“We love the Contemporary!”

Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
Ranked #41 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Perfect for everyone who hates to ride the bus. The contemporary is connected to the monorail so all you have to do is hop on and ride your way around the park. There are still a few places you would need a bus for but not many.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lorrie P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,787)

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We are Vacation Club members and were lucky enough to stay here in a one bed accommodation standard view in August.The room was fab as was the entire hotel. You can walk to the Magic Kingdom in 5 mins Many evenings we popped to the MK for a few late rides on Thunder Mountain ( my Grandsons favourite ride ) it was awesome to be able to do that. We have stayed at most hotels in Disney over the years and this is all our favourite. Last year we were in a studio and I have to say although that was great if you can stretch to a one bed its sooooooooooooooo worth it !!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank trip252
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I booked a family vacation in the 2 bedroom villa (lake view) for 7 days. I checked in online a week prior to my trip and requested a room near the sky bridge. Upon check in my request was granted and had NO issues with the check-in process. The 2 bedroom villa had plenty of room for my family (traveling with 5 adults and 3 children). Having 3 bathrooms and a laundry room was a plus!

Travelling with 3 small children the sky bridge location was very perfect for us. It was a quick walk to the contemporary. I saw reviews prior to booking that mentioned the walk to the Contemporary was a far BUT it was so close!

We could not see the fireworks from our room but had a great view from the sky bridge.

The monorail is priceless. The monorail travels to Magic Kingdom and Epcot (with a stop at the TTC station for Epcot) and after taking the bus to Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios you really appreciate the monorail in the hotel. With small children the strollers can stay open on the monorail and I never had to wait more than a few minutes to catch the monorail.

I was looking at other hotels prior to booking this location and I am happy I chose Bay Lake. I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend this location.

Room Tip: Rooms near the skybridge are a quick walk to the Contemporary
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Enjoy staying at Bay Lake Towers. This is our 2nd time there, last time was in a 2 bedroom lake view, this time was studio standard view, which was a view of the inner court yard. The location is perfect for a short walk over to the Magic Kingdom or take the monorail. Unfortunately the rooms are not wearing very well for a resort that is only a few years old. We did find the studio room this time smaller than those over at the other resorts (AKV, BWV). Love the fact you can watch fireworks from the bridge if you do not have a Theme Park View room.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SoCal6263
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My first trip to Bay Lake Tower happened about a year after it opened. I wasn't a DVC member at the time, but my wife and I were there on our honeymoon. The reason I bring up this long ago trip is because even then, at only a year old, this hotel exhibited a problem which persists to my most recent trip that I returned from two days ago in Oct 2013: Quality.

The decor is really right up my alley. A very nice modern theme with really neat artwork adorning the walls. Far superior to much of the other DVC offerings that I've looked at or contemplated staying at. So far, the only one I didn't mind was AKV. That's for another review, though.

The problem here is that the quality of materials used on the rooms seems to be subpar or not well thought out. Three years ago (one year after opening), we stayed in two rooms on the trip. One of the rooms was in reasonable condition with the exception of an odd musty smell and some strange HVAC issue. The other room didn't have the HVAC issue but instead had chipped 'wood' (think IKEA laminate) and bad paint.

Fast forward three years. This most recent trip we stayed in a studio for a week and a two-bedroom for another week. The studio had the same chipped wood that someone tried to cover in with what appeared to be black marker. They didn't do a good job and also missed some. There was an odd sheen of paint around the bathroom fan as well. Oh, and the first toaster didn't work. The two bedroom had some issues as well. The wood was in better condition but there was a broken sliding door, an unusually loud bathroom fan, two ripped pillows on the couches/chairs, and frayed edging on the carpet near the kitchen tile. Let's put this in perspective a little... a cash reservation for that room was $880 a night. $880 and we can't even have a couch without a ripped pillow or a working bathroom door. Oh, minor issue but still should be said.. the two-bedroom didn't have a pack 'n play. We called and asked for one and never got it so we brought up our own from the car.

I'm only listing my first and most recent experiences. We've had several others like that. Now.. you might ask yourself: "Why in the world does he keep staying there if these issues persist?" Smart thinking. Well the answer is two fold. First, my wife wants to because of .. Second, the location. This is the BEST location in WDWR for a hotel. You can walk to MK in < 10 minutes. You can see the fireworks from many rooms and the member lounge. You can walk to the monorail in a completely covered environment. Its the first on its bus route :) Keeping it 'real', a lake view studio costs somewhere around $440/night. The rooms are some of the smallest on property and you could find some at chains (holiday inn, etc) that are decorated as nicely and are likely larger that cost $100/night. BUT, they don't have this location. You're paying 4x as much because of where it is. Don't fool yourself.

Negativity aside, the views are great. This was our first time in a two-bedroom and it happened to be on the 16th floor. The 16th floor is where the member lounge is located. You can go up there for drinks/appetizers after 6pm and watch the fireworks. Normally you need to have a cast member let you up there but if you have a room on the floor all you need is your room key to get you up to the 16th. That was a HUGE benefit. I consider that the best place outside of the park to view the fireworks. I really do enjoy the (aging) monorail system's usefulness. Its extremely worn - moreso than the hotel, but it's hard to beat for getting around.

Room Tip: Higher floor the better for us. Try near the skyway side. Even numbered rooms face the outside of th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank datreic
Reviewed September 30, 2013

this is our favorite resort to stay at, we are a family of 5 and love the location to everythimg from this location, has a roof top bar and great for viewing fire works, monorail location and food location right next door via the sky bridge to the Contemporary

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I submitted a detailed review of Bay Lake in May, which you can click on my profile to locate. I did just want to give a quick tip about the rooms as I was there this past weekend. The 1 and 2-bedroom villas all have laundry facilities, but they differ based on room location. Bay Lake is shaped like a horseshoe in a way, with the odd-numbered rooms being on the interior of the horseshoe, even-numbered rooms on the outside of the horseshoe. Even numbers face Grand Floridian and the Magic Kingdom; odd face Bay Lake and the pool. The odd-numbered rooms, inner horseshoe, have full laundry rooms and a smaller living room. Even numbered rooms seem to have a larger living room, but the stacked washer/dryer is in a closet instead of a dedicated room. If you have people sleeping in the living room, you might want to request an even-numbered room, as the living room is slightly larger. Bay Lake is a wonderful property and any room is fabulous no matter what the size, but just wanted to share this info.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family