“My kids LOVED waking up to the animals outside our windows” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Ranked #39 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Kansas City, Missouri
“My kids LOVED waking up to the animals outside our windows”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

I have two boys 4 and 7, they loved this place. My youngest loved hunting down all the animals on each different savannah. We had our room right next to where the giraffes were fed, so it was great to see them every evening. We also had several ostriches very close. We got some great pictures. The pool was pretty small and the the distance to the parks was far... Especially with two tired boys. But the seeing the animals seemed to be worth it.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
1 Thank Christina1223

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,750)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Gatineau, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

This review is for the Jambo House of the Animal Kingdom resort. Our experience there was VERY disappointing to say the least.

Before I go on, I need to say that we were upgraded after some events on our first day at the parks, so while this review is giving the resort an Poor grade, I need to clarify that we did not pay the extra fee for it. At least I'm honest and feel bad for people that pay the regular fee.

Ok, anyone travelling to the Animal Kingdom resorts need to know that while it is fun to see the wild life from your room, some rooms will have a beautiful view of a roof top, so make sure to confirm you have a clear vision of the outside field when booking, else they'll ship you where you can't see the animals.

The upgrade situation: We were staying at the POP Century resort. On our arrival, our room looked like someone was already in it since the sheets were not done, towels were on the floor and the garbage was full. So we needed to get out and wait for another room, about 45 mins total after a long flight in. But I didn't mind it at first, errors do happen, not the end of the world for that.

The next day we were at Magic Kingdom, and one of their employee slapped my phone out of my hands, flat first on the pavement. While we can view this as an accident, it was still something that could've been avoided easily if he had listened to me and not jumped around just for fun. So they made me walk all the way back to the front entrance of the Magic Kingdom while I was at the other end since it was not convenient for their supervisor to come to us, wait 40 minutes in line, then need to explain the situation that wasn't reported properly by their staff, then putting in a "claims" form which I did not receive a copy, making lose approximately 2 hours on our first day at the park.

Once back at the hotel, I talked to the very nice hotel Manager (at the POP) abou tthe situation and wanted a copy of the report, which he provided a claims number saying they should've provided this at the time I made the claim. So, he asked me if I would like an upgrade at the Animal Kingdom for the troubles, to which I accepted. He confirmed it and said they would provide us with an amazing view of the animals on a top floor to help out with our not so great start at the parks and hotel.

Once at the Jambo house, we got a view of a roof top. Not what was offered, so I went back to ask if we could get another view to which the host clearly was annoyed and replied "well.. it is a free stay and now a switch.." ok, thanks for the Disney Service Experience, but your Manager suggested the upgrade NOT ME! So please don't give us the attitude.

So she switched us after I said "Excuse me?" to her comment and we got the view of the animals (Mostly giraffes), but not the top floor (which is not an issue). But I did get the attitude from their desk officer and that's a very important issue about making me feel very uncomfortable in front of the other guests. So there goes my enjoyment of the place. Now I feel bad in front of other hotel guests.

I'm guessing it's not just an isolated case since another family's dad was talking to his wife about how rude the attendant was to him, mentioning he would never have taken the Disney Vacation Club at this place knowing "it's not fun for the kid's here"!

Rooms were about the same as any other Value or Moderate resorts, nothing to brag about. So if you just care about rooms and not the wild life, book into a Value resort as it's not something special to pay the way extra bucks for. If you want the experience, book a moderate resort to get something a bit more fun than just looking at giraffes and other animals walking around.

After our stay, I would not pay an extra 200$ a day for the difference between them and a value or moderate resort.

Now for the actual experience. At first you are fascinated by the view of the animals, but after a day... not so much. Ok, it's the giraffes again. That was the feeling for the rest of our stay. Needless to say we took over 40 pics on the first day. Second day we looked at them, by the third day I was getting annoyed that we couldn't go outside and play with the kids because of the giraffes.

When you stay there, you need to know that if you are not in the same wing as the restaurants and the pool area, you'll be walking a lot within and around the hotel lobby, since you can't cut across because of the wild life outside.

So every time we wanted to go to the pool or to get some food, it was another 15 minutes walk to and from that area. Other hotels, you can walk a lot also, but at least you can walk outside, in the sun where the kids can run around and have some fun. Not so much in the Animal Kingdom's hall ways.

There was some renovations going on around the pool area, which was fine except for some of the workers looking at my wife's and other female guests behinds. You kinda expect that from construction guys, but at a Disney resort? Very inappropriate of them to be starring as much as they did. Not so much class act. Even to the point where two ladies got their things and went back to their rooms telling their husbands how they "didn't feel good here" and they'll come back at night. That mustn't been fun for them. Mine, she just went totally on the other side of the pool behind some trees and stayed there.

Food was ok, but a bit overpriced was my feeling for the Boma buffet.

Guest service was much under the standards of the other hotels we have gone to over the past few years (All Star Music; Saratoga Springs; Art of Animation; and POP Century).

Transportation was awful for a Deluxe Villa. At one point we waited twice the time than any other parks transportation from the one and only resort bus station to go to Magic Kingdom. Literally 2 buses came and went for Hollywood Studios, Downtown Disney, and Epcot before 1 bus came around to pick us up.

They may have felt like they upgraded us to an incredible hotel, but personally knowing what I know now I would've stayed at the POP Century, or if they really wanted to upgrade us, I would've asked for either the Port Orleans, Saratoga or Art of Animation resorts. Not this place.

Sorry Disney, but after more than 5 consecutive years at your resorts, this is the first time I'm actually looking elsewhere for our 2 weeks vacation coming this Feb-March 2015. I'll book with you guys only if I can't find something else. Last year, while you upgraded our stay, I feel like I didn't get the Disney Experience I previously had at other hotels.

Also, about my cell phone, a few days upon our return home I called in to confirm my phone was broken after a tech looked at it (not taking pictures anymore, some existing pics being "broken" so we can't see them, antenna not working properly, ect ect..) and he confirmed it needed to be replaced so I spent over 700$ for a new one since you guys don't call back and never returned my calls.

I just don't fell like I'm going to enjoy myself if I go back to you guys. Maybe I'm influenced by the service I got when I arrived at your Jambo house since I did enjoy my previous stays at the other resorts, but in the end that last experience is what stayed with me... I'll review the other hotels as being good, but know that last year, you may have lost a regular customer and a potential Disney Vacation Club client.

Room Tip: Go to another Disney resort.... Else request a room on the same side of the restaurant and pool area...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank SC_0000
Hull Uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

We stayed here from the 1st august for 2weeks the hotel was great staff very helpful ,great swimming pool ,we had a savanna room which was lovely It was bigger than I though it would be from some of the comments I have read,the balcony was very small but was still good to watch the giraffe from in the morning .
The only thing we found was the lobby was very dark they do tell you this but it is darker than I thought it would be

1 Thank louHullUk
D.C. area
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

Overall, this is a lovely hotel. We stayed at Jambo House. There is also another site, Kidani Village, which we did not visit. However, let it be known that when taking Disney transporation to any of the parks, the Disney bus always goes to Kidani Village first. So when getting a bus, there is a chance it will already be full when it gets to Jambo house, and when coming home at the end of the day, you are packed like anchovies in a tin, having to stand up or wait 20 minutes for the next bus, and you and your kids are exhausted, and it takes 20 minutes to get from Magic Kingdom to the hotel, although you have to stop at Kidani Village first. It was not my worst transportation experience at Disney...this was our first time staying on Disney property because we wanted the bus system, but we were very disappointed. It seems if AKL is so big with so many guests, and far away from the main parks, that there would be more buses allocated to that route.

On the positive side, when we checked in, we were booked for a room overlooking the parking lot or something because we couldn't afford a room with a nice view. The room was two queen beds, and my husband remarked at the check-in to my sons "well, you won't have bunkbeds guys". We weren't counting on bunks, the kids had just mentioned they would like that. Next thing we knew, the "cast member" was giving us a room that had just been turned away by a guest bc they did not want bunkbeds, and this room was overlooking the savannah! So it was a nice upgrade. I would not pay the money to see the savannah view bc if you spend most of the time at the parks like us, you are not around to enjoy the animals. If you are a huge animal fan, it may be worth it as the animals they do have were present throughout the week. That room, by the way, was a quarter mile walk from when entering the hotel to getting to the door of the room. After a long day at the parks, we kind of dreaded it.

We ate at Jiko, the upscale restaurant in the Jambo House. I loved my meal. Ginger carrot soup with black garlic ice cream? Wow, it was delicious. Scallops, great! My husband, however, ordered their most popular dish, the filet mignon, and to our shock it came to the table rare. He had requested medium rare, but the inside of that steak was cool to the touch. I would never expect this from a highly rated restaurant that serves a $50 filet that they say is their most popular dish. He also ordered the chocolate "cake" dessert and he was so underwhelmed. It was a tiny portion of what looked like pudding, not at all as was described on the menu.

The Mara is the easy restaurant to just get in and get out each day, and it was great. The falafel became my staple dish for the week, and the boys loved the flatbread pizzas.

Overall, would not stay there again because our family values being able to get to the parks more quickly and efficiently, and we felt like we were staying on the outskirts of civilization, which was not our taste. It is a lovely themed hotel, staff were wonderful, animals were cute. Transportation was not acceptable.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
      Location
3 Thank AmyLudVer
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

My wife and I and our 3 yr old grandson visited the Animal Kingdom Lodge the first part of August and had a wonderful experience. Our grandson went to the Animal Kingdom park earlier that day with our daughter and was absolutely thrilled when had discovered animals right outside our balcony. We stayed in the Savanna room for two nights and had animals all around us. A truly fantastic experience and worth the money when we watched his face light-up with joy. There is plenty to do on the property so you really do not have to go any place other than this although being in this area you are close to everything. This is worth the a visit, especially with the kids.

2 Thank Shane S
Highland Mills
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

The kidani village at the animal kingdom is truly magical. A welcome home to a DVC member! Staff is friendly. Pool is great. The children really enjoy seeing the animals especially the tortoise!!! Great time for the whole family. Bus transportation is reliable and never a long wait.

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank JPM1003
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

This is a review of Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge in Orlando. We have been to Disneyworld several times in the past and have stayed at the Polynesian. With that in mind, my frame of reference is to compare our experience at the Animal Kingdom Lodge with the Poly. The Animal Kingdom Lodge is one of the newer properties--certainly compared to the Poly which was one of the first (maybe the first?) resort at Disneyworld.

Let me say at the outset that the Animal Kingdom Lodge is one of the most beautifully realized "theme" hotels I have ever seen. The design and décor of the property is beautiful with a multistory atrium lobby, authentic African artifacts throughout the hotel's interior and a beautiful park like setting complete with many species of animals from giraffes, antelopes, zebras, etc. they really did an amazing job. In my opinion, it is the best realized hotel, and the most visually interesting, at Disneyworld. For what it's worth, the Wilderness Lodge is pretty cool, too, but we prefer the AKL. If you are staying elsewhere, I would recommend having dinner at the AKL just to get the feel of it.

We paid for the upgrade to get the Savannah view. To be honest, I would have preferred to pay a little less for a pool view. I think it only makes sense if you are directly facing the Savanna and have the premium view (Arusha), we did not and what we ended up with was a "side Savannah" view that was okay but not worth the upgrade.

The two specialty restaurants are both excellent. One is a buffet style called Boma. Definitely not a typical buffet but delicious flavorful dishes from all parts of Africa and even the Middle East. We've eaten all over Disneywold at the most expensive restaurants and Boma is certainly one of our favorites. The other restaurant is a sit down fine dining experience called Jiko which is also superb but we prefer Boma. Reservations at both are a must and I would certainly book tables as soon as you are committed to going as the best times fill up months in advance during peak periods (especially when kids are out of school).

The hotel was a lot of fun to boot. They offer nature walks (we didn't get up early enough or if we did we went straight to the parks). There are African drummers walking through the hotel at times for a little added flavor. And our kids' favorites: roasting marshmallows at a fire pit at the edge of the savanna.

The pool area is large and nice but fairly non-descript. They don't really have anything at the pool as interesting as the volcano at the Poly. On the other hand, since we bought tickets to the waterparks (which are really cool), we skipped the pool at the AKL and opted to go to Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach in the late afternoons instead of the AKL pool. If you go in the summer months, not that they have a lot of thunder storms at this time of year and the water parks close if there is a threat of lightning. This happened to us on two consecutive days.

One big consideration about the AKL: It's in a fairly remote location in Disneyworld. Although the bus system is pretty efficient, there were time when we really had to wait in the heat or with exhausted children for what seemed like a long time (maybe 20 to 30 minutes at the most). Once you are on the bus, it is a fairly long ride to the Magic Kingdom, Epcot or Disney Hollywood Studios in relation to the location of most of the other resorts. it's a relative short ride to the Animal Kingdom which is terrific if you haven't been. It's a combination zoo and amusement park with some of the best rides in the whole of Disneyworld.

All in all, we loved the Animal Kingdom Lodge and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again when we return to Disneyworld. It feels like you are truly away from the traffic and throngs of people and have the experience of being in an oasis away from all of the noise, traffic and congestion that you might experience elsewhere. We were glad to have stayed in at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: A pool room is a better value than a savanna room in my opinion. Not sure I would upgrade for the v...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family