“Animal Kingdom was fantastic.”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Ranked #40 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed May 21, 2005

Just got back from Walt Disneyworld and I have to say it was one of the best vacations I've had.We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and it was stunning,from the lobby to the room to the pool,absolutly beatiful.I also stayed at the Boardwalk Villas for part of my trip and although it was very convenient to get to MGM and Epcot it could not hold a light to the Animal Kingdom Lodge.The restaurants in the Kingdom(Jiko and Boma as well as the counter service Mara)were wonderful as well.Our check in took no longer than 5 minutes and everyone was friendly and helpful.
At Disneyworld the lines were nothing like I expected.We must of picked a great week to go because with the exception of magic hours nights we did not wait on any line for more than 20 minutes,most of the time not even that long.The fastpasses are also a great invention and must come in really handy on the really busy days.We went the 2nd week in May.
All in all everything was wonderful.Loved it and will go back to the Animal Kingdom Lodge again and again.

21  Thank hstar29
Write a ReviewReviews (7,267)

Reviewed May 21, 2005

We spent 3 nights at the Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge as part of a 6 day visit to Florida. The plan was to take my 9 year old son for a whirlwind tour of 4 parks in three days.

My husband has wanted to stay at this hotel ever since he learned that it was being built. We have stayed at the Yacht Club (in 2000) and he has also stayed at the carribbean beach resort about 14 years ago.

The decor is amazing as always- I cannot complain about that. The ability to see the animals is a treat.

HOWEVER: we had planned to use the "magic your way" express from the airport- but never received any documents or information prior to leaving home, so we instead decided to keep our rental car and drive to the resort.

When we checked in at approximately 10:30 am (the first of our three days in the parks) we were given a DIRTY room. We were given absolutely no information about the resort, the park hours, or any type of welcome packet. All we were given was a map of the resort and the maps of the four parks.
Since we didn't want to waste time, we dropped off our luggage, put on some sunscreen, and headed to Magic Kingdom, expecting the room to be cleaned when we returned.

When we arrived back, tired and hungry, the beds had been made but the room still had the the dirty towels, used soap, used dental floss, and former room occupants trash in it. Needless to say, I had to make a request to have the room cleaned and to specify to have the sheets changed. I got no more than an apology for the misunderstanding.

The next morning we took one look at the pool and almost became ill. It was green and cloudy. My son was hoping to get to go swimming, since it was still cold in New England, but even he didn't want to go in after looking at the condition of the water. Absolutely filthy and disgusting.

The resort was also beginning to show some signs of wear.

I would say- do not stay here! It was not worth the price- you are not getting anything better here than you would at any of the Disney hotels.

The restaurants were outrageously overpriced. Buffet breakfast for the three of us was over $45.00, and there were no real special items available beyond omelets made to order. These are Hawaii prices, but not Hawaii quality.

The appearance of the parks was also dissappointing. They are not as clean as they used to be, and the staff are not as helpful, or friendly as they used to be. The sight of McDonalds everywhere was also not what was expected in a Disney experience.

We did have a good time, but this is the last time for us at Disney.

When we arrived home, we found the information for our "magical express" package, including coupon for complimentary lanyard and trading pin for my son.

I called customer service to voice my complaints about the resort and the delayed documentation and they really did not seem to care. The only response about the condition of the pool was "did you speak to the hotel manager?" and a promise to be called by him. That was last week and I never received a call.

• Stayed: May 2005
13  Thank Makai7
Reviewed May 18, 2005

I stayed at AK Lodge in Disney back in late March for 5 nights. The reason for selection of this hotel was Disney annual passholder rate of $199, which is great for "Deluxe" resort. First of all, they should not label this hotel as "Deluxe". As stated in this list many times before, the hotel is very dark, and has murky smell. My request for upper floor was not honored and I was put on the first floor with the view of the walkway to the pool. What was funny was that the front office person refused to tell me which floor I was placed on just 30 minutes before the check-in time as if it is a national secret.

The room was murky, damp, and tiny, tiny, tiny. I found mosquitos in the room. 2 kids and 2 adults in that tiny and dark room for 6 days in a row was very tough. It is a very ill-designed hotel, as it took more than 10 minutes from the room to the front door. The pool was absolutely dirty. My kids refused to go back to the pool after the first jump-in. People save loungers with towels and do not remove them when they leave. They never enforce any policy about them, and I did not see any crew going around picking up those towels, so there are a lot of empty loungers with towels on, and many more people wandering about looking for place to sit.

A lot of people complain about restaurants or lack of them, and I never attempted to eat at the hotel. The least amount of time spent at the hotel was better. The service was almost nonexistent. Immediately after I came home, I was e-mailed guest survey from Disney so I vented out everything, but I was never contacted back.

I have been an avid Disney visitor for the last few years, and I sense quality changes in Disney hotels. They are getting older, and they charge enormously for those rooms. You can never get less than $300 for deluxe resorts whereas if you drive a few minutes out, you can stay at wonderful hotels for half as much. We still enjoy Orlando immensely, however, I would think twice about staying at Disney hotels. This was it for us.

• Stayed: March 2005
12  Thank alshin
Reviewed May 17, 2005

This hotel rocked. My three year old loved it and so did I! We were actaully there during the big hurricane in Sept 2004, so we got put on lockdown, but they had just tons of stuff to do for the entire family! They kept the poor staff there for a couple days to enetertain us, but they were good sports. We loved the shuttle service and if you stay here you have to stay Savannah side, we giraffes right in our faces! We stayed on the second floor and that was perfect, there a ton of different animals out everyday, The pool area is great, the gift shop is enormous, and the restaurants are definetly interesting! I was totally impressed with the lobby, it is awesome! The deco of the place is fantastic, our favorite resort at Disney so far!

• Stayed: September 2004
17  Thank alidiffin
Reviewed May 4, 2005

We live in Tampa and decided to go to Animal Kingdom (as we've done all of the other theme parks several times) and spend the day as we've never been to this particualr park and then on to Animal Kingdom Lodge after our day at the park. We had a savannah view room and we loved it. We saw lots of animals!
Yes, it's "dark" in the hotel, but we thought that's what gave it character along with all of the awesome design and architectural features that where there. The property was great and the employees that we had dealings with were pleasant.
As noted it was hard to get a reservation at the resturants, but we made due with the other options that were available!

• Stayed: June 2004
19  Thank FLMonaLisa
Reviewed May 3, 2005

We have stayed at the AKL two different times, once in a standard room and once in a savannah room. We had three rooms each time and our family absolutely loves this resort. The gift shop, the lobby, the pool, the animals, and the restaurants were all great. We ate breakfast and dinner at Boma once and most of the time at Mara for a quick inexpensive meal. Check in was a little slow but nothing that would make us not stay there again. We did not find it too dark but very relaxing and quiet, and only l time did we have to wait quite a while for a bus to leave one of the parks. We were fortunate enough to get a great rate, $l09 standard, $119 savannah, so we feel we definitely got our monies worth.

Stayed: September 2004
18  Thank jolily
A TripAdvisor Member
Madison, WI
Reviewed May 2, 2005

In December of 2004, my fourteen year old son and I stayed at the Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge for 3 nights. The hotel was lovely. It was all decorated for Christmas and they had special events going on at the hotel. All of the hotel workers that we came in contact with were friendly and courteous. It was so much fun to step out on your balconey and see animals. The hotel has big picture windows you can look out of as well. There are areas on some of the floors of the hotel, where you can step out on a large balconey and there are chairs and viewing glasses to see the animals up close. The swimming pool area was clean and pleasant. I would highly recommend this hotel. The bus service was efficient and the bus drivers were very pleasant.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member