“Great place”

Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve
Ranked #4 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Service was excellent. Staff was always willing help with anything you need. Pool area was great for the whole family

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank clippercrew

Reviewed November 6, 2010

We went to Marriott Lakeshore Reserve to ignore most of the touristy pulls of Orlando and just relax at this beautiful resort.

Our room wasn't ready until around 5:00 but we used the time to look around a bit. While waiting we got our welcome gift (a sun visor) and an invitation to the sales presentation, which we accepted. Got $100 value on Universal tickets, for a very low pressure, actually enjoyable visit with Ron the next day.

Our 4th floor room overlooked a parking lot under construction and the tennis courts, despite asking for a nice view. We did have a nice view of the JW Marriott which was gorgeous when the sun hit it every morning. There was also a lake beyond the parking lot and we spotted an alligator swimming the first day, and enjoyed looking for him throughout the week. On our last day he was sunning himself and we walked over and took pics. He retreated when we tried to get closer.

Of course everything is brand new, which is a big plus. We stayed in the biggest of the 2 bedroom units (deluxe?) and it's basically a larger one bedroom master suite unit with a lock off to a smaller one bedroom unit. It's a good thing our kids are older (15 and 11) because they were FAR away due to the lock off arrangement (which was a big waste of space). They thought it was cool having their own "apartment" and kept their own snacks and stuff in their kitchen. The front desk person said there is only one of these room configurations on every floor.

I thought the rooms were rather small (I had to move a chair just to get into my side of the bed) and I was somewhat disappointed at first, but after a day or two, I really came to appreciate the small details that most resorts overlook. I'm talking about hooks near the shower, full length mirrors in the bathroom, high sink counter, double sinks, drawers that close themselves (though that made them a little hard to pull open), soap dish in shower, clothes line over tub, hangers that actually come off the rod, and 2 nice size garbage cans in kitchen drawer cabinet. Beds were very comfy.

The balcony furniture was sooo comfortable and we enjoyed breakfast there every morning. Internet access was fast. It must have been one of the quietest resort we've ever been in. We never heard a sound.

We LOVED the pool because it wasn't one big, open space, and we could have our own spot with an occasional passerby on the lazy river. Yes, the current was slooow but the kids still had a great time going around snorkeling and playing. We looked at the JW Marriott's lazy river and it was neater (jungle-y with waterfalls) but the kids weren't interested. They liked ours. I loved the pool towel bin and being able to get as many towels as we needed, and not having to bring any from the room.

The slides were awesome and I saw small kids and even an older couple enjoying them. The water was sooo nice every time. Both hot tubs were 104 degrees. AHHHH. Lifeguards on duty 'til 11:00 pm. Pool and island and bridges and fountains were just spectacular. Bar staff asked if we wanted anything. On Saturday at 12:30 they brought smoothie samples around... YUM. Bought cheap ice creams in Marketplace instead. Disappointed in the cabanas. They were just pushed up against a concrete walkway or something. Now the Ritz Carlton cabanas, however, were amazing. Flat screen TV, fridge, huge furniture, with a beautiful setting between the lake and pool.

EVERY employee we passed was super friendly and asked how we were enjoying the resort.

Hmmm, what else? Oh, the JW Marriott had a free shuttle to Sea World and Universal, which we took on Tuesday and Thursday.

Exercise room was fantastic. It had about 6 elliptical machines, 8 treadmills, terrific weight machines, free weights, weighted balls, etc. The ellipticals and treadmills were WAY high end and had wonderful TVs on them. Just walked through locker rooms... VERY nice, also with steam and sauna rooms.

My husband and I had dessert and coffee at the Citron at the JW. Two cups of coffee and a shared piece of chocolate cake was $20, but it was a nice experience and the cake was so rich and good.

Had a hard time narrowing down photos to post here. I'll try not to duplicate some of the others that are already shared of the pool and slides.

We all had a great time and everyone wants to return... soon!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank picturemama
Reviewed November 1, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed here in late October for a week on a II trade. We were in a LARGE 1 bedroom condo that was very nicely appointed. The decor was quite contemporary and the Kitchen we very nice with GE profile appliances. We felt very comfortable there and felt there was more than enough room for the two of us. I wil say that i was very impressed with the furnishings other than the couch, will for lack of a better term, sucked. All the other furniture was very comfortable and high quality. The Balconey was a good size and was well furnished and the kitchen was well stocked with plates, utencils, glasses and included a blender and a toaster. The Washer and dryer was nice as well if a little loud while in spin cycles. Some have complained of noise from the local roads, however we did not experience this as we had a condo that faced the lake and tennis courts. There was a dirt parking lot adjacent to our balconey, which made it dusty, but while we were there, they planted several 25ft bamboo trees which made a difference for both the dust and afternoon shade. We were entirely satisfied with the facilities and service. After reading some of the other reviews, especially those reviews by folks who have children, I can see their point. I dont feel this would be a great place to take kids... espcially if you have to cart around alot of kiddie equipment. The pool area was very nice and yes, the lazy river is LAZY, but I love it and found it relaxing. We did get good service from our server who was a girl from Hawaii, she was attentive and continually asked if we wanted anything else. Also, Derrick checked us in and he was incredibly helpful and offered to drive us anywhere we wanted in a golf cart. We choose to walk, but really felt like he would have been happy to drive us to the JW or the Ritz. The grounds are very pretty and walking for the most part was a joy. Walking your floaties over to the JW is worth it as well, the Lazy River pool there is a bit nices and has a more powerful current. We ate a several "on resort" resteraunts and found them all to be good, although we waited a LONG time for service at the Lounge Bar in the JW. But really, we enjoyed our stay and found the location of the resort convenient to all the parks (especially Sea World) with Disney about a 15 minute drive away. We also found it close enough to the outlets and grocery stores. If you want some very cheap GOOD roasted chicken, try Martin's BBQ which is about a 1/2 mile south of the Lake Shore South Entrance. It has the looks and feel of a fast food place, but the food (Puerto Rican BBQ) is VERY TASTY and cheap!!. We ate there several times for lunch and got plenty of food for about $15 dollars for the two of us. The service is very friendly as well. I know I have digressed, but overall, our experience was very positive and we would go back and stay again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank capt_don_ho
Reviewed October 29, 2010

This is a nice new Marriott Vacation Club that only has about 80 or so rooms completed. The plans are to build more units as they sell more timeshares. I will tell you first what I liked about the place. The rooms are nicely decorated with a nice modern kitchen. There is a nice large flat screen tv in the living room. Outside there is a balcony with a table and chairs and a chaise lounge. It is not screened in. The property is gorgeous. They really did a nice job with the landscaping. The pool is nice and has a waterslide for the kids. I even went down it and enjoyed it. There is a nice bar by the pool which serves food and drinks. Happy Hour is nightly from 4-7. The food is pretty good. Outside there are many cozy areas to sit with a drink or a book. They have nice couches and chairs placed everywhere. The staff was very nice. We never had an issue with housekeeping. The fitness room is large and has nice equipment. I like the location. The Ritz Carlton and the JW Marriott are within walking distance or it is a short drive. Now the negatives. Some of the rooms face the John Youngs Parkway which is heavily traveled and noisy. The rooms that face the parkway hear the traffic. Especially when you are outside on the balcony. When Marriott decides to start building more rooms, they will spread out in the direction of the noise so I am not sure if people will be happy with this. I know I wouldn't be. And I wouldn't buy a timeshare at this property for that reason. I liked the lazy river pool but many people complained that it was too slow for a lazy river. The staff at the pool needs to be a little more attentive. Many people complained that the service was very slow or non existent. I spent the day at the pool and never saw anyone empty the garbage in a nearby pail. One of the bathrooms out by the pool was never cleaned either all day. I also don't think that this is one of the best Marriott vacation clubs for kids. I heard people complain about how far away it is from Disney. This hotel has more of an adult feel to it. The service at the pool restaurant was good but very slow at times and the place wasn't even that crowded. This hotel was only opened in June so maybe they need to hire more staff? It is a beautiful property but I am not sure if I would go back considering that Marriott offers so many more Vacation Club options in the area.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank napagirl2
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Our room wasn't ready at the check in time specified. We gave them our cellphone number and took our kids to the changing rooms and went to the pool. Kids loved the dueling water slides but were a little disappointed in the larger pool, not quite as kid friendly nor exciting as the pool at Harbour Lakes where we'd stayed in 2009. The lazy river was definitely lazy. There should definitely have been a current in it, but there wasn't. Our impression was that the pool complex seemed oriented more to an adult clientele rather than to families.

More than an hour past the stated check in time, we still hadn't received the phone call saying our room was ready. At nearly six PM, husband who by that time was rather annoyed, went to the front desk and was assigned a room at the remote end of the complex, about as far from the pool as possible. With two small children, we knew this was going to be a problem for us and asked if another room were available any closer to the pool. We were told no. Fortunately a more pleasant and helpful young man had just come to work, heard our dilemma and found us another villa closer to the pool. He couldn't have been nicer. The young ladies previously at the desk could have taken a lesson on customer service from him.

Our two bedroom, two bath condo was very nicely equipped. Lovely view of the lake and the pool, attractive new furniture, granite countertops and upgraded appliances throughout. The first night the air conditioning unit whined all night long. The following day maintenance was thankfully able to fix it. It was a pleasant stay, but not a memorable one. This facility isn't yet completed. The restaurant closes down very early in the evenings and by week's end we thought we'd rather have stayed at Harbour Lakes.

Check out time is at an uncomfortable 10 AM. You receive a letter the night before departure warning you that you will be charged $70+ dollars if you leave the room any later than 10 AM. The next morning you receive a phone message to the same effect. They thank you for your stay and tell you to drop your trash in the trash bins on the bottom floor. Every other day, housekeeping removed the trash.

In the end, I would rather have chosen to stay at Harbour Lakes. The vibe wasn't at all as friendly as at Harbour Lakes and the kids were more welcome there. Also of note, this property is not as secured by a staffed gatehouse as it was at Harbour Lakes. I definitely felt our kids were safer there.

Adults will probably like this place if you are travelling without children. The rooms are new and nicely appointed and housekeeping was well done. Otherwise, pretty ordinary and the staff could use a few more training sessions.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Salt Water Diva
Reviewed October 19, 2010

We just returned from a stay at Lakeshore Reserve and as others have noted, the property is very nice. The one bedroom Villa is plenty big with a full kitchen and dining for 6. We were very pleased with the accomodations.

My rating is due to lack of locker room amenities and poor service from a couple of employees. All I will say is if you have check-in or check-out with Kristi, do yourself a favor and wait for another front desk agent. She is a downright snob and acts as if doing her job is royal pain in her fanny. In addition, pool service is non-existent. I'll save everyone from the drama, but Basil, the pool attendant, does not provide pool service. If you are willing to leave the pool and enter the Blossoms restaurant/bar, you can be sure to find him chatting with the bar tender. He'll take your order, but don't expect him to actually provide attentive service at the pool since he never comes out of Blossoms. Lastly, the locker room is lovely. But, they don't provide anything beyond a wash cloth and towel. So, be sure to bring soap and shampoo from your room.

I'm a Marriott gold member and have the opportunity to stay in everything from Fairfield Inns - Courtyards - Springhill Suites - Marriott's - JW Marriott's - and even the occasional Ritz Carlton during the course of a year. This place ranks very high on its physical plant (it should since it is only 4 months old), but near the bottom on service.

In closing, I would note that Dan the shuttle van driver, as well as the pool lifeguard provided good service. However, the GM should be ashamed that his primary customer facing employees do not exhibit Marriott's "Sprit to Serve" culture.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
13  Thank Stumblefoot
Reviewed October 19, 2010

We went to Lakeshore in July for the first time since it's grand opening earlier this year. It was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable vacations my family has ever taken. From the wonderful accomodations to the lazy river pool it really was great. The staff at the cabanas provided wonderful service as did the hotel staff as well. The prices in the onsite market place were very reasonable which was a welcome change! It was far enough away from the Disney attractions when we wanted to spend a lazy day at the pool but close enough to all the parks! Definitely would recommend Lakeshore for both families and couples.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family