“Second time here and just as good as the first”

Dragonfly Robata Grill & Sushi
Reserve with OpenTable
Dragonfly Robata Grill & Sushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #373 of 3,897 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Sand Lake Road West & Della Drive
Description: Savory. Artful. Authentic. Dragonfly Robata Grill & Sushi uses the freshest ingredients available to create flavorful Japanese dishes and spirited concoctions. We provide friends, neighbors & family a place to gather and share thoughts. Share moments. Create meaningful connections.
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This was the second time to eat at Dragonfly. My wife and I love Sushi and this is THE place to have great Sushi in a fun atmosphere while in Orlando. We have taken our daughter both times. She was 9 months the first time and almost two years the second time. If you go early enough, then a small child would be OK if you bring food with you for them. Also a great night out for a couple or even as a group to have fun sampling all kinds of great Sushi. My wife and I will definitely go back on our next trip to Orlando.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

We went to Dragonfly based on the positive feedback on this website. One reviewer even said it is not your typical Japanese restaurant. I assumed this to mean a better than average restaurant, but on reflection I think it meant a poorer than average restaurant. Let me explain with some examples.

Take the "Cobra Kai Roll" - see the picture provided by the restaurant on tripadvisor's website. Now look at what we got. Ours looked very slap-dash. The restaurant's picture had each slice arranged neatly and artfully in a single elegant row. Ours was stacked like a block, in a double row that failed to express the lavishness and drama of the dish. Japanese cuisine is well-known for presentation. Not here. The taste came as a shock. We are used to sushi rolls that are fresh and delicate in taste. But Cobra Kai's taste was strong and overwhelming - it had raw garlic pesto that totally over-powered the clean and delicate taste of the Loch Duart salmon. I thought the yellow filling looked and tasted odd. I checked the menu and it said "Snow Crab Delight". To me, this is often an euphemism for something they would rather not tell you - so I had to ask. It is snow crab roe, with snow crab mixed with mayonnaise. Would I have ordered the dish if they said exactly what it contained? I probably would, but to engage marketing-speak in a menu is unforgivable and very bad style indeed.

Next, consider "Ultimate Tuna Roll". Now this tasted unadulterated and very fresh. Yes, this is finally what we expect of Japanese food. But sadly the presentation was amateurish, untidy and in a mess. See my picture. We eat with our eyes first, and any Japanese roll would be presented with exactness and absolute precision. Ours looked like it was cut with blunt scissors and presented by someone who cannot even spell sushi.

Finally, consider the "Miso Yaki Black Cod". Again, compare the restaurant's picture on tripadvisor and our picture of the same dish tonight. A world of difference that says it all - the standard has slipped. It tasted fine - just as good as the best miso cod I've had in the past. But the presentation was disappointing, to say the least.

Would I go back? Probably not. We were in a very humble Sushi restaurant on Washington Ave in Miami last week. The sushi was excellent, presentation was very artful, precise, neat and appealing. (See attached picture) It also tasted wonderful. It cost a fraction of what we paid in Dragonfly. And to be honest, I would go back to the humble Sushi restaurant in Miami anytime.

Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

The place is clean and modern with outside seating available. The food is very good we were a group of 6, so I tried practically everything. All of it exceed my expectations, risotto, sushi, steak, nothing was disappointing at all. The signature roll, and the surf n turf so good! Spider roll my favorite. Even if you do not eat sushi they have a mean selection of grilled options. The menu isn't cheap and the place is typically busy, so the ambiance makes it's a great place to go before a night out. The course serving was a little odd and shaky, but we were a challenge to take care of and the place was jammed. All in all a great time, server was awesome, sorry I didn't remember his name but he handled the challenge professionally. Great time, great food, a must try.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Back from a
This place is amazing. Their evening happy hour had a minimal selection, but the drinks were inventive, the tapas was broad, and the main menu was substantial. The ribeye yakisoba was a hit, and their sushi rolls, especially the namesake roll, should not be overlooked.

Definitely one of the better meals in Orlando that I've had on my many visits, I'll be back!

My ONLY con (significant enough to deduct a star) is that the service was lackluster. The outside bar hosted 15 people, without walkups, yet getting a refill or an order placed was a 10+ minute affair. Not only disappointing, as I felt torn between dinner conversation and trying to flag down passing staff, but a revenue loss for them too.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

We had Dinner there and found it to be excellent.

Great food [ try the black cod ] and a nice range of wine & sake.

A real find and will return if I'm back in Orlando