We were so excited to arrive after a very long day of travel. Michael checked us in, it was his first day and he was "earning his ears"-he did a fantastic job, was pleasant, answered all of my questions, and had us checked in in no time at all-thanks for a wonderful start to our vacation Michael! We were so happy to see that we had a savannah view room in a standard rate-I don't believe this was an upgrade, but some of the standard view rooms happen to have a view of the savannah. We were on second floor which seemed perfect. There are many opportunities to see the animals throughout the resort as well and they do a lovely job of encouraging the animals to roam throughout the grounds. I think we saw every kind of animal at one point or another. We enjoyed the extra activities as well such as cookie making, pool party, learning the bongos with staff, medallion rubbing. All were fun experiences.
I had been reading some negative reviews online prior to going, and these are my feelings on these items as I took time to note them while there and asked my husband his opinions as well:
-low lighting-I did not feel the room lighting was any lower than other hotel rooms. In fact, we didn't use all of the lights in the room. In the halls, lights are not florescent lighting, it is a nice lamp sort of lighting. This is part of the theme of the hotel, and we found it nice after a busy day.
-small rooms-we felt these rooms were what you would normally have in regard to the size of any room in a hotel. It is not a suite-it is a standard room-and was very adequate for a standard room. What makes it deluxe was the upgraded fixtures, theming, and overall appearance of the room as well as having a balcony. We found it to be a nice upgrade from a moderate resort which we have stayed at in the past.
-water pressure-we found the water pressure to be great. The shower head adjusts-so if you want the feel of less pressure-use one setting, if you want it to feel stronger pressure, put it on another setting. We found it met our needs very well. Additionally, the clothes line that you can pull out in the shower was a nice touch for drying wet suits.
-wait for busses-this was no longer or no shorter of a wait than the moderate that we had stayed at. We never waited longer than 15 minutes for a bus. The longest ride, of course, is to Magic Kingdom-as you would expect when looking at the map. If you must stay close to the MK, then this is not the resort for you. If you want to eat and sleep with amazing animals then this is a wonderful resort for you.
-Hospitality-I have found that your experience is often what you make of it-we treated the CM's kindly and with happiness. We received kind and happy service in response. Everyone we encountered was happy, interactive with our kiddos, and were family friendly.
-Food-We ate at the Mara most of the time. It is quick service-expect quick service level of food. Exception-the chicken flat bread was excellent and I could have eaten it everyday. We thought the food was good.
-Cleanliness of the rooms-we had no complaints. The room was spotless when we arrived, we had a towel Mickey Mouse on the day of arrival, and our room was cleaned daily with extra shampoos, etc added to our room each day. We appreciated the wonderful service.
-Walk-again, this is all in perspective. The walk was far less than what we had when we stayed at a moderate-and it was an air conditioned walk as opposed to walking outside, so we were more than happy.
-Pool-was heated, and was just the right temperature to us for cooling off in. It would have been too cool to swim in on a cold day, but was just right in the 80 degree temps.
My husband had gotten ill during the trip and needed to go to the Dr.-we were surprised that there was even a free shuttle to a clinic by Downtown Disney for him to go to quickly and then get back to the fun the best that he could. Disney really has thought of everything. Additionally, when it was time to leave, Disney had printed out our boarding passes and or magical express passes, and delivered them to our room which was lovely. From beginning to end it was absolutely seemless and disney took care of everything, we felt very well cared for. Well done, Disney!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Step into the heart of Africa at this magnificent Resort hotel. Inspired by the traditional African kraal, the horseshoe-curved design provides spectacular views of 4 lush savannas that over 200 hoofed animals and birds call home. Delight in dazzling pool areas, exciting animal programs and one of the largest collections of African art in the United States as you experience your own African safari adventure with a touch of Disney magic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelsClick, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Animal Kingdom Florida
- Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Disney Animal Kingdom Resort
- Disney Animal Kingdom Hotel
- Animal Kingdom Lodge Disney
- Animal Kingdom Lodge Orlando
- Animal Kingdom Hotel Disney
- Disneys Animal Kingdom Hotel
- Animal Kingdom Hotel Florida