“Finally!”

Characters in Flight
Ranked #85 of 442 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Have you ever had a dream of flying, where you are gently floating among the clouds? You will gently float over the Disney Springs area of the park, in the world’s largest tethered helium balloon. When considering your vacation itinerary and you are searching for things to do in Orlando get ready for the the most peaceful but exhilarating Adventure of your vacation, a ride on the Characters In Flight Balloon is a MUST Do Experience! as you gently ascend 400 feet in the air.
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

We've wanted to do this on previous visits. The balloon had always been tethered due to adverse weather, even when the skies were bright blue! Third time lucky and we managed to go up. Great views, and CM pointing out different things, you are free to walk around and up for about 10 minutes. It was $18 for adults. Glad I've done it, but don't think I'd do it again.

1  Thank Jedi-Jo
in 31 reviews
"tethered"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

I have been wanting to try this for the past few years, but could not see paying full price. So I jumped on a chance when I found a Groupon that was basically 2 for the price of one. $40 for my family of 4..had we paid full price my review may be different. At any rate, we went up at night before a movie at AMC and the view and lights were beautiful. Though I will admit none of us are particular fond of heights and we took it all in with our feet firmly planted with the exception of turning around a few time..lol! The pilot was very nice and and as many have said answers any questions you have. The experience including take off and landing seemed to only last about 10 minutes. With the swaying of the balloon that was plenty for us. We can now check it off our our " try it" list, but not something we will need to do again.

2  Thank msshak76
Reviewed April 17, 2014

My group tried on two separate days to get onto the Characters in Flight balloon ride at Downtown Disney, and both times the ride was closed "due to wind". One worker said that it is better to come in the mornings and that flights at night may or may not go up. They were willing to take people down to the balloon for photos.

1  Thank oaktoncc
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Characters in Flight at Downtown Disney
Sorry but too many $’s for too short a ride.

You definitely want to call before going if your objective is the balloon ride as operation is frequently shut down due to weather conditions. I had called several times Tuesday and Wednesday to ask if the ride was operational and each time I was told it might be up later in the day or evening. I called again about 7:00 PM and was told they were operating so we (wife and some friends from Kentucky) headed over. Parking was filling up fast and the whole of Downtown Disney was awash with people. Looked like Disney on a busy evening. We walked around a bit and then headed to the balloon. Arrived at 8:30 and got in a not too long of a line. I was hoping to get on the balloon at 9:00 but it wasn’t looking promising as the balloon was up and down fairly fast. Turns out the whole ride only last 10 minutes from takeoff to touchdown. I don’t know how many it can hold but this evening (possibly due to wind) they were only taking small groups of 6 or 8.

We couldn’t have timed it better as we lifted off at 9:01 PM (4/9/14) and were able to see a few minutes of the EPCOT fireworks. The balloon swayed a little in the wind and we were told to ‘hang on’; however, other than a little rocking it wasn’t rough. My wife was afraid she would get motion sick (almost refused to get on) but once on she did fine.

Other than being able to say ‘I rode the Characters In Flight Balloon’ the 10 minute (total time) flight cost too much for what it is. Yes, the ride is OK and the view is nice, however, it’s over before it begins.

1  Thank Richard E