“Great hotel. Worth the money. Loved it.”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Ranked #37 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
Long Grove, IL
“Great hotel. Worth the money. Loved it.”
Reviewed March 23, 2004

I have been to Disneyworld at least 10 times. I have always stayed in Disney. This is a great place to stay. Nice rooms. Good food. Pool open 24 hours a day. (July 2003) Eat breakfast and lunch here. Cheap. Good pizza, it is huge. Remember to buy a cup in the beginning of your stay.
It is a plastic cup with a top. It is a Animal Kingdom Cup. (Each resort has one.) I can't remember the exact price, I think around $7.00. It is worth it. You get unlimited refills on coffee, tea, and soft drinks. (For your entire stay.) Go down and get a cup of coffee in the morning and bring it up to your room. You get to keep cup, nice gift to yourself. Remember, even in Disney if you don't like your room asked to be changed. If you want a different location ask for it. Don't stay in a room that you do not like. They are great about changing rooms. I like to see different rooms before I even bring my luggage there. By the way, I always keep my luggage with me. Remember, you are at Disney to have fun and relax. Take your time. You do not have to get up first thing in the morning to run around the parks. Eat, relax enjoy the morning. Look at the animals. Swim. Then go to the parks. It slows down later in the morning. Remember, when you take the bus, relax enjoy. It might take you twenty minutes to get to the parks, but remember it's free. You will be walking alot, so enjoy. This hotel is really great. You get your moneys worth. The lobby is breathtaking.
Great gift shop. (Tip: If you buy something in the park it can be sent to your hotel room for free. Just ask. It is nice to have a gift waiting for you back at your hotel.) Remember, this is also a great place to stay because it does have a lobby. Some of the cheaper Disney Hotels do not. With younger kids and adults it is a good place to sit around or meet up with friends and family. It is huge. Oh, and the animals are fun to see. They also have a campfire going at night.
Balconys off each room. Also, big balconys throughout the hotel where you can sit. They have these big rocking chairs on them. This is really a great place to stay. I can't wait to go back.

10 Thank Cristine14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,830)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 18, 2004

STAYED HERE FOR 5 DAYS WITH MY 3 CHILDREN.Beautiful hotel and service was very nice. Used our rental vehichle as it was much easier than the disney transport. Lots of kids and ambiance is lovely. Room was great and not too small at all despite putting a crib in it. We had a leak in our room and were accomodated and compensated for it immediately.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 7, 2004

I considered all the properties in and out of disney and choose this place, and wasn't dissapointed. The pool is fabulous, the lobby stunning and rooms excellent and immaculate each day. The zero entry pool is only at this lodge which ended up being a big deal. We visited the wilderness lodge and its pool was much less friendly for small kids. My opinion: for the bucks in the disney area ( I paid 200$/night) it was great. I wouldn't pay for the savannah view as mentioned in other reviews, the pool view overlooks palm trees, ect vs a few animals and an empty field. I also paid for a fridge (which probably be part of a room to start with) and it helped to take the edge off constantly -having to buy snacks, milk ect. ( the publix grocery is 5 min away) My take on disney with small kids (it was my first trip and we are planning on a return visit) is just when you want to start disliking disney (crowds, dreading paying resort prices for a lunch) you run into the magic that makes you want to come back- a princess visit, the wonderful live performances, the great food, the fast pass system, efficient buses, the wonderful decor at the parks or at the hotels. Go at it with gusto, planning and knowing what you and your kids want and it's a trip of a lifetime for the little ones and the parents. Read into the ones that complain- hey buddy you went to disney during the christmas season- what did you expect? (psst... hey disney don't charge for the fitness center- you almost cost yourself a 5 circle rating)

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 3, 2004

My family of five had the oppurtunity to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge twice in 2003. What a lobby, first of all!! It's spectacular!!! The rooms are pretty large and fit us fine. We never felt like we were tripping over each other. The outside vanity area, seperate from the bathroom, was great!! Two sinks made it easy for everyone to get ready in the morning. They have a large closet that fits a few suitcases and many clothing items. The armoire is quite large and holds a large tv and several drawers for clothing. The decation and theming in the rooms are phenomenal! We stayed in both a pool view room and savannah view, and both were great!!!! We loved seeing the animals every time we looked out the window. The balconies weren't very large but we loved sitting out there at night.The Mara is a fantastic quick service counter restaurant that offers both African and American foods. The price is ok but you get large portions. Definately try the zebra domes!! They have a refillable mug program with cute African themed mugs. They were well worth the money.One of our favorite things about the resort was the pool. We absolutely loved it! The pool is huge and we never felt crowded in. The slide is a ton of fun too!! My toddler loved the zero depth pool! He even loved the children's pool! The two hot tubs are plenty big, even in crowded seasons.The arcade is a ton of fun as well. The hotel offers many different viewing areas to see the animals. Make sure you take the time to look around the resort to see all the animals and artifacts.Boma is a great buffet that we absolutely loved! Definately check this one out for lunch or dinner!!! You can smell the aromas of the food as soon as you walk into the lobby of the resort.There are many different activities to participate in throughout the resort. From cookie decorating to hotel tours to animal night watching..there is a ton to do! There are many animal guides throughout the resort waiting and willing to talk to guests. We enjoyed the storytelling at the firepit every night!We would happily stay here again! Well worth the money!!!!!

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
purcellville,virginia
Reviewed March 1, 2004

Having stayed at at the Carribbean Beach Hotel on our last trip, we decided to fork over the big bucks for a Deluxe Disney resort this trip -- the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We reserved a savannah view room. It took several tries and multiple front desk personnel to find a room with an acceptable view. The front desk staff was willing to accomodate us -- we just had to insist on what we wanted. Most of the time, however, the only animals that we saw from our balcony were some birds. The rooms are nicely decorated but our family of three found the bathroom area to be crowded. You almost fall over the toilet on the way to the shower. The rooms in general are small so plan on spending most of your time outside your room in the fabulous lobby. We hit some cold rainy weather. After several hours at Animal Kingdom Park, we were rained out and returned to the hotel in the mid-afternoon. We were wet and cold and wanted a warm spot in front of a fire and an irish coffee. Well, we got the spot in front of the fire but had to settle for nescafe coffee from Mara. The bars do not open until 5 pm. Forget about feeling pampered at this Deluxe hotel. The pool area is large but not very imaginative. We ate breakfast and dinner at Boma. Twice at this restaurant we were initially shown to very bad tables. We found that we had to be pretty assertive with the staff to get a decent table. Once seated, the food is served buffet style. The food is fabulous and a good value. My family of three ate breakfast here for $45 and dinner for $75. We bypassed the Mara which reminded us of eating at a 7-Eleven. I would have to say that on my next trip to Orlando I will NOT stay at a Disney property at all. (We actually found that the Portofino Hotel at Universal was a step above anything that Disney has to offer at a better price). I would, however, eat at BOMA again.

7 Thank mcdoodle
MD
Reviewed February 10, 2004

If you enjoy listening to toilets flush this is the place for you. No need to bring an alarm clock... every morning you will awake at about 6:00 am to the sound of toilets flushing all around you. And occasionally the sound of your neighbors urinating. Other than that, some rooms are VERY far from the lobby (which is the only way in).
After a long day in the parks, I wasn't up to a 1/2 mile (just guessing on the length) walk to my room- even if it was a "free" upgrade to a Savannah view. Speaking of the Savannah view, it consisted of a direct view of the rooms accross from us, dirt, and an emply corral.
Occasionally there were a few birds bathing in the swamp outside but that was about all. Definitely would not have been worth the money to upgrade to a Savannah view. We asked to change rooms- the front desk attendants were not helpful or accomodating. They were actually rude- I know, that's not the usual Disney way. One the positive side, the pool is quite nice and Boma's is excellant. Needless to say, I won't fork out the money to stay there again- which I expressed to the front desk- and receeved no response.

7 Thank bridgitta
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed February 8, 2004

Having worked in the Travel Industry and traveled extensively, I have had the chance to stay at many resorts. Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge was quite a disappointment. I had visited this hotel property a year ago while in the Orlando area and fell in love with the interior design displayed in the hotels decor. In early February I traveled with a group of 25 people(Freinds and Family) to this hotel. The check in process was quite a spectacle. Half of our group could check in a half hour early(2:30pm). While the other half was told that their rooms would not be ready for a couple of hours. That half had to remain in the lobby. Breakfast is a good hour wait, unless you make a reservation prior to your arrival. If you try making a reservation while staying at the resort, you will be asked to call an off-site reservation company for Disney dining, this hold time is about 30 minutes. The hotel concierge instructed a member in my party to go to a different hotel to use a computer with internet access. Later, we were told the Animal Kingdom lodge had only one computer on property with Internet access.
The wait for this computer was over an hour. Room Service closes very early and the hold time, was about 15 minutes. We attempted to order a pot of coffee one morning and were told:, "That could be up to 75 minutes, do you still want to order." So, If you are looking for hospitality Walt Disney Style and do not want to feel like you have wasted your money, you probably should choose to stay elsewhere. Walt Disney prides itself on being courteous, polite, helpful and available.
Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge did not fulfill one of these attributes.

5 Thank ChristinaFLA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort
Lake Buena Vista
Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort

Been to Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge? Share your experiences!