“Not worth the view”

Ranked #34 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Hackensack, New Jersey
“Not worth the view”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Last week my husband and I took our 3 yr old grandson to Disney World. We have gone twice a year for 25 years. This time we stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We were very unhappy with the room size and the oversized furniture. The bathroom could not fit two people in it at the same time, it was difficult to bathe my grandson. Housekeeping didn't clean our room one day ,so we had to make a few phone calls before we got clean towels and glasses.
On our first night after 11:30 pm we heard strange sounds from the walls. Housekeeping was doing plumbing in the room above us. We heard an electric snake going through the drains. Pretty scary !

Room Tip: No opinion
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,814)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Fort Pierce, Florida

Bed's need replacement:
We stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and found the place very nice and magical.
Everything was great until we went to bed.
We found bed's that one would expect in a cheap hotel.
For the money we paid for our 3 day stay we could have stayed at a Holiday Inn with newer bed's.
The bed's slopped towards the night table to middle, it was not comfortable.
Since we already had unpacked we stayed with it.
Before excepting a room, check the bed's, something for the price we paid we should not have had to do,
Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Check the bed's before accepting the room.
1 Thank Ronald K
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I am a HUGE disney lover, I just dont know if I would recommend this hotel. I am glad I stayed there, but not sure I would return or recommend.

The staff is very nice, very easy to get around the hotel, its just a big hotel with lots of walking.

I love the food in the hotel, the pool is nice, they also have a steam room/sauna.

My con about the steam/sauna is why cant this stay open later? They are opened 8am-8pm, if you are visiting Disney that is when you are in the parks, I don't understand this concept. It would be nice to come back to hotel and relax after a LONG day in the park.

A big downside for when I was there, was the main pool and hot tub was closed. They don't tell you that at booking, it was closed 2 of the 4 days I was there.

The big question I asked before I went there, was which location should I stay at? Honestly as long as your view is not of the pool or parking lot, its no big deal, DONT PAY for the upgrade view ARUSHA.....TRUST ME!!!!!! I saw both views during my stay and honestly there is no real different except a price....get the savanna and you will be happy.

I honestly if I was on a budget, would recommend The Pop Century hotel which is my Disney Standard only due to costs. As I said I am glad I stayed here to say I did, but I would not come back...save money and eat at good locations at Disney.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank simpleohio
Orlando, Fl
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hotel is not inexpensive but if you time your vacation during the off-season specials it will make more visits to this amazing hotel possible. The lobby is furnished in true lodge style with dark woods and comfortable seating for reading and resting. There is a fire pit right outside the main lobby where late night stories are told. The ceilings inside the lobby extend up the entire building and each floor level can be seen from here. The pool is a zero entry oasis. Great music and lots of towels and lounge chairs with shade. The animals are kept behind a wooden fence at the rear of the property with plenty of areas for you to see them. The staff is ready to explain all about their care and even share personal stories from their native land of Africa. The restaurant BOMA can not be missed. This is an exceptional african buffet that even the kids will beg to go back to! Make reservations if you can but they are also very accomodating to walk ins. The rooms are normal Disney size, with shampoo, conditioner, gels and soap. Rooms come with extra pillows and blankets. A/C is thermostat controlled and quiet. The restauarant near pool open for 3 squares and items can be purchased from the Souvenir store as well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravLin93
warwickshire
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My family and I stayed at The Animal kingdom Lodge during our holiday at WDW over the Christmas period. We had a wonderful stay, the hotel was nice and clean and beautifully decorated. Almost all the staff were friendly and helpful (Concierge however had one of the most rudest Disney employee I have ever met).
All in all a great hotel

6 Thank alex P
Chesterton, Indiana
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My family was at Disney's Animal Kingdom between Christmas and New Year's 2012. The hotel was beautiful and the animals outside were awesome to watch! The hotel is very clean and the staff is wonderful. I was disappointed in the size of our room. We had 2 adults and 2 children We were on the second floor with a pool view room. There was barely enough room for us and our suitcases in the room. The bathroom is even smaller and very dark. There is hardly enough room to get dressed. Everything was clean but definitely too small. We ate at both Mara and Boma on the Dining plan. The Mara's food was average at best. Boma was very good and the staff was great. My daughter has a nut allergy and they were wonderful at making sure we knew what she could eat. We chose to do our Quick-service dining at the parks. There was better choices. There is a great pool area and arcade that the kids loved. Bus service to and from the parks was great and we never had to wait a long time. Overall, we loved Disney and Animal Kingdom Lodge but felt the rooms were too small for the price.

Room Tip: We didn't choose an animal view room but there were plenty of places to view the animals. It wo...
1 Thank JeanneK4
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My family and I stayed at Jambo house for 9 days the week before Christmas and had a lovely stay!

PROS:

1) What can I say? It's a beautiful resort, decorated with fantastic artwork and pieces from Africa.

2) The rooms are very clean and the beds very comfortable.

3) The "cast members" (not "staff) go the extra mile to make you feel special. The minute you pull up to the hotel, they greet you (with "Welcome home") at the front door to either escort you to the front dest or to answer any questions you have. Everyday, our room towels were in the shape of cute animals and they would place my son's teddy bear in different locations around the room to greet him when we got back at the end of the day. On another occasion, due to a glitch in the computer system, our park passes were to expire a day earlier than what we paid for. The lady at the front dest was so helpful in fixing this and even credited us back money for the inconvenience placed on us! Everybody (and I mean everybody) had smiles on their faces and a genuine willingness to help. This being our first time visit, we appreciated this!

4) Food was great and if you have food allergies (my son's allergic to peanuts), they take time to go over the menu as to what is safe and what should be avoided. My husband and I were really thankful for this.

5) Seeing the animals roam around the savannah was amazing! Waking up in the morning and seeing giraffes and other animals outside our balcony is something I will not be forgetting soon!

6) Lovely pool and the fact it was heated is a bonus!

7) Being a Disney resort, the place is EXTREMELY kid friendly.

8) Shuttle service outside the hotel made it so convenient visiting the parks everyday and because we were staying on property, we had access when the parks opened an hour early or stayed open 2-3 hours later (only for resort guests).

9) I don't know if it was because close to Christmas but we were able to take pictures with Mickey and Minnie in the lobby of our hotel!

CONS:

1) This resort is pricey and I was a bit dissapointed to see the room was smaller than I expected.

2)The hotel hallways and lobby a little dark (it would have been nice to have a bit more natural light in the inside public areas).

3) If you look closely, the hallway carpets are a little worn.

4) You still have to pay a separate fee for entry to Animal Kingdom ( if that's the park you want to visit). This just meant we added an extra day ($10) to our park pass (no biggie).

Disneyworld truly is a magical place to visit and staying at this resort just made it even more magical for me and my family. We will definitely be coming back here!

Room Tip: Try to get a savannah view room, if you can!
1 Thank Jen P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort
Lake Buena Vista
Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort

Been to Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge? Share your experiences!