atlantic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

We just returned from spending 7 nights in 4 rooms with a family group ranging in age from 4 years old to 75. We all loved the Pop Century. The hotel represented not only a great place to stay but a great value!! Here is our collective review:

1. It's a RESORT! Yes, it is a budget hotel, but it is a resort budget hotel with incredible service. The hotel has 3 pools, and we truly enjoyed spending time at the Hippy Dippy Pool where games and family themed events are held every afternoon at 3 pm and 4 pm. A check-in, we received a full listing of all events being held at the resort, many of them centered around the pool. There is a festive atmosphere at the pool, a laundry room nearby, a bar with unique drinks (the Lava Lamp!), and ample seats and lounge chairs. The resort also offers concierge service, which encompasses much of the front desk area of the hotel. We found their services incredibly helpful and they answered every little question we had. We also had some high maintenance members of our group, who wanted more towels, or a look-see from maintenance at the fridge, or a cable checked for TV. Yes, we had all those questions and I dare say staff literally ran to our room. They were there in moments and we never waited for anything. I also found the housekeeping staff to be incredible and the rooms left tidy with sweet towels decorated in the Disney theme every day!

2. Lush landscape - We really enjoyed the beautiful plants and walking areas at the hotel. There is a mesmerizing lake with ducks and a walking path with areas to sit and reflect on the "magic" of Disney, or life. The only negative about the walking path is that there are smoking areas interspersed along the path, something I wish the hotel would change (as the parent of an asthmatic). We walked across the bridge to the Art of Animation (A of A) and found the A of A to be hot and exposed to the sun, without any reprieve or shade. Instead of lush plants like at the Pop, there are broken up seashells. We also understand from talking to guests at the A of A that the standard (non-suite) rooms are quite a hike from the main lodge/dining area. We also noticed a terrible stink (like a dirty dog) in the dining hall and although we had planned to eat at A of A, we couldn't stand the smell. I also noticed considerable crowds at the A of A, I think this is because the hotel is mainly suites, so each room holds more people, yet the main areas and dining hall are smaller than the Pop!

3. Bus service - We never waited for a bus and when I read reviews, I didn't quite understand the importance of this factor. The Pop has a bus to each theme park, in addition to a bus just for Downtown Disney. The buses to and from Pop are not shared by other hotels. We rented a car at the start of our vacation, being Disney first-timers (with the aforementioned high maintenance factor), we thought we would need our own car. How wrong we were! We returned our car early in our stay at the Hilton Bonnet Creek after we determined that parking, even with a AAA Diamond Parking Pass, was such a long way from the entry to the theme parks. The air conditioned bus, on the other hand, dropped us right at the door, and picked us up there, too! After walking 8-10 miles a day (we tracked it), we did not feel like wading through another stop or two to arrive at a hot car. Speaking of the Hilton Bonnet Creek, I used their bus service to meet up with our group at Magic Kingdom after dropping the car and had a chance to examine that hotel and their bus service. The Hilton (as a non-Disney property) offers a bus shared with the Waldorf Astoria and we were loaded up and dumped at the Tickets and Transportation Center at Magic Kingdom, in the middle of a huge parking lot - in the middle of a parking space - and told to return there for return transportation. Mind you, this was a bus that only ran once an hour and required a haul from the hot concrete parking lot to either a ferry or the monorail to arrive at Magic Kingdom. Dripping sweat and disoriented, I missed the luxury of the Pop buses and immediately vowed never to stay off Disney property.

4. Airport Transportation - We took up Mickey and signed up for the Magical Express back to the Orlando Airport. Our shuttle was set to leave at 5:55 am, and prior to that, Pop staff (at least 8 people) were present to assist us with checking in to our flights and transporting our luggage to the airport for us. If you are really counting your dollars, as we do, the airline check-in at Pop was $1 cheaper per suitcase versus checking in at the airport. When you have a lot of people traveling, this adds up! The bus to the airport was again such a nice touch and really facilitated our early morning departure. Our group traveled to a variety of destinations from Orlando and every one of us reported that our bags were the FIRST to come out at baggage claim. Nice touch Pop! Thank you Aixa!!

5. The hotel is FUN! There is lemonade when you check in, bubbles and huge Legos at the bus arrival area, and a party at the pool every day. There is nostalgia to walk around and appreciate, great photo ops abound, and the Hustle and Twist dances every day at the dining hall and front desk area. Seeing our 75 year old family member twist with the 4 year old was memorable and that's why we went to Disney! There was also an excellent display of beautiful pumpkins - all done by staff - and guests were able to vote on the best pumpkin, scariest pumpkin, etc. Some guests must be return visitors, because people decorated their room windows like college dorms, with signs like "Happy Birthday!" It was a warm and welcoming place to stay, we loved it.

6. What we learned:

a. There is wine and liquor available for sale in the gift shop and dining hall.

b. There are standard and preferred rooms. Unlike most hotels, preferred doesn't mean better, it just means less walking. We stayed in a standard room and it's our opinion standard rooms are quieter. Preferred rooms cost $15/day per room more. Personally, I am not in favor of paying for a noisy room! The standard rooms we had were maybe a few short steps away from the preferred rooms, but we didn't mind, because our rooms were quiet and the elevators are plentiful and work like a charm.

c. There is no need to rent a car!

d. The Disney Dining plan is worth every dollar. We splurged and got the deluxe dining and used every bit of the credits, even using snack credits remaining on the last night to take packaged treats home to family and friends. I recommend Artist Point or the Flying Fish for a two credit dinner.

e. If you pre-pay with a travel agent, like we did with AAA, keep your invoice handy. We were overcharged, although we had paid in full. I simply presented our invoices and we were refunded $200 at check-out. I was also asked to pay $1500 at check-in, which was another time when I presented my paid-in-full invoice and the issue was resolved.

f. There are a number of websites devoted to the loyal Pop following - Pop Century Tribute page being one of them. I recommend researching those websites in advance and using the guidance provided on that site to request a room when you make a reservation.

g. Yes, the rooms are small but they have everything you need! I fretted about the room size (269 sq ft?!!!), but the room was ample and I never regretted the decision to book our rooms there. I would have regretted spending the money many other Disney resorts were charging after I saw how clean and well cared for the Pop is. Also, unlike other resorts we saw, Pop has ample grounds and green space, so nice for the eyes and for enjoying the Florida landscape.

h. We loved the dining hall - especially Mom's Night Out with turkey dinner! Those are some of the most delicious mashed potatoes I've ever eaten! Oh and the Pop waffle with strawberries!!! And the Mickey Mouse Oreo cupcake!

We loved the Pop and can't win to return!!!! You can't go wrong with the savings, the service is 5 star, and family environment was perfect. It is a clean hotel with great value and we loved it!!!!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
17 Thank WaterUnderBridge
Alachua, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here this month for the first time and it was awesome. Every disney hotel is great but we loved how we were treated here. We were welcomed home from the moment we parked the car. The room was great. Had clean towels everyday and our room when we got back from the parks was always fresh and spotless!!

3 Thank Stacy H
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

We had a suite at the Art of Imagination located next door, both properties are connected by a bridge, and two rooms at the POP. The property was alright, the pool was great and the kids loved it. They kept running back and forth from one pool to the other.

But here is why I'm giving this resort 3 stars. The beds. They were so uncomfortable! I had a back ache for two days straight after my stay. I thought it was just me, but my mother in-law, my husband, my sister in-law and her husband all complained about the beds. I'm not very picky, but these beds were just awful. I've traveled to many countries including 3rd world countries and slept better.

Also, housekeeping decided to walk in at 8:15 a.m. while we were sleeping and woke us up. My husband was fuming because we were exhausted from walking all day at the theme park the day before. And instead of just walking back out, she yelled out "I'll be back, I'll be back!". Keep in mind, we did have the 'Do not disturb' sign on our door.

I personally won't be returning to this resort, but would still recommend it to those who don't mind very uncomfortable beds. Nevertheless, it is a fun resort.

We stayed here because we were attending the Epcot Cntr's Food and Wine Festival, which was awesome!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Besitos22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Holiday Inn Orlando – Disney Springs Area
Disney's All-Star Movies Resort
Disney's All-Star Music Resort
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
Disney's All-Star Sports Resort
Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort

Been to Disney's Pop Century Resort? Share your experiences!