“Always again”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Ranked #33 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Excellent for families, always again. Unbelievable view and fun, for all ages
Service is excellent. Once I left my light on in the car overnight, I was informed pro-actively in the morning and the service team was available within minutes.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (7,209)

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Animal kingdom lodge is a nice hotel ...... But

There is no Disney magic at all we had a room over looking the animals den but unless your going to sit in the balcony all day it's a bit of a waste

The housekeepers don't make any special effort no animals made from the towels or chocolates on the pillows in fact no turn down service at all

Food was great but we only had breakfast in the lodge as we were at parks most of the day night

I think for the money they should go the extra mile and I don't think they do

The new magic bands are a great addition as it saves carrying tickets and cash around all day

We had a great holiday and that's what it's all about but if I was you I'd book a better hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Rob51559
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I stayed at AKL with my wife and two daughters (4 and 8), in a savannah room. Overall, this resort is very nice. Service was top notch from everyone we interacted with. I wasn't overly impressed with the room. It was a little on the small side, especially the bathroom. Our room was on the Kudu trail, facing the Sunset Savannah. We had a second floor room, which is actually the first floor of rooms. We didn't see as many animals from our balcony as you could see by visiting the observation points on the Arusha Savannah. We did see giraffes pretty much every day though. We had other family members traveling with us. We booked together and our travel agent requested our rooms be close together. They other rooms were booked as Standard. They ended up getting a partial Savannah view, which I'd say was 90% of what we got paying a lot more for a Savannah view.

We spent most of our time at the parks, so we only ended up eating once at AKL. We ate at Jiko, which was a very good meal with excellent service. We did have drinks at Victoria Falls one evening. The selection of beers, wines and spirits was excellent and the service was excellent there as well. Buying drinks at the pool was was very expensive. Expect to pay about $10 each.

The pool is pretty large and the water temperature is great. Loungers right around the pool are sparse, so it can be difficult to get one close unless you grab one early in the day. There are plenty of loungers that are separated from the pool by some greenery.

Travel to the parks wasn't too bad. The buses are frequent and the longest ride is about 20-30 minutes. We ended up coming back to AKL each afternoon so the kids could have some downtime, then back to the parks for supper, so the travel time did add up.

The biggest draw of this resort is the animals. If you have kids who love animals, this place will be great for your family. I overestimated the interest my kids would have. After the first day, they didn't seem overly interested in looking at the animals, which made me feel like I wasted the money on a Savannah room. Next time we go to Disney World, I will pick a resort that is closer to all the parks, especially MK.

While AKL isn't the ideal Disney resort for my family, that doesn't mean it isn't a great resort. The only negative thing I can say about the resort is the room size but my understanding is that is the norm for Disney resorts. From a value perspective, I recommend you carefully consider whether the experience with the animals is worth the cost of this resort and also worth the extra cost of a Savannah room.

Room Tip: Carefully consider whether a savannah room is worth the extra cost. There are plenty of places to vi...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank JJM73
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We were celebrating a 47th Anniversary and my husband's birthday and were so happy to vacation at Animal Kingdom Lodge in Walt Disney World. The hotel is breathtaking from the minute you walk into the lobby with its African theme that is carried throughout the hotel, room, restaurants, and leisure areas. We enjoyed every minute we were there and were pleased with the quality of service we received. Our room was pool view to save a $ or two but the view of the pool was fantastic and we had a savanna view just a few steps from our door with a bench for enjoying the animals or for picture taking. Don't fret if the Savanna rooms are all booked up, you can see animals from almost everywhere in the hotel, especially at feeding times. The room was spacious and very comfortable. Beds were comfy and sheets of high quality as well as thick the fluffy bath towels. We had a generous closet, private dressing area, alcove for luggage storage, table and chairs, patio with chairs and small table for having morning coffee and coffee pot and coffee and tea fixings refreshed each day right in the room and a small fridge as well. What more could you want? Towels and soap were refreshed daily and the room was spotless all week. The African themed buffet. adjacent to the lobby, sent wonderful smells of spices all over the hotel lobby at night so you can't resist it and you have to eat there. The quick service restaurant in the hotel was the best we visited in all of WDW during our stay. Breakfast was especially yummy. The pool and hot tub were clean and inviting. Those areas are cleaned each morning and refreshed several times a day. Pool towels were provided also. Bus service to the parks was a reasonable walk from the hotel lobby and we only had an extensive wait of 30 minutes once in a week. The other times, the wait was 10 minutes or less. All parks were within a 30 minute ride, with most being 15 or less. We parked our car and never moved it all week. Car and luggage valet service is available and very efficient. Check in was a breeze and the new Magic Bands are wonderful, no more lost key cards and everything is done with the Magic Band from park tickets to food to any purchases you may make. There is a gift shop with snacks in the lobby of the hotel in case you have forgotten anything. Elevators are plentiful and provide little or no wait. There is a wonderful fire pit in the lobby and animal viewing stations on the ground floor that get you up close and personal to the animals. I run out of adjectives thinking of all the pluses this hotel has. It is pricey even in low season when we were there but worth every penny and this was a special once in a lifetime occasion for us. We have been coming to Disney since it opened in 1971 and have stayed in all the deluxe hotels except this one and we loved it.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues or small children, request a room near elevators. The hotel is large an...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KY_Road_Trippers
Reviewed March 19, 2014

My kids loved it here. They loved watching the animals! They never watched t.v.,they just would sit on the balcony and watch the animals. The Sunset Safari was amazing! Was the best experience of the trip! The only negative part was the bus service. It was far from the parks. One night the bus never came to Magic kingdom, we waited for an hour.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank elyseh
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed an overnight stay in the Jambo House...wow, the view was amazing and the staff was even more amazing. Loved the buffet for breakfast and dinner...we stayed overnight for my birthday...thank you Jambo House for making my 53rd birthday special! Looking forward to coming back soon. Loved the foods too...exciting to experience African flavors...can't wait to eat there again.

M.O.

Room Tip: My advice...stay in the 2500 block of rooms...best view there.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marian M
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Biggest inconvenience is having to walk a mile just to get to ur room. Now I am finding out that my twins balloons must stay at Customer Service desk. I guess I get visitation with my $12 per ballon?!!!! Just spent a day at the park to find out u can only get 3 FP, now my kids can't have their balloon. WDW is going down hill FAST!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014