“Worst shower ever!”

Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #32 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 10, 2010

We stayed at BLT in Oct 2010. We booked a suite, which was a nice layout for families with children. I agree with the previous poster that the pullout beds were simply made and not pushed back in each day, which was somewhat annoying. Our housekeeper was awful. The first day, I had purchased a magazine and left it on the bathroom floor and it was gone after the room was cleaned. When I complained, I was credited the cost of the magazine which was great, but the housekeeper didn't even touch the newspapers that my husband had left in there or straighten them up. Also, I noticed hair on the shower walls was never cleaned. I also saw leftover cereal on the counter one day. Towels were only replaced once daily and my husband left a wet towel on the back of a chair one day and it was still there after the room was cleaned.

The room was quiet, which is rare for hotels. So that was a huge plus. Didn't hear kids running or doors banging or loud, drunk people late at night. The worst part about this room was the shower. It was one of those rainfall overhead types. This water flow was so low that taking a shower was a painful experience. (And not to mention, who ever invented the overhead rainflow shower clearly didn't know anything about the anatomy of women). My hair is thick and washing the shampoo out of it took forever and a day. I never even wanted to get in the shower because it took so long.

Oh and there is no WiFi here and internet reception is slim to none.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Allisonfaye
Write a ReviewReviews (1,762)

Reviewed October 8, 2010

This hotel is so beautiful, and the absolute best location in Disney, especially with little kids! Monorail runs right through the contemporary, and we could walk to the Magic Kingdom entrance in about 10 minutes!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2010

My family and I (husband, 4 yr old, 2 yr old, mom, sister and brother-in-law) just returned from staying at the Bay Lake Tower for 6 nights this past week. We had a dedicated 2 bedroom villa with a MK View. First the positives - you can't beat the location. It is walking distance to the MK. We walked many times back and forth and it was not bad at all. The pool area was great. I didn't have any issues with the pool size as some other reviewers have stated. The slide was a blast and my little guy (will be 5 in November) was able to do it on his own. My little girl loved the little slide - granted she did .005 miles an hour going down, but she loved it! There is a fountain area for the kids as well that was lots of fun. I didn't have a chance to try the jacuzzi or the restaurant by the pool. The property itself is very nice. The lobby is smaller than I thought, but still very nice. The room was great. We had plenty of room for all of us to sleep comfortably and the 3rd bathroom was key. Would we have liked locks on the bathroom doors, sure, but it wasn't the end of the world for us. The kitchen was a good size and the living room was perfect for all of us. Now the negatives - we paid for MK view, but had no view of the castle from the master bedroom and had to make an effort to see it out of the living room window. The second bedroom was the only one with a great view. There were about a thousand dead bugs every morning as you walked out of the main lobby. Just gross. They were vacuuming all of the carcasses as we walked by, but we still walked on a bed of dead bugs. I know it's Florida, but c'mon. I agree with the previous post about that one section under the track - it was kind of gross. I ordered groceries from Gardengrocer.com and although it worked out great, some of the items were incorrect. Also, the room has a coffee maker, but no filters so you'll have to either order them or buy them over at the Contemporary. One last negative, the hotel check out service worked great until they forgot to give us all of the boarding passes. We were able to get it at the airport, but it was just annoying. I would definitely stay here again especially with the little ones.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank An_Honest_Reviewer
Reviewed September 22, 2010

This was our 4th stay at a Disney property and one of our best!!!! Certainly it's location stands out as #1. We arrived at the hotel AT 2:30 finding our room available, 10th floor bay view with easy access to the Contemporary via elevator to the 5th floor walkway.
Our one bedroom slept 5 people with ease. There were two full baths with a jacuzzi in the masterbedroom, balcony, flat screen in both living room and bedroom, everything you would expect in a vacation club property.

Since we are not vacation club members we were unable to access the 16th floor viewing area for the firework display.....not to worry, the view from the 5th floor walkway provided an unobstructed view of Cinderella's castle. This viewing area also afforded you the opportunity to watch to "Electric Light" parade on the Bay, however, this parade was BORING.

Recommendation - do not waste your money on a Castle view, depending on your room, you will will view the track to the monorail and/or parking lot until the Castle lights up!

I have two complaints regarding this property, 1- I do not believe housekeeping is efficient keeping track of "vacation club rooms" as opposed to "guests". Vacation club members have different guidelines as to the upkeep of the room and restocking of supplies. I was never able to get a firm answer from Concigiere whether the pullout couch and chairbed were supposed to be closed after the room was cleaned each day(as would be on a cruise). Instead the beds were made and left open, which I found to be somewhat inconvienant and made the room like unkempt. Secondly, this may seem like an silly complaint, except this is a Disney property. As you leave the Contemporary heading towards the walkway of the Bay Lake Tower there is a large gated unused landing that runs under the monorail. This part of the hotel had garbage, chairs, wet towels on the floor and dirty cigarette containers about. At no point during our 8 day stay was this area cleaned. Also, being a smoke free enviroment, guests would sit in the stairwell between both buildings smoking - a little unexpected for a Disney property.

The delux dinning plan is a must!

Reviewed September 10, 2010

My family stayed at Bay Lake Towers from Aug 22nd until September 1st 2010. We recently became DVC in 2009 and after our first trip it was money well spent. The hotel was everything you could ask for. I traveled with my wife, my son (6), and daughter (2). I have been traveling to disney every year for the last 25 years. This place was perfect for young children. Whether they were in the pool, riding speed boats, eating at character restaurants, or walking to the monorail things could not have worked out better. The room was exactly as advertised. It was clean, roomy, and beautiful. We stayed on the 14th floor and had a very nice view of the pool and bay lake. My parents and sister are also DVC at other resorts and i can say they are also outstanding places to stay but my famiy will be staying at Bay Lake Towers for years to come.

Reviewed September 9, 2010

Bay Lake Tower was pure magic. We stayed in a magic kingdom view and it kept us entertained every time we entered the room. It is hard to imagine staying at another resort. If you've ever waited for a bus at the mk you'd really appreciate the value of being able to walk back to your room.

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We were a family of 9, with 6 adults, two 9 yr olds and one 5 yr old. We had a 2 bdrm suite and did not feel cramped at all. With 3 bathrooms, each individual family had their own bathroom. The rooms were very clean as was the entire hotel. the views magnificent and the ability to walk into the Magic Kingdom couldn't be beat. Actually, walking int MK was faster than taking the monorail because you had to make numerous stops before getting to the MK. Coming home we took the monorail because the Contemporary was the first stop. We had a bay lake view but were able to watch the fireworks from the elevator bank on our floor. The walkway was being refurbished during our stay , I'm sure that would be another great spot to watch the fireworks. We all love Disney and would stay at BLT again.

1  Thank NjLuv2trvl