I stayed here in a Jambo House DVC 1 bed Value Villa up on the 5th floor, which I scored with an Annual Passholders discount rate. There are 12 of this category room and you cannot select your view choice (and all priced the same regardless of view) so I was very fortunate to score a savannah view (when I could have been overlooking at the front entrance).
The room was impressive in size but apparently about a metre shorter than the ordinary 1 bd villas.
Full sized kitchen, with full appliances, and enough of everything to cover about 8 people. Also it was proper crockery and cutlery (unlike Saratoga Springs where I scored paper plates and plastic cutlery). Although my room did not have the kitchen island I have seen in some photos.
dining table / bench and 2 chairs for 4 / 5 people.
one 2 seater sofa + 1 arm chair (both of which pull out to beds) looking at a TV in cabinet.
Bedroom had a small closet, TV and drawer cabinet, desk and chair, and HUGE bed which pretty much filled the room - very little space left.
Bathroom was very big - separate little toilet room, double sink, spa bath (long rectangular one) with shower over bath. Usual disney toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, soap - no lotion or shower cap).
Long balcony that came off both the bedroom and lounge room.
So the room was a great size esp. for me as 1 person. Everything was very clean and in perfect working order. My only complaint was that the spa was blasting out some pipe mold when used. Plenty of towels in the standard disney postage stamp size.
despite being DVC I was a cash payer so I got housekeeping daily. They did the usual job.
The whole hotel is very heavily themed with the african / Lion King theme. If it can be themed, they have. From the magnificent lobby, through to the tiles and bed head in the room. Even the timber surrounds in the room have been distressed to look older and recycled.
Service here was very good - plenty of greeters at the driveway. Car valet and baggage was very quick. No matter with whom I interacted they were lovely, reliable and efficient - the much highlighted disney service.
having experienced a savannah room I am not sure I would recommend it as essential. I found very little action outside my window - at times nothing. One could see the same thing out the viewing windows in the corridors and go to the special view platforms and walks. And it is not like there are great herds of magestic beasts galloping across the plains - it is 3 zebras nibbling the grass, or a stork wandering around. So think about whether you really want to pay extra for the view.
The resort is a long way away from the other parks. I had a car and used it to go every where - not relying on the buses which would have taken up to an hour to get you to Magic Kingdom.
it is a very popular resort and is heavily used. Perhaps there are also a lot of visitors coming to look. The lobby was always very busy and with the christmas carols, story telling, drumming and big open plan space it always seemed noisy and crowded. My room (the last in the corridor) was very quiet.
I had dinner at Jiko and went and checked out Mara (have previously eaten at Boma) they are all exactly what they purport to be - Jiko is upmarket - the food is good quality, and more interesting plates than you'll get anywhere else - very happy! Mara is your basic takeaway very similar to all the others at Disney resorts.
I really enjoyed my stay here - I had a great room - loved the theming - great service and it was useful I had a car to make it easily accessible.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Step into the heart of Africa at this magnificent Resort hotel. Inspired by the traditional African kraal, the horseshoe-curved design provides spectacular views of 4 lush savannas that over 200 hoofed animals and birds call home. Delight in dazzling pool areas, exciting animal programs and one of the largest collections of African art in the United States as you experience your own African safari adventure with a touch of Disney magic. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Groupon, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline and Hotwire so you can book your Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Animal Kingdom Florida
- Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Disney Animal Kingdom Resort
- Disney Animal Kingdom Hotel
- Animal Kingdom Lodge Disney
- Animal Kingdom Lodge Orlando
- Animal Kingdom Hotel Disney
- Disneys Animal Kingdom Hotel
- Animal Kingdom Hotel Florida