“Best Disney hotel by far! @c_mase5”

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Ranked #39 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
“Best Disney hotel by far! @c_mase5”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Stayed in August fantastic location, not too expensive, room was very big, service exceptional cannot fault any member of staff, didnt eat at the hotel but did have room service which was prompt. Would recommend this hotel, where else can you stay and look out of your window and see giraffes and other animals! @c_mase5

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank kmason5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,781)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boynton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Disney's attention to detail is mind boggling, every light switch cover, rug, lamp, wall covering, table, etc. is meticulously coordinated into the African theme of AKL. The lobby is stunning, just look up at the lighting and ceiling, the details in everything are incredible. We brought our animal-loving daughter here and stayed in a Savannah view room. I overslept every morning because the beds and bedding are so comfortable I was in la-la land, I finally had to set my alarm ON VACATION. The giraffes, zebras, cranes, and other animals were literally 50' from our balcony. Beautiful! Walk around the property and you will see pelicans, flamingos, storks, ankole cattle, ostrich and other animals. We enjoyed the hot tub, and our daughter enjoyed the large pool and slide. We ate at Boma twice and the quick-service restaurant by the pool a few times. The food at Boma was excellent, and I'm glad I tried some African-inspired dishes. The only complaint I would have is the Direct TV in the room was horrible, tiling on every channel all 6 nights of our visit.

Room Tip: The Savannah view was worth the extra money IMO
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Missmommy19
Pittsburgh, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

The view from our Savannah room was great.

The room was missing a remote for the tv and did not have the correct time on the ihome and it could not be set because it was broken. The blanket on one of the beds was covered with long hair.

When you are paying $400+ a night the room should be perfect when the guest arrives.

We did not hear noise from other rooms when we were in our room unless we were out on our balcony and so was someone else. This is the way a room should be.

The concierge was very helpful in getting tickets for the parks but when it came to making dinner reservations at Epcot he got it wrong. He made the reservation for the incorrect restaurant and I did not notice it until we were headed to Epcot for the evening. Thank goodness we were able to get into the restaurant we wanted but we had to camp out to do it. Epcot was very busy and to get into a place for dinner was nearly impossible.

The disney transporation for the most part was very good except when we tried to return to the hotel around noon we had to wait 45 minutes for a bus from Magic Kingdom back.

The breakfast at the hotel was very good but the choices at dinner time was all African flair so we decided that we better eat all of our meals at the parks or downtown Disney.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is my absolute favorite for a romantic getaway. To celebrate a special occasion we used our Disney Vacation Club membership to stay on the Concierge level known as the Kilimanjaro Club. We had a wonderful time!
For those that want to relax or have a truly unique experience this is a top choice hotel. The amount of activities are endless. The food is fabulous, and for those not as interested in spice or African flavors there are a good amount of American offerings as well.
The concierge level is one of the best I have ever experienced. The breakfast is continental but offers more than what I have experience at chain hotels. I love quinoa and if you have not had quinoa it is like oatmeal or porridge but has more protein.
The tea service is nice, held in the afternoon, nothing over the top. However, the hors' deourves, beer, and wine offered every night is the best way to begin wrapping up the day, being back home I miss it very much.
The only negative thought I have is that there is a pretty significant difference in the level of service offered by regular Disney cast members vs. the concierge cast members. For example, when we went to the lounge downstairs to have some cocktails the bartenders were very grumpy, one was complaining about trying to give her "shift way". I understand people have complaints about work, but the whole reason I am there is to escape my own troubles, and yes she was only complaining to her coworker, but it was right there at the bar for all the hear. Also, anytime we bought something at the gift shop it took the cast members such a long time to ring us or anyone else up. It was like everyone in the shop was moving in slow motion.
We did have a delightful service over at Sanaa, located in the second section of the hotel called Kidani Village. Sanaa has a view of the savanna, so it is the only eatery with a view of the animals.
Again, for the most part, it seemed like the people working the concierge level were the real Disney cast members and all the other areas it felt like the cast was just okay. Definitely training and leadership issues in the merchandise areas and the lounge on the third floor.
We will definitely be back and are very thankful for our DVC membership so that we can enjoy places like the lodge. Hopefully, the rest of the cast members will get a refresher course on proper Disney behaviors by then. The hotel really is delightful, unlike anything else.
Sometimes people complain about the bus service, but really any Disney hotel has its ups and downs with transportation. It only take 10 minutes once you are on the bus to get to Epcot, Hollywood, or Animal Kingdom park, Magic Kingdom is about 20. However, the buses do go over to Kidani Village first then to Jambo House. But I can't blame Disney for sharing buses.

If you've been to Disney before this hotel is a must-do!

Room Tip: The extra cost for a savanna view is SOOOOOO worth it, Concierge level DVC rooms are 50% savanna 50...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank HometownOrlandoGirl
Harlan, KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

We had a 2-bedroom villa with a Savannah View. The view does not disappoint. There are animals to be seen day and night right out from the balcony. The cast members are very helpful and friendly. The lodge is beautiful! The only drawback is that depending on where your villa is located, it may be quite a walk to the lobby. It was well worth it! Our kids loved as well as my husband and I.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HarlanKY
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I went there for my birthday .It was great i loved watching the animals when i went to bed and waking up.I loved meeting kid and swimming in the pool also they have nightvision goggles to watch the animals at night. the staff was night the rooms where clean and comfortable. they also have a landury room and childcare staff.and a mailroom. If you really want to see the animals they have a breaskfast and dinner safria ride but its like a $130. they Also have a free gym to use and 3 restrunts and 1 bar i loved it.

Room Tip: rooms that have a animal view are the best because some of the animals only sleep 2 hours a day.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cori g
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed at animal kingdom first night of our holiday after 10 long boring scary hours on a plane with a 4yr old who was an angel (I moaned in my head the whole time I hate flying). Got in to a huge car, drove first time in america just myself and my daughter in the dark got lost but the second I hit that security booth a big warm friendly smile was at my window explaining where I needed to go. Big hello cheery, chat and a welcome home sent me on my way to reception. I was so exhausted I was being a bit thick and confused and their patience was endless waiting for me with my paper work and confirmation etc. The second we walked in the foyer we said wow together! She had so much fun finding all the mickeys and different African animals. We even had all the lion king characters in our curtains and wall paper. The attention to detail was fab couldn't fault it. The staff throughout were friendly and happy. The entire resort was spotless! Didn't see many animals from our room but as they're allowed to roam free what can you expect? It's their choice and no fault of the hotel at all! Get up early or when it's dark and there's lots of men around to show you where the animals are and tell you whatever you want to know! The food was great staff again there bent over backwards to help as I have allergies, just one but very serious. So the chef personally went through every dish! When my little girl was exhausted and we wanted to quickly eat and go bed the lovely girls who we got friendly with made a special fuss of her to decorate her own cookie and be chef for the night to try to keep her amused! Hint-be friendly and you get it right back at you. One tiny fault is our room was, what felt like miles after a 20hr day of travelling, a very long way from reception but easy to find. I even got off at the wrong hotel one day and stopped at the village and not the resort and when I asked the concierge how do I get back to my hotel he smiled, clicked his fingers behind me and maybe 20secs later there was a white car that personally drove us to our hotel explaining it happens all the time. I felt like a rock star!! Why? I don't know. I'm just a normal, single mum on the holiday I saved for, for years. But after reading some of the comments on here I had to write and say simply how wonderful the whole experience was!! I'm saving to go back already this hotel is great. Worth every penny! Obviously the hotel isn't as close to the magic kingdom as say the polynesian or contemporary etc but you can't have it all can you? The transport is still free so no problem : )

• Stayed February 2012
7 Thank lauraevie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Lake Buena Vista
Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort
Lake Buena Vista
Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort

Been to Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge? Share your experiences!