“Different”

Dragonfly Robata Grill & Sushi
Reserve with OpenTable
Dragonfly Robata Grill & Sushi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #334 of 3,827 Restaurants in Orlando
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Sand Lake Road West & Della Drive
Description: Savory. Artful. Authentic. Dragonfly Robata Grill & Sushi uses the freshest ingredients available to create flavorful Japanese dishes and spirited concoctions. We provide friends, neighbors & family a place to gather and share thoughts. Share moments. Create meaningful connections.
Florida
“Different”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Dragonfly was different than I expected. It's the attractive, upscale Sushi and Japanese Restaurant you'd expect to find in a tourist hub like Orlando. I found the 'House Special' Sashimi choices lacking. They came marinated in heavy doses of flavored oils which masked the special flavor of the fish. The Agedashi Tofu was tough. The Nigiri sushi was fine, especially the Uni, but the extensive list of rolls all had house names that made selection difficult. That said, they tasted fine.
We were seated at a very small table, in a dark part of the room....the only light being a tea candle and spill over from other parts of the restaurant. The table was so small that when the food started coming out, it wouldn't fit and the server started placing dishes overlapping.
Another annoying thing about Dragonfly: It suffers from the ubiquitous 'is everything ok' interruptions from the server. It maters little if you're in the middle of conversation, the server is going to butt in with that statutory question every 10 minutes or so.
If a 'safe' Japanese food eating experience, in a very nicely decorated restaurant, with decent food reasonably priced is what you're after...go here. If you want a non-tourist place, go somewhere else. I usually eat at Hanamizuki when I want authentic Japanese food (where the staff...unless it's the owner/chef, never interrupts or tells you their name)...I think I'll continue doing that.

• Visited March 2013

West Chester, Pennsylvania
“This Dragon Soars”
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a sushi restaurant and was advised to try The Dragonfly. It was spectacular japanese tapas starting with the buttered sautéed edamame then grilled asparagus and grilled scallops. Great service wonderful food and good beer.

Gulfport, Mississippi
“Excellent Sushi and Service”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I recently attended a conference in Orlando and for dinner one evening was looking for sushi. I asked the concierge at the hotel for a recommendation and she offered the name "Dragonfly." As she was mentioning it, another guest agreed that it was the place to go.

As for the service:

I went with a small party of five people. We had zero wait to be seated at the restaurant even though it was quite crowded at the time. Our wait staff was immediately there for our drink order. Upon returning with the beverages, he began walking us through the menu highlighting many of the different options, that honestly, I may never have looked at before he mentioned them. He was VERY knowledgeable about each item. As we were placing our orders he would offer suggestions to other items that would help to explore your tastes while still giving you the taste of what you were looking for. It was very apparent that this was no ordinary sushi restaurant. Service was just fantastic.

As for the food:

I don't even know where to start. I ordered Edamame for an appetizer and was expecting the same ole' soy beans and sea salt. What I received was not like any edamame I have ever eaten. I can't explain it but it was delicious!

I ordered a few rolls and was certainly not disappointed. If you are going to have one though, it has to be the specialty "Dragonfly" roll. I have traveled all over the U.S. and any several countries and I have NEVER had a roll that tasted as decadent. I honestly think I could have eaten a few more of them before I left. Just absolutely incredible flavor.

I read a few reviews that mentioned slow service and pricey food. Absolutely not my experience at all. Everyone was on point for our party and as for the price, it's sushi, it won't be like ordering a burger at McDonalds. If you want good food, then be prepared to pay a little bit more for it especially since most people have drinks. Well worth the price for me!

If you find yourself in Orlando and are looking for some great sushi, this is your place!!! I will definitely be back the next time I travel here!!!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank jpressly2791
Fort Myers, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A fun time gastronomically”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is THE restaurant to enjoy. The atmosphere, service staff and, of course, the food is excellent. Always eat here when going to Orlando for a visit.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Patriciadege
Hollywood, South Carolina
“Awesome Sushi”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

If you are looking for an awesome sushi restaurant, then this is THE place to go. They also have a lot of other options as well. We went for sushi and were very impressed. Prices are on the high side but worth it. Also the atmosphere is great. Not too fancy.

Visited February 2013