“unique experience - choose your room wisely”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Ranked #39 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
washington, dc
“unique experience - choose your room wisely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2011

As other reviewers have said, this hotel offers an experience that you will not get anywhere outside of Africa, which is worth the price. The resort itself is also well done, if inevitably a little artificial. Savannah view rooms are worth the price (I am not sure we would have wanted to stay here otherwise), but note that all Savannah View rooms are not the same. We stayed for two nights; the first of our Savannah view rooms looked across to another wing of the hotel and did not have the feel of Africa at all. The giraffes came for the food left for them every morning and departed immediately when they'd finished. We asked for a room change, and were provided a room that looked across to the time share (Kidani Village, I believe it's called). This was far better - more animals, and something of the feeling of Africa (we have been to Kenya and Tanzania five or six times). Giraffe, zebra, wildebeast hung out all evening, and we could watch the sunset. As far as I know, there was no price difference in the rooms, but the experience was completely different.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
18 Thank Friquent_traveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,779)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
East Bridgewater, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

I cannot recommend Animal Kingdom Lodge enough! My new hubby and I stayed at the Kilimanjaro Club level. Ths savanah view is well worth it. One night we even had a giraffe sleeping right outside our window. The staff is beyond courteous. My husband and I can be very picky and I can honestly say we never experienced even the smallest problem. The grounds are always clean and several times we saw some kind fo improvement happening. ie: painting, etc. I do recommend a rental car over the bus since it is one of the further resorts from the parks (with exception to Animal Kingdom). But if you are looking for a clean, luxurious, home away from home with a twist this is the place to go! Five stars all the way!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank anangel32003
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

This hotel was the most wonderful place I have ever stayed at!! The place was spotless, the views of the animals were amazing from our balaconey. The attention to details with the furniture and the carpet to have the lion king theme was amazing!! The use of the buses and transportation was great to use on the Disney property. It was the most beautiful and wonderful place i have ever stayed in! well worth the money and expense anytime!! The swimming pool was amazing as well!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank vfoppe
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2011

We loved Animal Kingdom Lodge! We had a Savannah view room and saw plenty of giraffe, zebra, Tommys and other animals during our stay. What a treat to sit on the small deck and watch them eating in the early evening.

The restaurants at AKL are great - Boma has a great breakfast buffet and we had an awesome dinner at Jiko.

We've stayed at French Quarter on prior visit and AKL was definitely a step up. No Wifi as others noted but heck - it's vacation - who needs the internet! Wired internet access is available if you really need an online fix.

We'll be back!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NapaWineLover
St Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2011

I just returned from a lovely trip to WDW with my husband and 1 1/2 year old. We booked the AKL and could not have been happier. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. We had a savannah room, which is well worth the money. My daughter woke up every morning wanting to look at the animals outside. The room was nice, not my style of decoration, but large and we had a fridge. The pool was very large and looked nice. We didn't get to try it as it was too cold during our stay. We ate at Bomi for breakfast and it was delish! My daughter has food allergies, but we were able to talk to a chef and get her something to eat. We also ate at Sanaa at the Kidani Villages for dinner one night, which I highly recommend. The reason I didn't give this hotel 5 stars is the beds weren't very comfortable (we had 2 queens and my husband and I ended up sleeping in separate beds). A downside as well was how far this hotel is from a lot of attractions at AKL. Although we did go during off season so the wait for buses wasn't very long to the parks, but we did wait a long time to return.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank STLWildflower
Lake View, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2011

me and my family stayed here and we enjoyed every mintue. the decore was amazing the rooms were clean and fearly well decorated although the drives to the parks was a little long it was worth it our room was on the first floor it was easy to get everywhere we were so close to the pool my children loved the pool they were in it every second they could i would recommend this hotel to EVERYONE!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank beaniegirl6
illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2011

I teach a class in our local Community College on touring WDW, so we (wife and I) have been to WDW at least once each year since it opened in 1971. We always stay at a different on-site hotel to keep up on things. Because I have a class coming up in March, and since we had not stayed at AKL since just after it opened, we decided to stay for an extended weekend from 2/04 to 2/09. Our flight out of Chicago got us to the hotel shortly before noon, and we had previously used the on-line check-in service. When our reserved room was not yet ready, we were offered an alternate which was ready. The alternate was a handicapped accessible room and because it was on the same level as the lobby and only four rooms away from the lobby it worked out fine. We had a view over the Sunset Savanna, and were able to view giraffe, zebra, eland, ostrich, and various other fauna, mostly in the late afternoon or early evening.

The facilities in the room were much the same as I remembered from our earlier stay, and the service, etc. was generally up to Disney standards. We had breakfast and dinner in the Boma restaurant which was great. The Mara quick-service restaurant was fine for breakfast on the other days. Other meals were taken either at the theme parks, at Downtown Disney, or at the other hotels. Because we always rent a car at the airport, access to the major theme parks was not problem. We did not take any of the Disney buses, having learned our lesson about commuting times in the past.

My only real complaint was the lack of wifi in the hotel. Recent trips around the US and throughout Europe, we were almost always able to check email, etc., via my laptop which is always with me. At AKL, I had to rely on my phone for receiving emails, but i have found it much more difficult to respond on a smart phone (my fingers are too big for the keyboard, and I'm too old to be able to use only my thumbs like my grand kids do). I mean, come on this is the 21st century.

So, our stay was comfortable, but we have always enjoyed the WDW hotels. If not for the lack of computer facilities, I would probably rated this hotel five rather than four stars.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Michael C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort
Lake Buena Vista
Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort

Been to Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge? Share your experiences!