“Straight up!”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Ranked #39 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The beds are so very comfortable! The shower head one of the best! Pool locker room, fabulous! Staff very nice and accommodating. However, distance to the parks and waiting on the buses, straight-up was like being stuck on a plane, on the runway for hours, waiting to lift off because the runway is shut down due to lightening. Absolutely disliked it! Transportation took far too long. Buses come every 20 minutes, so they say. We waited up to 40 minutes; then driver has to make other stops. You wind up staying at the park all day, morning to night cause you don't want to relive the bus thing over and over. You pay big money for a beautiful room you are never in or can't get back to, to refresh in a timely manner. We were foolish enough to sign on for club level. First night, exciting. Second, third, fourth night, same ole' same ole. No bottled water so you can't even pack a few for park outings. Stay again -- never because of distance to the parks. Hotels on monorail best bets. Even Animal kingdom supposedly is 8 minutes away -- not. Take 8 minutes just to get to the bus stop, then wait on bus, then make other stops once on bus -- painful; especially on your return, when you are wicked tired or really wet from the rain. A plus, never, ever, ever had to wait on an elevator. They were speedy quick, truly amazingly fast!

Room Tip: 4407 close to elevator and had a nice view. The room opposite this one has an obstructed view. The...
1  Thank Montella

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Family of four with two teens stayed here in June. I was very impressed. After paying $450/night to stay (club level), I figured it would be disappointing, but it really was quite nice. The grounds were very clean and all staff (cast members) were very polite and professional, especially in the club level. We secured the club rate for not much more than a regular savannah view room so it was an easy decision for us. Continental breakfast, snacks, desserts, beer, wine, etc. throughout the day gave us a chance to snack frequently without added cost. The pool area was very nice and the restaurants were all very good.

Without a doubt, the best part of our stay was the Sunrise Safari. If you are staying in a club level room, you can do this on Thursdays or Sundays. Very neat experience. Ever seen a giraffe from 2 feet away? It is the Kilimanjaro Safari at Animal Kingdom, but it is private (before the park opens), 75 minutes long (as opposed to the normal 15 minutes), followed by a buffet breakfast in the park that was the most memorable meal I had the entire seven days (guava juice, banana cinnamon French toast, omelets, fruit, etc.). If I ever go again (NEVER again in summer - too hot and way too busy), I will make sure we do this.

If I helped you, please check that the review was helpful. If not, feel free to email with questions.

Room Tip: Savannah rooms are worth the cost. I thought before going that it is just a view of zoo animals, bu...
5  Thank Jason G
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was our 2nd stay at Jambo House and it will be out last stay there. We were traveling with 2 teenage girls and requested the bunk-beds, thinking this would be good for the girls. This was our first mistake. The rooms with bunks are extremely small for the price you pay. After arriving late and going straight to bed I didn't inspect the beds, the following morning I find a dirty pair of socks in my daughters bed....from the previous occupant. I normally don't complain, but I felt completely sick thinking my daughter slept in a dirty bed. I talked with the front desk and explained what I found. I did not want to talk with a manager since we were heading to the park for the day, but I requested someone call me or text me once the entire rooms linens were changed. (I left the dirty sock in the trash.) After being at the parks the entire day and not receiving a call from anyone at AKL, I expected to have a note waiting when we returned to the room extremely late that night. But to my surprise, there was no note, no voice-mail, only the dirty sock laying on the floor beside the bed. After the 2nd complaint at the front-desk, we did come back to our room to a small plate of fruit and cheese. I didn't request or want anything from the management, only the normal "Disney" customer service that we have experienced over the past 10 years of visiting the park. I don't know if with the economy they are cutting back on staff or just the house-keeping. I hope this is not new standard for Disney.........because we love the parks, the resort and the quality of service that has always been the standard. We will stay at other resorts in the future, but not Animal Kingdom Lodge.

3  Thank Lef0613
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We spent 5 nights in Jambo House with a Savannah view.
Pros:
The view:
The view was wonderful. We were on (I think) the third floor (whatever is the lowest floor that has savannah views). We had heard it was best to be higher - and maybe it does give you a better view of animals who might be obscured by the trees, but we still had a great view. Being lower means you are closer to them and it really adds to the experience. In the morning there were these little pigs of some kind that ran right by our room, it literally sounding like they were right under our balcony because they practically were. We saw plenty of animals - but I guess it depends on the time of day and the weather. We are early risers and started every morning on the balcony. The animals seemed more active and playful. Another good time to be there is when the truck drives through putting out the food. All the critters show up for dinner time :)

The room:
The bed was very comfortable. The decor was perfect for the lodge. We found lots of nice little extras and conveniences. It was very clean and with two exceptions there was no sign of wear.
The first exception - the air conditioner was malfunctioning when we first got there. On the first day we noticed it didn't seem to be cooling well. The second day we came back from the parks mid-afternoon and there was a Maintenance Cast Member in the room fixing it (seems the people next door had complained). After that it worked great.
The second exception - the mini-fridge is in a little cabinet. The fridge must have had a broken leg because it wobbled badly. By the end of the week it was really annoying because it caused stuff to fall out every time you opened the door.

The staff:
Every cast member we encountered was courteous and helpful. They all came across as really wanting the guests to have a great experience.

The amenities:
Loved the area where you can walk out on the savannah overlook. The cast members roaming that area give very interesting information and are great at answering questions.
The movie by the pool was a lot of fun. It's a nice relaxing way to end the day without leaving the resort.
The pool was beautiful and having a gentle ramp instead of steps to get into the pool was a nice touch.
The fire pit can be very quite and relaxing ... until a family with 3 small children shows up to eat their dinner there :)

Restaurants:
The pool bar area was great and we enjoyed the little tables... but we did have to deal with swatting a few flies every time we sat down.
The quick service restaurant was very good considering it was quick service. We found it to have a surprisingly nice selection considering the small space.
The buffet - in our opinion - was "ok", we are glad we did it, but once was enough. I think part of the problem was that it was loud and crowded. The food was good - it was nice to sample different things that we aren't normally exposed to.
The nicer restaurant - Jiko's was fabulous. Fabulous food, fabulous service, fabulous atmosphere. It is expensive, but we felt it was worth it.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. Even if you don't have a savannah view room, there are lo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tink711
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Pardon the Disney pun. Had a room overlooking the savanna. Saw an abundance of animals from the balcony every morning and every night. Only small qualm is that the flamingos smell bad and therefore part of the pool area also smells. But that's what wild animals do. Great hotel, would definitely stay here again. Bus system is great, takes longer to get to Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and EPCOT, but Animal Kingdom takes no time at all.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Maxwell G
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed on the 3rd Floor of the Jambo House. The lobby was great and everything was clean and looked very up kept. Checki-in was extremely fast. Our room was very clean and did not look worn down or outdated. The mousekeepers (House Keepers) do an amazing job every single day. The staff was always courteous. We got on the shuttles about 45 minutes before the parks opened so we were typically the first ones on the bus so seating was never a problem. We saw a lot of animals from our balcony. We ate a Sanaa and the food was delicious and the animals there were abundant. Ask for a window seat. We will definitely be going back again soon!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Shandel P
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Loved seeing the animals right outside our hotel room. Giraffes, zebras, antelope and the Red River Hogs greeted us when we arrived. They were awesome. The hotel was spectacular and every aspect of it worked. Staff was more than accommodating. Pool was terrific. Would definitely stay again. Only draw back - far away from the parks.

2  Thank Christine T