“Enjoyed the stay at the AKL but the transportation leaves much to be desired.”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Ranked #35 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed January 13, 2005

Our family of 3 stayed here from January 2 to January 5 after booking a Savannah view room at $160.00 per night. My son who is 10 enjoyed seeing the animals from the room. Upon our arrival around 11:30 a.m., the rooms at the inner circle were not ready until after 3:00 p.m. and we got a room where most of the time we were only able to see the zebras very sporadically (about three times during our stay) and very far away. We only saw a giraffe once. The only animals we could see every day during our stay were the pink white pelicans! If our room rate had not been obtained during a special reduced rate period, I would not recommend a savannah view room. You can see the animals with the night vision binoculars from the first floor animal area asking one of the attendants much better than we could from our room. My son enjoyed watching them at night with the binoculars. I objected about the 4th floor after reading from several sources that rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor are preferable because the tree tops interrupt your view of the animals. The lady that assigned our room indicated that in the area we were getting there were not as many trees. Not true and very misleading. I would not pay more than $160.00 for a savannah view unless you are actually assigned to the inner circle.

I found the buffet breakfast reasonably priced and very good. You get croissants (chocolate and plain) other pastries, plenty of fresh fruit, cereals, scrambled eggs, bacon etc and also you can have an omelet made to your preference (ham, cheese, bacon, mushrooms, or veggies). There are some african entrees that I did not taste, but they looked appetizing. This breakfast is much better than the breakfast menu at the Wilderness Lodge (where we stayed for 4 nights) which we found much more expensive and not as good, even greasier. Also the Wilderness Lodge has a much smaller breakfast area than the AKL. At the Wilderness Lodge you have to wait sometimes a 1/2 hour or more to be seated. At the Wilderness Lodge the ambience is much lauder because the waiters make believe they are hillbilies and even though they make you laugh it gets very loud. The servers are better at the AKL than at the Wilderness Lodge where they are not as prompt.

In terms of the rooms, the two Resorts are exactly the same in square feet and layout. The only difference is the decor. My only complaint about this resort (AKL) was the bus service. That prevented me from giving this resort a rating of "Excellent". I agree with another writer that you must plan for an hour to get to the parks and to a restaurant. In fact, we had priority seating planned for 6:30 for most nights and we found that we were better off if we had the seating for 8:00 or 8:30, otherwise we had to leave the parks too early. While we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge we enjoyed the proximity to the parks but hated the breakfast.

If I had to choose between the two resorts (AKL or Wilderness Lodge) I would stay at the AKL because of breakfast and the animals.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (7,215)

Palm Beach, Fl
Reviewed January 12, 2005

This was an amazing hotel! I loved how the pool was open 24 hours so you could go down and swim without Kids. My favorite part was waking up and seing the animals in the savanna outside. Its was an amazing experience and everyone in our party enjoyed it.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 12, 2005

I was running in the Disney Marathon on Sunday Jan 9th and arrived on Friday, Jan 7th at 9AM. They were wonderful in accomodating me VERY early and sent us to a upgraded savannah room on the Ostrich Trail 3rd floor. The wait in the lobby was a little longer than I expected, but I was checking in when families were checking out...so that was so be expected. At 11AM (check out time) came, the lobby was dead...so that would have been much better!

Upon arrival, we parked in the self park lot (FREE) but the valet parking is only 6$...good price for Disney. The self park lot is only a few feet further than the valet lot and it was quite a nice walk anyways. No one offered to take our baggage to the room, but again..there were lots of people leaving and since we didn't do valet, we really weren't important to them. At 300 a night...I guess they should pay a little more attention to us next time!

Our room was wonderful. Great size for 2, but it may get crowded with kids or more adults. Keep in mind that Disney charges 25$ per adult over the allowed "2" per room. We only had 2, but I was interested to learn that!

The decor of the room was great. Perfect viewing of all of the feeders and giraffee were outside our window at all hours! Comfortable beds, but it is a little loud when other guests take showers or flush the toliet. We heard no noise between walls or in the hallway. And I know there were people next to us on both sides! Did not hear any footsteps above us either...good sign of a well built building!

Dinner was a BOMA the first night...and oh my god was it the best buffet I have ever eaten. HIGHLY recommend the punch that they make there. Desserts were wonderful...had thirds on most of everything! Salad dressings were creative, unique, and super tasty! Soups were to die for. Mara has wonderful salads and soups....which can also be found in BOMA. I did get desserts from BOMA at Mara a few times...and remember that it is cheaper walking to Mara than ordering it through room service! Mara food is really good and not very expensive. The 11$ mug deal for unlimited drinks is a good idea if you are going to be around for a few days! But I just refilled my cup while I was at the pool a few times and it was all the same...and 10 bucks cheaper lol.

I recommend this hotel to a family who is planning on some relaxation during their stay. If you are going to be rushing around the parks, then this would be a major waste of money for you. You can see animals at Animal Kingdom. You need to sit outside on the balcony and *watch* them...go for a stroll on the savannah or even sit by the fire at night! The pool was awesome and really needed on the unusally hot days! They have alot of kid stuff to do during the day...so you really can get your monies worth!!

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 8, 2005

We just returned from a 6-night stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge (so we were there off-peak). We found the ambience to be a refreshing, peaceful change from the crowds in the parks. The front desk service was efficient and helpful, and we were happy to learn that they now have refrigerators in all of the rooms. The zero-entry pool was fantastic for our toddler, though he was disappointed that he couldn't go down the slide (solo riders only). Jiko was fabulous, as was Boma, and Mara provided convenient quick meals. We were upgraded to a savannah-view room, which turned out to be great--nothing like watching the wildlife at dawn! This lodge is definitely not convenient in terms of getting to and from the parks quickly, but if you're not on a tight schedule and are looking for a relaxing atmosphere, this is a great place.

• Stayed: January 2005
14  Thank allergymom
Reviewed January 5, 2005

My sister and I stayed here for 6 nights on our yearly DW trip and we were blown away. We stayed on the concierge level and from the moment we checked in the staff could not do enough for us.

The food was excellent, the room was beautiful with amazing savannah views, the housekeeping was impeccable.

This year we will be trying the Polynesian concierge level but we would return here in a heartbeat.

Yes, it is expensive but if you want a bargain then perhaps a hotel in Kissimmee would be a better choice. After all, this is Disney. Excpet to pay a few bucks for the experience!

9  Thank joparadise
Reviewed January 2, 2005

We just returned from a 3 night / 4 day stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We had never stayed there prior so we had no idea what to expect. We loved it! We had a pool / water view room that ALSO had a partial savannah view. We could see the animals roaming right from our "pool view" room. We felt as though we got our moneys worth. We could actually watch the fireworks from Epcot right from our balcony. Our room number was 4032 and we were right above the slide and the hot tub. I tried to enjoy the food at Jiko but I just couldn't get into it. My fiance loved it though! The breakfast buffet was wonderful and the wait staff is excellent. We will be back!

9  Thank Roni_H
Potomac, MD
Reviewed January 1, 2005

This hotel was very overpriced for the lousy service that was provided to my family during our holiday stay! I would not stay at this hotel again. The room was not the room that was reserved, we had to switch rooms after getting unpacked. Maid service was very sluggish to clean our room. Our request were NOT honored on the first note. I felt that I was supervising the staff opposed to vacationing. Our last 2 days (only) were enjoyable.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member