Our family of 3 stayed here from January 2 to January 5 after booking a Savannah view room at $160.00 per night. My son who is 10 enjoyed seeing the animals from the room. Upon our arrival around 11:30 a.m., the rooms at the inner circle were not ready until after 3:00 p.m. and we got a room where most of the time we were only able to see the zebras very sporadically (about three times during our stay) and very far away. We only saw a giraffe once. The only animals we could see every day during our stay were the pink white pelicans! If our room rate had not been obtained during a special reduced rate period, I would not recommend a savannah view room. You can see the animals with the night vision binoculars from the first floor animal area asking one of the attendants much better than we could from our room. My son enjoyed watching them at night with the binoculars. I objected about the 4th floor after reading from several sources that rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor are preferable because the tree tops interrupt your view of the animals. The lady that assigned our room indicated that in the area we were getting there were not as many trees. Not true and very misleading. I would not pay more than $160.00 for a savannah view unless you are actually assigned to the inner circle.
I found the buffet breakfast reasonably priced and very good. You get croissants (chocolate and plain) other pastries, plenty of fresh fruit, cereals, scrambled eggs, bacon etc and also you can have an omelet made to your preference (ham, cheese, bacon, mushrooms, or veggies). There are some african entrees that I did not taste, but they looked appetizing. This breakfast is much better than the breakfast menu at the Wilderness Lodge (where we stayed for 4 nights) which we found much more expensive and not as good, even greasier. Also the Wilderness Lodge has a much smaller breakfast area than the AKL. At the Wilderness Lodge you have to wait sometimes a 1/2 hour or more to be seated. At the Wilderness Lodge the ambience is much lauder because the waiters make believe they are hillbilies and even though they make you laugh it gets very loud. The servers are better at the AKL than at the Wilderness Lodge where they are not as prompt.
In terms of the rooms, the two Resorts are exactly the same in square feet and layout. The only difference is the decor. My only complaint about this resort (AKL) was the bus service. That prevented me from giving this resort a rating of "Excellent". I agree with another writer that you must plan for an hour to get to the parks and to a restaurant. In fact, we had priority seating planned for 6:30 for most nights and we found that we were better off if we had the seating for 8:00 or 8:30, otherwise we had to leave the parks too early. While we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge we enjoyed the proximity to the parks but hated the breakfast.
If I had to choose between the two resorts (AKL or Wilderness Lodge) I would stay at the AKL because of breakfast and the animals.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Step into the heart of Africa at this magnificent Resort hotel. Inspired by the traditional African kraal, the horseshoe-curved design provides spectacular views of 4 lush savannas that over 200 hoofed animals and birds call home. Delight in dazzling pool areas, exciting animal programs and one of the largest collections of African art in the United States as you experience your own African safari adventure with a touch of Disney magic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, HotelPower, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Animal Kingdom Florida
- Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Disney Animal Kingdom Resort
- Disney Animal Kingdom Hotel
- Animal Kingdom Lodge Disney
- Animal Kingdom Lodge Orlando
- Animal Kingdom Hotel Disney
- Disneys Animal Kingdom Hotel
- Animal Kingdom Hotel Florida