“A safari in our backyard!”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Ranked #39 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at Animal Kingdom's Kidani Lodge, Jan 2 to 7, 2013. We had a two bedroom Savanah room and it was neat to look out and see the animals - saw giraffes, zebras, ostrich and yaks or something of that nature. Our room had laundy and was spacious for our family of six.

The pool was large and the kids all loved the waterslide, ping-pong, marshmallow roasting at the fire-pit and the outdoor movie. There is a great spray park too. The only problem we had was day one when the kids were playing with their cousins at the pool and one of the life guards was an absolute beast! Three moms and a grandpa were watching the 8 boys [my four plus cousins] and they were not being bad but he was on their case for every move, making it quite miserable. Thank goodness when the shift change happened!

Another issue was the incredibly long wait for a bus to and from the parks. While other parks and resorts often had 6 busses go by, Animal Kingdom would get one. very. full. bus! Also when one books a shuttle and it leaves 10 minutes early and then you get the next shuttle half an hour later, but don't get told that it has three other stops to make... one can miss their plane! This happened to my brother in law and family so if this happens to you - make sure Animal Kingdom calls you a cab ASAP, on their dime, as they did for my in laws later on the same day!

All in all - had a great stay. A nice little gift shop/store in the lobby too. Everything looked so beautiful decorated for Christmas and the greeters outside were always so friendly when we walked by to the pool etc. I also liked all the Animal Kingdom touches in the room - the engraved furniture, the Lion King silhouette painted tiles in the bathroom, even the sheers/curtains had outlines of animals in the lace! A unique place.

Room Tip: Savana rooms have the view. There are look outs by the pool if you want to save the added expense.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The Animal Kingdom Lodge has a beautiful African themed grand lobby and an awesome setting on a savanna with giraffes, zebras, antelope, cranes and other African animals. Our room was a savanna view and we really enjoyed seeing the animals first thing in the morning roaming around the savanna eating and grazing. That being said we paid over $400 for the room and being Florida residents and having stayed at all of the major Disney hotels except the Grand Floridian, I truly believe all the rooms are the same Hampton Inn quality hotel room experience (actually the bedding at the Hampton Inn is better quality) and you just have to accept that you are paying too much for what you are getting and that is what Disney needs to charge to maintain their magical empire. Having accepted that, I don't think I would return to the Animal Kingdom Lodge because it really is a little too far out of the way from everything else except Animal Kingdom but it was on our bucket list to stay there so we did it.

3  Thank ILuvLexie
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This hotel is absolutely beautiful. We spent our first night just walking around the hotel and its villas. Both have great viewing areas for the animals and at night you can use night vision glasses to see the animals. However, I do have 2 problems with this hotel. #1 this hotel is the farthest from all the parks except the Animal Kingdom and all our bus rides were at least 30 minutes which is very long especially if you have to stand on the bus. #2 The hotel pool and hot tub were temporarly closed for 2 of the 3 days we were there, which needless to say we were extremely disappointed. This is considered one of disney's deluxe hotels and they only said sorry for the inconvenience but gave us no discount nor did anything for us. I go to both disney and universal several times a year and I was very disappointed in this. I will certainly think twice before I spend that kind of money for a disney deluxe hotel..

1  Thank esamlen
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Last week my husband and I took our 3 yr old grandson to Disney World. We have gone twice a year for 25 years. This time we stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We were very unhappy with the room size and the oversized furniture. The bathroom could not fit two people in it at the same time, it was difficult to bathe my grandson. Housekeeping didn't clean our room one day ,so we had to make a few phone calls before we got clean towels and glasses.
On our first night after 11:30 pm we heard strange sounds from the walls. Housekeeping was doing plumbing in the room above us. We heard an electric snake going through the drains. Pretty scary !

Room Tip: No opinion

Bed's need replacement:
We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and found the place very nice and magical.
Everything was great until we went to bed.
We found bed's that one would expect in a cheap hotel.
For the money we paid for our 3 day stay we could have stayed at a Holiday Inn with newer bed's.
The bed's slopped towards the night table to middle, it was not comfortable.
Since we already had unpacked we stayed with it.
Before excepting a room, check the bed's, something for the price we paid we should not have had to do,
Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Check the bed's before accepting the room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ronald K
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I am a HUGE disney lover, I just dont know if I would recommend this hotel. I am glad I stayed there, but not sure I would return or recommend.

The staff is very nice, very easy to get around the hotel, its just a big hotel with lots of walking.

I love the food in the hotel, the pool is nice, they also have a steam room/sauna.

My con about the steam/sauna is why cant this stay open later? They are opened 8am-8pm, if you are visiting Disney that is when you are in the parks, I don't understand this concept. It would be nice to come back to hotel and relax after a LONG day in the park.

A big downside for when I was there, was the main pool and hot tub was closed. They don't tell you that at booking, it was closed 2 of the 4 days I was there.

The big question I asked before I went there, was which location should I stay at? Honestly as long as your view is not of the pool or parking lot, its no big deal, DONT PAY for the upgrade view ARUSHA.....TRUST ME!!!!!! I saw both views during my stay and honestly there is no real different except a price....get the savanna and you will be happy.

I honestly if I was on a budget, would recommend The Pop Century hotel which is my Disney Standard only due to costs. As I said I am glad I stayed here to say I did, but I would not come back...save money and eat at good locations at Disney.

1  Thank simpleohio
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hotel is not inexpensive but if you time your vacation during the off-season specials it will make more visits to this amazing hotel possible. The lobby is furnished in true lodge style with dark woods and comfortable seating for reading and resting. There is a fire pit right outside the main lobby where late night stories are told. The ceilings inside the lobby extend up the entire building and each floor level can be seen from here. The pool is a zero entry oasis. Great music and lots of towels and lounge chairs with shade. The animals are kept behind a wooden fence at the rear of the property with plenty of areas for you to see them. The staff is ready to explain all about their care and even share personal stories from their native land of Africa. The restaurant BOMA can not be missed. This is an exceptional african buffet that even the kids will beg to go back to! Make reservations if you can but they are also very accomodating to walk ins. The rooms are normal Disney size, with shampoo, conditioner, gels and soap. Rooms come with extra pillows and blankets. A/C is thermostat controlled and quiet. The restauarant near pool open for 3 squares and items can be purchased from the Souvenir store as well.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple