“Great Disney Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great Disney Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Have stayed at many Disney properties this is by far one of our best experiences. We asked for a Savannah view, first room was not overly acceptable with a view overlooking ongoing hotel construction. When we asked for a new room we were given another room with zero issue with magnificent view. We had several giraffe, water buffalo and several other species outside our porch.

Room is standard disney fair with two double beds.

Hotel amenities were decent with several areas to eat. Jiko the high scale restaurant was FANTASTIC. Without a doubt one of the best meals in or out of Disney. Our service was excellent. My wife has tomato allergy, we were met before ordering by the chef and again after we ordered to ensure all was in order and what could be shared and what could not. The chocolate cream de pot for dessert was out of this world we went back next night just for dessert at the bar.

The breakfast buffet in the morning was good with some unique African plates that you might not get in other buffets.

There is a bar in the hotel drinks were reasonable priced but not great most of the specials were overly sweet and the habanero margarita had zero heat to it. The vodka and tonic was terrible think it was the tonic as I had one in jiko and it was just as bad.

I will definitely stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge again and definitely recommend for all guests. Get a savannah view an absolute must what a way to wake up in the morning.

Room Tip: Get a savannah view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Smontag212

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,750)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
peabody, ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

First, I am a dvc member so I am already a Disney fan. However, I had no desire to stay here but I was overruled by husband and the kids. I am so glad I was. We loved it here. We go to Disney at least once a year and have stayed in a lot of the resorts. This has been our favorite....with that said, we had our car. If we did not and were taking the buses to all the parks I can see frustration. This was not a trip about the parks but we ventured out to universal and other places. Therefore, we enjoyed the resort soooo much. We were also there on Easter Sunday and they had Mickey and Goofy there for the kids and a big candy dash. Our one issue with housekeeping was having to call twice for clean sheets. Other than that out stay was perfect and I can't wait to stay there again!!!!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank judy c
Del Valle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

I am a travel nanny and went to this resort with a family with 3 children, 5.5, 3.5 and 9 months. Out side of the bedroom window you can see the animals walking around. There are also verandas you can sit on outside to view the animals. The older children were excited each morning to see what animals would be therr!

It is a large pool area with swimmer vests for the little ones. Also a kiddie pool for babies. A decent play ground is available to get energy out. I saw two hot tubs for adults.

My room was an average 2 queen bed unit with small balcony. The beds were comfortable and light switch by bed so you could read and turn light off later without getting out of bed. Decent size bath and vanity with double sinks out side. The only improvement I would like is a brighter bulb in bath area.

Enough closet space and chests for clothes. Walking space is average. Very clean.

We did meal plan so there were no "extra" expenses for food. Lobby area had tv for kids, drumming activities and lots of places to sit and relax.

Trails outside to walk and view animals.

My client had the 4 bedroom apartment which is huge! Since I didn't pay I cannot say if the price fit the space. 1 king master suite and the other 3 had 2 queen beds. All units have portable cribs.

You can include Fast Passes to get in the Disney Parks without waiting in lines.

The service was excellent throughout the resort.

Probably an expensive vacation but you expect that in Disney World.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Early Mornings are the best for viewing the many animals off our balcony in our upgraded view at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Our room was on the third floor Zebra Trail. We were able to see the majestic giraffe every morning.
This resort is beautiful in every area. I also loved just sitting in the lobby because the ambiance and artwork is so relaxing. Not only is it great to look at, but the smells from Jiko and Boma make your mouth water!!
I found transportation to be a little slower than other resorts. One morning we waited so long for a bus to Disney Studios we missed opening.
The offerings at the quick service restaurant are a combination of typical quick service and African inspired meals. You can even get the famous Zebra Domes if they are not sold out.
Don't hesitate to stay here. You will relax and not be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank epcotitis
Jackson, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

I was staying with friends in a DVC room for this trip. We were located in Jambo House. We had a pool view, but there were plenty of places throughout the resort to view the animals.

The resort itself is beautifully designed and well-kept.

The resort is fairly isolated, and therefore bus rides take a bit of time. On at least 3 occasions during a one-week stay, I waited for 30 minutes for a bus from Animal Kingdom. I feel they need to add more buses to the route.

The front desk staff seem to need some training. We did not receive "magical" service as we are accustomed to when being in Disney. We had three issues. #1, when we checked in the first person assisting us could not link our Magic Bands to separate credit cards because the computer system went down. She told us to come back later. When we tried a second time with a different person later that evening, she had a problem with two of the party's bands and kept them for awhile to troubleshoot. She delivered them to our room and indicated that she was able to put the correct credit cards on the correct bands. What we wanted was for each of the 3 adults to have their own personal cards linked to the bands for purchases, and for the child to have a charging privilege linked to her mom's card (they told us this was possible but mom would have to input a pin number each time the child used the band). As it turns out, the child was unable to scan her band for any purchases, and my credit card was not linked at all. This resulted in my spending hundreds of dollars on my companions credit card, which had to be sorted out via phone after we got home. Issue #3, my friend had specifically called the resort 3 times to confirm that she could have an Easter package sent to the resort and that it would arrive on time for Easter morning. Unfortunately, even after asking specifically if there is any lag time between the postal service leaving the package and the front desk getting it to the guest (and being assured "no, no lag time"), the package was unable to be delivered. It was delivered from the postal service and then taken to a central processing facility in Orlando where it needed to be screened. The lodge did make it right by providing an alternative Easter basket for the child, but the issue should never have occurred. In general, it just seems that the staff does not have access to accurate information.

We ate at one of the resort restaurants, Boma, and had a lovely breakfast buffet there.

I think that having a savannah view room would make staying here worth it; without it, I would probably stay elsewhere on my next trip.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the Savannah view- that's where I think the real value of this resort comes in...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Queensbury, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

The animal kingdom lodge is an absolute beautiful resort. Made up if two villages( jambo and kidani). The jambo house is where we stayed and it was incredibly beautiful with all the ammenities. They offer a 2 minute van ride to the other village. The pools at both were wonderful. The kidani had a great kids area. the restaurants at this resort were delicious. The Boma restaaurant is a buffet. I do not normally like buffets but this had so many amazing flavors and food combinations that made it a unique and flavorful dinner.
This hotel has so many activities and special amenities like safari guide throughout to talk about the animals. We stayed in a savannah room on the fifth floor. Unfortunately, we did not realize the savannah view rooms were specific to a few different areas. For example, the giraffes were not in our savannah(sad) but we had the domestic livestock. We should nave gotten the arushka view room for giraffes. We flew here and just stayed at the resort for seven days. We left to go to downtown once but did not do parks. There was so much to see at this resort that we were happy we did not have any other plans. This resort is good for couples and well as families. Three great restaurants to choose and a great kids club just is case you want to dine without the kids. We would stay here again for sure. If you are going to Disney and really planning on utilizing the parks daily.... I might tell you not to book this hotel. For the cost you really need to enjoy this hotel and what it has to offer. If you were looking for relaxation then for sure this is it. We stayed in a studio room with two kids. We found it comfortable. We enjoyed spending the time with kids and space was not needed. There was not much storage space for clothes:(
The have a great food service menu as well. I read people's reviews with some complaints about the darkness. The darkness adds a cozy and comfortable element. I would say this is a plus not a minus. I would strongly say book this hotel. You would not be disappointed.
The only con to this was that it is very far from all parks except animal kingdom:)

Fantastic! The staff was warm, friendly, and inviting. If you are flexible look on ebay.. I have seen some great vacation club rentals at great prices( they have specific dates) but significantly below booking through expedia or Disney for this lodge and some other luxury disney resorts.

Room Tip: Savannah rooms were fantastic. But truthfully, every where you look is stunning there. The Jambo H...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Michelle B
Avon, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

We just stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge at Walt Disney World. We loved the Jambo house and also upgraded to the club level which offers breakfast, afternoon snacks and late night snacks. It was well worth the cost of upgrading. The resort was awesome. We had a room that looked out over an area with several animals roaming around. There were deer, giraffes, birds, ostriches, and others that I don't know the names. It was so neat to sit on the balcony and watch them. This resort has many activities for children such as story time around the fire, marshmallow roasts, etc. The restaurants were fantastic. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family