“Amazing Experience”

Ranked #37 of 339 Hotels in Orlando
Brisbane, Australia
“Amazing Experience”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel (and the beautiful animals) were the highlight of our holiday. We had expected to thoroughly enjoy our stay but were taken aback as to how much we loved this property. As our first stay at Disney and over Christmas, I think we had the most magical experience possible. The decorations were so beautiful and the attention to detail in balancing the African elements with charactisation and theme was incredibly well done. My boyfriend is still learning how much he loves Disney, and he was worried about being 'Disneyed-out' after being in one of the parks all day to then come home to more, but we both had a fantastic time. It was a little far from MK but well worth the extra travel time. We will definitely choose to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sneaky_nu123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,841)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Henderson, KY
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here over a year ago but I thought I'd give this resort a review. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa which was so big that 8 people could have stayed here very comfortably. The decor and attention to detail was great. Everything you would expect at a Disney resort of this price level. Check in was easy and quick, I never once saw anything dirty or out of place. You could spend awhile in the lobby just looking around and taking pictures of it all. We never ate in the restaurants except the quick service area of the resort. We had a full service kitchen which we made a lot of our own meals between park visits. Animals just off of your balcony to view much of the day or you could walk out on one of the trails out back. The employees were very helpful describing the animals to us, very informative. The only draw back was the slow bus service to and from the resort. I find many people complain about this so it's not anything pertaining to just this resort. Otherwise I'd recommend this resort to anyone, especially with kids.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank baxter65
Minneapolis
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were able to get a great rate at this Deluxe Resort, so for my first trip to WDW we decided to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The decision that concerned me after reading several reviews of the lodge was that we decided against a Savannah view room, which (if I remember correctly) was around an extra $160 per night. My concern quickly dissolved once we were in our room. We could see the flamingos and several other animals from our balcony, and while it wasn't a prime Savannah view, I don't feel like we missed out on anything. The room itself was lovely and comfortable. I was impressed with the attention to detail in the room, for example, the Lion King lace curtains and the "map of Africa" wallpaper. It was very tastefully done. We were also able to enjoy the animals every time we walked through the halls in the lodge. Honestly, we weren't in our room very much, so I'm glad that we opted for the less expensive option. This decision basically paid for our WDW dining plan, which was quiet a perk!!

The lodge itself was breathtaking! I was in love with this place the moment we walked through the doors. Though there were plenty of families with children in the lodge, this is also a great place for adults visiting WDW without children, as we did.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ScarlettVetter
Saskatchewan
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at Animal Kingdom's Kidani Lodge, Jan 2 to 7, 2013. We had a two bedroom Savanah room and it was neat to look out and see the animals - saw giraffes, zebras, ostrich and yaks or something of that nature. Our room had laundy and was spacious for our family of six.

The pool was large and the kids all loved the waterslide, ping-pong, marshmallow roasting at the fire-pit and the outdoor movie. There is a great spray park too. The only problem we had was day one when the kids were playing with their cousins at the pool and one of the life guards was an absolute beast! Three moms and a grandpa were watching the 8 boys [my four plus cousins] and they were not being bad but he was on their case for every move, making it quite miserable. Thank goodness when the shift change happened!

Another issue was the incredibly long wait for a bus to and from the parks. While other parks and resorts often had 6 busses go by, Animal Kingdom would get one. very. full. bus! Also when one books a shuttle and it leaves 10 minutes early and then you get the next shuttle half an hour later, but don't get told that it has three other stops to make... one can miss their plane! This happened to my brother in law and family so if this happens to you - make sure Animal Kingdom calls you a cab ASAP, on their dime, as they did for my in laws later on the same day!

All in all - had a great stay. A nice little gift shop/store in the lobby too. Everything looked so beautiful decorated for Christmas and the greeters outside were always so friendly when we walked by to the pool etc. I also liked all the Animal Kingdom touches in the room - the engraved furniture, the Lion King silhouette painted tiles in the bathroom, even the sheers/curtains had outlines of animals in the lace! A unique place.

Room Tip: Savana rooms have the view. There are look outs by the pool if you want to save the added expense.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The Animal Kingdom Lodge has a beautiful African themed grand lobby and an awesome setting on a savanna with giraffes, zebras, antelope, cranes and other African animals. Our room was a savanna view and we really enjoyed seeing the animals first thing in the morning roaming around the savanna eating and grazing. That being said we paid over $400 for the room and being Florida residents and having stayed at all of the major Disney hotels except the Grand Floridian, I truly believe all the rooms are the same Hampton Inn quality hotel room experience (actually the bedding at the Hampton Inn is better quality) and you just have to accept that you are paying too much for what you are getting and that is what Disney needs to charge to maintain their magical empire. Having accepted that, I don't think I would return to the Animal Kingdom Lodge because it really is a little too far out of the way from everything else except Animal Kingdom but it was on our bucket list to stay there so we did it.

3 Thank ILuvLexie
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This hotel is absolutely beautiful. We spent our first night just walking around the hotel and its villas. Both have great viewing areas for the animals and at night you can use night vision glasses to see the animals. However, I do have 2 problems with this hotel. #1 this hotel is the farthest from all the parks except the Animal Kingdom and all our bus rides were at least 30 minutes which is very long especially if you have to stand on the bus. #2 The hotel pool and hot tub were temporarly closed for 2 of the 3 days we were there, which needless to say we were extremely disappointed. This is considered one of disney's deluxe hotels and they only said sorry for the inconvenience but gave us no discount nor did anything for us. I go to both disney and universal several times a year and I was very disappointed in this. I will certainly think twice before I spend that kind of money for a disney deluxe hotel..

1 Thank esamlen
Hackensack, New Jersey
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Last week my husband and I took our 3 yr old grandson to Disney World. We have gone twice a year for 25 years. This time we stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We were very unhappy with the room size and the oversized furniture. The bathroom could not fit two people in it at the same time, it was difficult to bathe my grandson. Housekeeping didn't clean our room one day ,so we had to make a few phone calls before we got clean towels and glasses.
On our first night after 11:30 pm we heard strange sounds from the walls. Housekeeping was doing plumbing in the room above us. We heard an electric snake going through the drains. Pretty scary !

Room Tip: No opinion
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort
Lake Buena Vista
Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort

Been to Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge? Share your experiences!