“Impressive in Every Way”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Ranked #35 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
New England - USA
“Impressive in Every Way”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I and a group of our friends did not actually sleep overnight here. We spent the entire day on the property visiting friends who are a part of the Disney Vacation Club and who had a room in the Lodge. I was blown away by the beauty and atmosphere in this African-themed resort. We were IMPRESSED by the gorgeous lobby, the African furniture, carvings, sculpture, rugs, torches, ironwork, lower-level restaurant, the actual rooms, etc. and the minute attention to every detail which is so Disney. I took scores of photos from my friends' top floor balcony of the animals who roamed freely in the center of the Lodge area. There are no predatory animals here: just beautiful and gentle creatures. Every sight on the property was more outstanding than the last. The staff was wonderful: very very friendly and helpful. We snagged a brochure from the front desk on the way out so we could see the prices and types of rooms available for a possible stay overnight in the future. I have visited Disney World before, but had not stayed at one of the luxury resorts on the property. This is a real show-stopper and impressive in every way.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KayTee9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,826)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Texas
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The AKL is an awesome experience -- the decor, the animals, and the people really make your stay here part of a Disney adventure. Yes, AKL is a bit further from some of the parks. We did not mind -- the buses are frequent. My kids spent a lot of time talking to the various "guides" that populate the AKL: experts on the animals that wander the grounds. The restaurant Sanaa is fantastic. The people in the gift shop (yes, even the dang gift shop) helped make our trip special: there is a guy there who dresses up as The Kingpin and trades pins with people once a week. (The Kingpin was a highlight of the trip for my pin-trading kids.) We had a Savannah view room with bunk beds. I am unlikely to pay extra for the view next time. My kids thought the view was amazing, but we spent very little time watching animals from the room. I will get the bunks again, those freed up a lot of space in the room. Given the amenities of the AKL vs the Moderate Resorts, I think a basic room at AKL is a far better value.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Horalky
Covington, Washington
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My daughter and I stayed 7 nights at the Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House. What a unique resort with beautiful African themed décor. The enormous lobby was absolutely beautiful with incredible chandeliers and artwork. Our check-in was quick and simple. The cast member that assisted us was helpful and fun. She said since there was availability and it was my daughter’s birthday they would upgrade us from a pool view room to a savanna view room. What a wonderful surprise! Our room was in a great location on the 2nd floor within easy walking distance to the lobby. Our room was spacious with a balcony, a big bonus, overlooking the savanna. We saw a lot of animals off the balcony; zebras, giraffes, antelope, ostriches, ankole cattle, etc. You can also see a lot of animals throughout the resort, lots of great viewing areas. I saw several complaints from other reviewers about the long wait for buses and the long bus rides to the parks from Animal Kingdom Lodge. But we did not wait more than 5 to 15 minutes for the buses. This may be due to the lower crowds in January. The bus ride from the resort was about 5 minutes to Animal Kingdom;10 minutes to Epcot; 10 minutes to Hollywood Studios; 20 minutes to Magic Kingdom. The pool and surrounding area is beautiful with tropical plants and trees. We enjoyed the pool bar and their excellent Margaritas. Mara was good for a quick meal and a snack. We ate at Boma for dinner, really enjoyed the food, but we did not like the atmosphere, it was crowded, too open and noisy. We walked over to Kidani Village and dined at Sanaa. What a wonderful experience, the food was incredible, atmosphere was relaxing and beautiful. Our waiter Ken was great. It is now one of our favorite restaurants on Disney property.

Only thing we would change about our stay, would be to dine at Jiko.

We loved this resort, had an incredible time and hope to return soon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank LoveToTravel9009
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights and it was outstanding. Savannah view room provided a great view of so many different animals. A walk around the hotel grounds provided views of other animals and in Disney style, there are guides at different locations who will discuss the animals with you and were very knowledgeable and most of them were from Africa. Room is used for sleeping and it worked great for that purpose. Before dinner and breakfast, spectacular views. Hotel gift shop was well stocked and the evening bar, breakfast buffet and full service were top notch. The focus was on African wines, food and atmosphere. Definitely staying here next time!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Because we have there what we should value most on these times: nature!
I could see the sun rise from the window of my room with varanda. Zebras, gazelles, buffalos and pelicanos were there to greet me and make me feel special for being there.
Staff wer cheerful and friendly.
Food better than what I've tasted everywhere else in Disney Parks.
I loved the African ambiance and the drums.
The pool has a beautiful design but it was cold to get in.
If I ever go to Disney again (which is nothing the kind of place that has to do with me) I would stay
again at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on Zebra trail, not very far from the lobby.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Astrobeth
Fort Pierce, Florida

Hi everybody
Please forgive my English, I learned it from Colmbo's movies in 80 ties so..
After spending 30 minutes on the phone with an ambassador to Disney imperium we got an reservation for one room in Animal Lodge. It was me with my 8year old son and my friend an optimistic American blond with her daughter. The first room was small, dark with the horrible gray wall to wall carpet- very african. The bed cover was cheap and thin and nasty. The next room( we tried to change the room) was the same but smelled much worse! The keys did not work- it took them over 20 minutes to come and open the doors for us- the kids were cold ( after the pool) the corridors are very long so be aware you will be walking forever if you get a room in the remote part of your 300$ per night where dreams come true rip of. After that you can go and pay more to kill yourself and the kids trying the impossible to enjoy the parks without regretting you did not choose more human friendly destination. The moment I will forget how horrible it was I probably go back to Orlando but this time I will stay in the new hotel for 119 $ without the right to complain. xo

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank Dominika B
Monterey, California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was our first stay at a Disney resort. We chose Animal Kingdom because the thought of waking up with animals outside of our window was appealing to us....especially with our toddler. We were not disappointed in that aspect. Giraffes and zebras were just a few of the wide array of animals to be seen from the comfort of our balcony. The pool area is absolutely beautiful and the food selection available at the resort is among the best Disney has to offer. My biggest complaint about this resort is the distance it is from the parks. It is located behind Animal Kingdom park...which if you are familiar with the WDW resort area, you know, itself, is a good distance away from the other three main theme parks. This could keep me from staying here again, though we visit this resort to enjoy the animals and the food just about every trip we make to Disney World. If you are looking for a relaxing, unique and exotic experience - this is the place to stay. If you are looking to be situated a bit closer to the parks, you may want to try another resort. Either way, you will not be disappointed - Disney resorts have stellar service, great rooms, and great amenities.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank gretchiekc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort
Lake Buena Vista
Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort

Been to Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge? Share your experiences!