“OK, but I wouldn't stay again...”

Allure Resort International Drive Orlando
Ranked #298 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Ballybofey, Donegal, Ireland
“OK, but I wouldn't stay again...”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

On first arrival to the hotel, it seemed a bit tired and dated. It was late and to be honest I was dreading seeing the room, especially as we were there for two weeks regardless, but I was pleasantly surprised. The room was well sized, had a nice flat screen TV, a fridge, microwave, a good sized bathroom, and working air con. Also it was very clean.
The house keeping staff did a good job over the course of the two weeks we were there - Rooms were cleaned daily, and bed linen changed every other day.

I had no problems with security, and felt happy to leave my kids android tablets on the dresser when we went out for the day. However the hotel does seem to operate an open door policy, and non residents could probably wander around freely if they wished.

Location wise the hotel isn't bad, although for me I wish we'd been a bit closer to Universal. International Drive is a big place, so be prepared to walk.

If I had one disappointing thing to say, it was about the bar... The Cargo Bay Bar was just not nice. The food was edible, and the drink was drinkable, but it just wasn't a nice place to spend a night. I also didn't like the bar staff, or the chef who sat at the bar waiting for customers to come in!!!

We actually went for a drink on one of the nights, and were told that we could come in, but they were hosting a private party later - We were ok with that, but we were then constantly watched by the staff, and just felt they wanted rid of us so they could get on with things...

It's a shame, because a good bar, with a friendly atmosphere, and nice food would make such a difference to the hotel.

The coffee bar served Starbucks Coffee, and the staff there were very friendly.

Didn't go to the breakfast buffet so cant comment on it.

I did however make the mistake of asking the male concierge for help - I then got the timeshare routine for about twenty minutes.

Thankfully, as I had pre-purchased my tickets I didn't have to go near him again!

The pool was another area that could do with some improving. It's nice and all, but again, it's unstaffed, and to be honest, anyone can walk in - And I mean anyone!!! Also there were lots of people drinking from bottles and cans, and I just didn't feel it was a safe environment for families -especially as it got a bit darker in the evenings - This is a shame, because my kids loved the pool. They were just too young to notice what we were noticing!!!

All in all the Radisson on International Drive was not the worst hotel I've stayed in, and if your a young couple looking for a base, it's probably ideally suited, but for a family who want a family friendly atmosphere you probably wont find it here.

Room Tip: Ask for room 2425 - It was clean.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gordon L
Guest Relations M, Guest Relations Manager at Allure Resort International Drive Orlando, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
On behalf of our team at Allure Resort International Drive we thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that we can exceed our guest expectations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I've seen reviews all over the spectrum about this hotel. My husband and I stayed there just last night (August 1, 2013) and had a wonderful stay. It is in a great location that is easy to access, it is within walking distance of multiple restaurants, and the staff is very friendly. The hotel is older, but there is a beautiful fountain at reception, and the rooms are very clean. The bed was wonderful- big fluffy duvet and lots of pillows, and there was a fridge and microwave in the room.

Room Tip: We were on the sixth floor- you can see forever from up there- very beautiful view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank globehoppr08
Thank you for your review. We thank you for staying with us.
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Emily and the entire front desk team were amazing. Our room was beautiful. Bathroom was large and well suited to our needs and the bed was really comfy. The Cargo Bay restaurant was clean and delicious. Service there was also great. There is even a Starbucks. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for review. On behalf of our entire team at Allure Resort International Drive we thank you for your business.
New Lenox
Reviewed July 30, 2013

They have a very nice pool next to a hot tub, but this place was literally falling apart. We visited in June and their air conditioning was broken for 3 days. The light fell out of the wall in the pool and was just hanging there by the wires. The jets in the hot tub were all broken. The beds were sleep comfort mattresses that didn't work, so my daughter wound up sleeping in hers at completely flat and mine was way too hard. Their "excercise room" is the YMCA next door, which is open Mon-Sat from 9:00 - 5:00, so the only way you can use it is if you take a day off from sightseeing. They don't even have a complimentary breakfast, opting instead for a $10/per person buffet (really affordable if you have 5 or 6 guests) and overpriced Starbucks coffee. We got our room through Priceline and were immediately hit with a $10/day "resort fee" that covered parking and internet access (yeah....they don't even have free internet access which you'd expect from pretty much every hotel).

The staff was very nice, although they neglected to tell me about the trolley which caused problems and wound up costing me a few bucks. They are located directly across from an I-Trolley stop, which is VERY convenient if you're going to the local attractions or even out to dinner on I-Drive.

I can't imagine why anyone would pay $70-$80 a night to stay here. We got a much cheaper hotel last year down the street on I-Drive that had free parking, free internet, free breakfast, and an exercise room open 8:00AM to 10:00PM. To call this a 3 1/2 or 4 star resort is stunningly ludicrous. It's at best a 2 1/2 star that should cost $55 a night. Do your best to avoid it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Hoazy S
Rhi_Manager, Guest Relations Manager at Allure Resort International Drive Orlando, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your review. We did have issues with our AC system in June that was caused by a power surge in the area. That was fixed immediately once we got the parts for the repairs. We have also redid all of our jets in our Spa and replaced them with all new jets so our guests can enjoy our spa. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that we can exceed our guest expectations.

Travelers are raving about these Orlando hotels

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We arrived at the Radisson and check in went smoothly. The room was lovely. This king size executive room was large and nicely furnished. There was a totally separate sitting area with a couch, coffee table, and another large flat screen tv. The bedroom area was large with plenty of drawer space, desk, microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker. This room had a sleep number bed. The bathroom was also large. (However no magnifying mirror or toilet seat lid.)
We were delighted. But...when it came time to go to sleep, the noise coming from next door was outrageous - loud voices and tv. This was because the walls are paper thin and the connecting door might as well have been nonexistent as a sound barrier. Tissue paper would have done the same job. I called the front desk after midnight and Kevin said he would send security. Fifteen minutes later, I called back. Kevin said he would send security. When security came and knocked on the door to that room, it sounded like he was in our room. This hotel needs new doors! The people quieted down some but the noise level still prevented sleep until two a.m. After that, we could hear the noise from the elevators which were one room and hallway away. Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, pause, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh. All night long.
The next night our room was changed. This room was also nice but had a different layout which wasn't quite as nice but it was quieter. This room had a regular bed with a not quite comfortable mattress. Also, there were more amenities - mints, bath poof, vanity kit. When I spoke to the Front Desk supervisor, she was well aware of the noise issue in the hotel. They must have heard this many times before. So, if you don't care about noise, this is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Room 2214 is fantastic but extremely noisy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I wasn't trying to be one of "those" readers and judge a hotel solely based off its reviews because it seems everyone has had a different experience.

First off, I want to say that all my issues were resolved very quickly. I even got an email from the hotel manager apologizing for my experience after I filled out a survey which I thought was very nice. So, I am just going to go with a pro and con list and not offer my opinion.

PROS-
Huge standard room
Older Hotel but very clean
Felt safe
Front Desk Staff were very friendly, courteous, efficient and even let us check in early.
YMCA swim center
Centrally located
Lots of families

CONS-
Room was missing a shower curtain upon arrival (I think it's bc they were trying to accommodate us and were rushing, so I don't want to hold this against them, the staff was very nice)
Sleep Number bed did not work so the night was restless
Don't buy your Universal Tickets at the hotel, they try to sell you on going to a timeshare demonstration and lure you with extra cheap ticket prices. The fella would not take no for an answer until we flat out said "NO" instead of the "oh, no thanks, not today".
The breakfast buffet is NOT FREE. No where on the website, upon check in, asking where breakfast was located, was I ever told you had to purchase breakfast until we got a bill. I can't even tell you if there was a continental breakfast somewhere which would make sense since there were families staying there and it would be much more cost efficient
We originally booked 3 nights and stayed for 1

Would I stay at this hotel again? Personally, no but that's from my own experience. It was a great value, great location with lots of restaurants nearby and very clean with friendly staff. It's just a hit or miss with the kind of room you get!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ojess
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope that we can exceed our guest expectations.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The International Drive location is great for getting the iRide trolley up to Universal Studios (you get off and walk across the road to get there). Unfortunately the hotel shuttle doesn't leave until later in the morning, so we took the Trolley to get to the park as early as possible (Good Friday weekend, that's essential!).

The rooms are very large, comfortable and well convenienced. There are washer / dryers on a couple of the floors - but a couple more would be great, as we did have to wait a little to get to use one, and then others were waiting to use it after us.

The staff were amazingly helpful - friendly, accommodating, with lots of knowledge about the local area - where to eat, how to get to the parks and shopping, etc. Nothing was ever a problem.

We didn't utilise much of the hotel's facilities (pool, etc) as we were at Universal Studios all day, every day - but the hotel was clean, comfortable and convenient to everything. Was also lovely to have the sort of convenience store downstairs to pick up last minute snacks when we'd forgotten things.

And - the restaurant out the front (the Brickhouse) is fantastic, and only just across the carpark from the front door.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. On behalf of our entire team at Radisson International Drive we thank you for your business.