“Of course it's Amazing, It's Disney!”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Ranked #34 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom vila at the Animal Kingdom lodge. Typically reserved for DVA owners. The room was clean and neat. A full size kitchen allowed us to prepare some meals in the room. The pull out sofa and pull out chair were quite comfy. Not as comfortable as the King Sized bed in the bedroom though!! The room was decorated nicely in an African theme. This lodge is a little bit away from the parks so it is nice and quiet. The pools are amazing. My only disappointment was that there was no nice running path or trail,but then hey, we are on vacation!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hckhbellfoodie
Write a ReviewReviews (7,092)

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed here 4/13/13-4/18/13 with my 5 year old and 11 month old. It is great. The hotel is massive. We were upgraded to a savannah view so we had giraffes and zebras outside of our balcony daily- order room service for the kiddos and let them watch the animals-totally worth it.

There are non-stop activities all day for the kids (adults can partake too). My 5 year old had cultural experiences, a pool party, drumming lessons, cookie decorating, face painting, animal rubbings, night vision goggles, and roasted marshmallows-all complimentary. We didn't even have to leave the resort to go to the parks-she was entertained and begged to go back to the hotel when we did leave. She cried and sobbed when we left for the airport

Room Service-portions are HUGE. The children's pancake and sausage could've fed my husband and our kids.
Rooms-on the small side like all Disney hotels
Pools-fun
Restaurants-BOMA is yummy. It's a pricey buffet but was delish.

2  Thank CaribeBridefromCT
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed here at the end of our trip to Disney just for something different while we visited Animal Kingdom park at the end of our trip. We absolutely loved this hotel. The staff were all super nice and helpful. It is a beautiful hotel, from the lobby to the views over the savannah. We enjoyed seeing animals every time we looked out the window while walking around the hotel. We ate the breakfast buffet and it was wonderful (although I'm not sure why it starts at 7:30am when the park opens at 8am and you want to eat an early breakfast). We hope to visit again someday!

Room Tip: Savannah view!
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Were down there to watch college cheerleading national championships. Our son was with one of the major div 1 teams so he was with the team and we were just down to watch. Originally had booked to stay at All Star Sports but with the competition they were overbooked and offered to put us in Animal Kingdom Lodge. Great upgrade, nice property, nice room, no complaints on the lodge at all, at least not at the price we paid. Where the problem came in was getting transportation to the Wide World of Sports facility. Buses only go there from the All Star resorts and buses do not go hotel to hotel so even though the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Wide World of Sports complex were only about 2 miles apart, we would have to take a bus to a park, then to All Star and the to Wide World. This 2 mile trip took us 2 hours on several occassions!

As for the lodge itself it was nice, big, roomy etc but when I found out what the regular per night cost was I was shocked. It was not that nice! Now I guess I am the type that when I am at a place like Disney World all I require of a room is for it to be clean and comfortable because all I do is sleep and bath there, otherwise we are in a park. So for my money I will stay at an All Star resort for less than 1/2 the price. To have a tiny balcony to watch a few animals is not worth $1000 more a week, just my opinion.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Speedracer61
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My family of five loved this hotel. We had booked a standard view and were upgraded to a savannah view. There is nothing like waking up to giraffes outside your window in central Florida. The rooms are not enormous by any means, but we were not there to stay in our room. The hotel pool, laundry and on-site restaurants are wonderful! We relied on Disney transportation as we always do, and did not feel that there was any unreasonably long waits for buses or that the trips took particularly long. There are many on-site activities for both adults and children. I highly recommend you check them out. The Kidani pool is more kid-friendly as it has a small water slide in addition to the larger one. Great resort for families, couples, or singles!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank marykatmp
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel is great. It has loads of character and a great deal of effort has gone into making it an African experience. We were able to sit on our balcony and watch the giraffes outside. There is drumming most nights and the kids can join in. The pool is lovely and as you would expect with Disney everything is clean and well organised. We spent a week here and although we were out during the day, we were back in the afternoon and evening. We did not have a car but this is not a problem as there are taxis outside and the concierge are fantastic at recommending restaurants outside of Disney. One tip if you are going to Disney at a busy time like we did, book restaurants on line a few months before you go. We struggled to find reservations at times we wanted to eat. We stayed in a family room with bunk beds which was big enough and had everything we needed. The two restaurants in the hotel are Jiko and Boma. Jiko is table service and expensive, and Boma is a buffet and open for breakfast and dinner. We went to both when we could get reservations and the standard of food is good. If you can not get into these restaurants there is a self service restaurant which was ok, much cheaper but a little repetitive. I suspect if we had a car we would have eaten outside a lot more. Overall a great hotel which the kids will love.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank ChrisJoFabandMarci
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed at Animal Kingdom Resort (Jambo House) with our two kids age 3 and 6 during “spring break “ season 2013- aka as many people crammed ear to ear in the park as humanly possible. Disney moved us to the Animal Kingdom Resort (Jambo House) due to overselling the rooms at Coronado Springs during the time we were to stay. So, we had not really planned or prepared to stay at Animal Kingdom. However, we ended up being more than thrilled with the resort and it did not take long to adjust! I had not read any tripadvisor reviews before coming here, because like I said, I did not know we would be staying here.
The lobby is absolutely gorgeous. There is no doubt in my mind that Disney hired very creative people to design this hotel. It has a very grand feel. The lights in the foyer look like giant shields. At the same time, it has a very cozy feel with a lot of seating areas, where a lot of people can sit in their own groups without feeling overcrowded or like they are taking part in someone else’s conversation . There is a cool indoor fire pit off to one side, and a faux “bridge” overlooking one of the restaurants. These details were not necessary but they just add to the interesting feel of this place. There is absolutely zero “cheese” factor at this hotel (in case you worry that some of the Disney hotels might be too ...um... Disneyfied?)
As noted before, this is the high season for Disney. We knew that before we booked. One of the interesting features of this hotel was, even though we knew the hotel was fully booked, or probably really close to it, the hotel had a very bustling atmosphere, but in no way ever seemed overcrowded or packed (unlike the parks- ha!). I guess it must have to do with the lobby design or just that the amount of space is designed to contain a certain number of people comfortably. In any case, there was always a place to sit and never an outrageous line for anything.
This hotel had so much to offer there was no way we could possibly do it all during the time we had. I mean, most likely you are buying park tickets, but once you see the resort and all of the activities and things to see and do, you also want to spend time at the resort. Since the parks were very busy, we were not conflicted at all about returning to the hotel during lunchtime and spending time wandering around the grounds, swimming in the pool, etc.
Out back is the main savannah and a collection of rocks which just looks like rocks but actually serves as a barrier to keep you from getting too close to the wild animals. Every time we went out there, we met helpful guides offering to answer any questions you might have. My six year old put them to the test!
At night they offer a campfire for kids (or adults) with marshmallow roasting and animal watching. A great activity if you are just too tired to return to the park or taking a break. There were a lot of other activities for kids (I would say age 9 and under appropriate activities) like trivia games at the pool, animal education programs inside the lobby, other lobby games for kids, an outside movie every night, and they even have a babysitting center at the pool level in case you need a break! We did not do pool games, babysitting center , lobby games or the outside movie, (like I said just not enough time) but if the weather had been different or if we had more time, I would absolutely have my kids take part.
Since then I have read some complaints that it is a distance from the parks. It did not seem that way to me. We used the Disney transportation system and did not have any car with us, and we felt the rides on the bus were reasonable. We did not feel the wait at the bus stop was long, and we definitely enjoyed not having to drive or navigate the traffic. The only trip that took a long time in my opinion was the trip to Downtown Disney. To be fair it would take a long time in a car, too, because I think you have to cross the highway. Anyway, it is clear on the other side of the Disney property, so if you plan to spend a lot of time there, just figure that in to your trip- I would say 30 minutes each way (e.g. don’t drag your hungry kids onto the bus and plan to eat at Downtown Disney without a lot of whining and hunger pangs).
Speaking of food, we did the Disney quick service dining plan. While the review of the plan itself is probably a separate review, I will say that we ate at the Animal Kingdom quick service restaurant, The Mara, many times, and we enjoyed it very much. We felt like it was a good value for the price and there was enough variety for kids, adults, snacks, etc., that we did not regret going back several times for different meals. By Disney standards, I’d say we would be considered “adventurous” eaters; The Mara had something for all of us. However, it had the normal Disney stuff so that even “picky” eaters who just want a hamburger or mac n cheese can find something they like, too. It was convenient to the pool and pretty centrally located so that it is a reasonable distance from most of the rooms. If you do get the dining plan you also get a refillable mug, and this is the place where you can refill your mug (unlimited times). The Mara also had its own bagel/ pastry counter and a good selection of desserts, snacks and bottled drinks. We did not eat at any of the other restaurants because they are not quick service establishments. However, we walked through Boma and it was gorgeous. If I were on a different plan I would not hesitate to try it.
Our room was located off the zebra trail overlooking the Uzima savanna on the 4th floor. I cannot speak to other room locations, but this one seemed really ideal for us. The 4th floor gives you enough height off the ground that you can really see a long way in the distance, and yet you are close enough to the animals to get a good look. Our room had a balcony (I think all rooms here have a balcony), and it was just fantastic to sit on the balcony and watch the animals. My daughters had the best time sitting out on the balcony, eating a cupcake and watching an ostrich lay an egg. Where else can you do that?
The room itself was perfect for us. These are not huge rooms, but they have all the necessary amenities (mini fridge, hair dryer, double bath sinks, etc.). The room smelled good. Smell is a big thing. They got the smell right! All of the linens, etc. were spotless. The shower area was all very clean, no issues with dirty grout, etc. Everything was just as I would want it. The décor was African themed, and creative. It is basically a regular hotel room that is interestingly decorated, properly appointed, and really clean. Also we chose a room with bunk beds and a queen, which for us is perfection. Much better than listening to the kids kick each other trying to share a queen bed all night! The mattresses were very comfortable, plenty of soaps and shampoos provided, generous with the towels, etc. The room was great!
The other thing I will add is that the hotel has been designed in a way that every walkway, balcony, elevator waiting area, etc., where they can offer you a view of the animals, they do. So, for example, waiting for the elevator, you can watch the zebras outside. You can see animals from the lobby, and from many many points throughout the hotel. It is not quite as intimate as watching them from your own room balcony, but it is still incredibly cool.
The pool was gorgeous. I think they designed it to look like a watering hole. If so, they succeeded. The vegetation and décor around the pool area was gorgeous. They had a water slide for the kids at the side of the pool and behind that a hidden hot tub. Plenty of lounge chairs to sit and plenty of umbrellas for those who like to stay out of the sun. Also, the lounge chairs were nice heavy duty fabric, not that cheapo vinyl that leaves lines in the back of your legs. The hot tub was awesome. Ok my one complaint for the entire hotel was this: unattended kids in the hot tub (universal complaint I’m sure) and they had a smoking area behind the hot tub and my kids kept telling me they smelled smoke. Not a great way to relax and enjoy what is really a gorgeous hot tub. Even the temperature was perfect. I like that they had The Mara restaurant at pool level so that you can take your food out and eat by the pool or eat inside if you choose.
The one location I would think would not be ideal would be off the giraffe trail. Those rooms facing the front of the building a) have no animal view and b) have a balcony facing the walkway to the bus stop. I can imagine that would be loud during certain times of day. In my opinion it would be a disappointment to come all that way, stay at Animal Kingdom, and see no animals. Maybe they should collect all of the unattended children from the hot tub area in those rooms and not rent them out!
I just wanted to add that the gift shop was great. I prefer not to do a lot of gift shopping in the parks because I feel like time in the parks should be spent walking around, riding rides, and seeing the sights. I was happy to find that the gift shop contained a nice variety of souvenirs, for lots of different kinds of people, ages, etc.
I feel like I have not stressed enough how unique and awesome the animal component was to this hotel. We had such a good time .I have not had a vacation like this in a long time, where everybody came home happy. Whatever frustrations we had with the kids arguing or sore feet, etc. were somehow minimized by the over the top experience at the hotel.
Oh and one more thing- this place was so spotlessly clean and just overall perfectly maintained, and yet we hardly ever saw anybody around cleaning or fixing. How do they do that? Maybe when we all go to sleep they make the giraffes do it. I don’t know.
The only thing I regret about this trip is that I am afraid I will never be able to try another Disney resort again for fear it cannot hold up to the experience I had at Animal Kingdom Lodge.
We had such an incredible time and yes, we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Choose 4th or 5th floor overlooking one of the 3 savannas.
10  Thank Toonces76