“excels in every area, travel agent”

Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
Ranked #31 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 16, 2006

I am a Travel Agent and just returned from the Hyatt Grand Cypress. I have to say that it excelled in all areas. When I travel, I
pay close attention to details. The service was excellant. The rooms were beautiful! I look for stains, dirt, dust, broken things, etc. The beds had white covers and they were immaculate. Not 1 spot! The carpets were clean, the bathroom was clean.
The restaurants were a bit pricy, we drove to other restaurants in the area. The resort fee is well worth it. There is alot to do on the property. They have different types of boats, bikes, and golf. Bring your own rafts and balls for the pool, they are very pricy to purchase at the hotel. You also have to rent the innertubes for $5. They have a game room. There is a Walmart and Walgreens down the street if you need to buy beer, treats or soda for the room. If you are a budget traveler, be careful, things cost good amounts here. If it is affordable for you, I highly suggest it. The grounds are beautiful. If your looking for good cheap deals, this may not be the place for you. remember- you get what you pay for.
The shuttle to Sea World had only 2 departure times and 1 pick up time at the end of the day. I think they should modify this and have 2 pick up times, 4:30pm and 6:20pm. We were done early and were stuck at the park until 6:35pm.
Use the self-parking at the hotel. It is worth it.
The resort grounds are very expansive. Be prepared to do some walking.
This is a wonderful hotel, they do everything they could to make sure your stay was pleasant. They do have conventions going on often. This is an upper class hotel, and it is beautiful.
I hope this gave you a feel for the type of hotel we are talking about here. I can't comment on the Disney shuttle, we didn't use it this time.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
19  Thank travelagent31
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress

Reviewed November 4, 2006

My Fiance and I just returned from a 4 day stay at the Hyatt Grand Cypress. Overall our stay was great and we had a fantastic time. The hotel grounds are beautiful with long jogging trails, a pond, very nice pool area etc. We did play golf, and it was expensive, but worth it to us. (We love to golf). The courses are beautiful and the clubhouse and staff at the course are very nice and go the extra mile. For example, when we were leaving after our first round, the valet offered to store our clubs overnight for us so we wouldn't have to carry them back and forth for our round tomorrow. When we showed up the next morning, they were on the cart waiting for us. They offer a free shuttle to and from the course whenever you need it. The gym was very nice- redone within the last year. I had a massage and it was wonderful. Locker rooms are nice as well with everything you'd need. The food is expensive, but we come from Boston where everything is expensive, so we didn't notice it that much. We had a very nice meal at Hemmingways.

My small complaints include:
Disney Shuttle: They do offer a shuttle to the parks but the times aren't fantastic and there's no shuttle to downtown disney area, which is very close and has all of the nighttime entertainment (lots of restaurants/ bars/ clubs).

Room Serivce: I noticed that it took them forever to come through the hallways and pick up food left in the hall after guests ordered room service. I saw people's dinners still in the hall at noon the next day.

Cleaning: The cleaning staff did a good job, but came very late in the day. And their towel carts are left in the hallway all day long. I just thought at such a nice hotel, they'd go the extra step to keep in in the closet unless the cleaning staff was actually using them.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Member730
Reviewed November 1, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon in October 2006 and thought this hotel was fantastic. I had read some of the reviews and was a little concerned about staying at the hotel. The staff were extremely friendly from the minute we arrived. We had asked for a quiet room on a low floor and received a perfect room with views out over the pool area from where we could view the fireworks at Epcot every evening. Our room, though decorated very "floral" in decoration was spacious and spotlessly clean. The grounds and fantastic with great pools and activities. The concierge were extremely helpful with directions, restaurants recommendations etc. The hotel was very peaceful and calm, even when they were busy with conferences.

The hotel is in a great quiet location in Lake Buena Vista, yet just a short distance from many restaurants at palm parkway.

We really could not find fault with this hotel, from the staff, rooms, service, location, food - everything was perfect. We will definitely be returning to this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank shins
Reviewed October 27, 2006

Well I'm not going to waffle on!! So I will keep it as short as possible.

This hotel was fantastic, the facilities and staff are superb. If you don't plan on living & queueing in the parks for your entire holiday and want some hotel entertainment then this is for you. There is so many activities for both adults and kids, you won't be disappointed. Explore the acres of grounds on the bikes, it is well worth it.

On the downside, avoid the very expensive, over rated Hemingways restaurant, not worth it, they charge ridiculous amounts for a mouthful of wine!!! Poor service also, nothing to write home about.

Also beware of the cave pool bar, they automatically add gratuity to the tab when you order, cheeky!! Drinks are expensive.

Would definately recommend this hotel, best we have stayed in so far, we have been to Orlando many times.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
9  Thank JKHL
Reviewed October 16, 2006

Had a great time at the Hyatt Grand Cypress. I will have to say, I have stayed in many hotels, both higher end, and middle of the road, and have never experienced such a friendly staff. Everyone from the valet, to the bellhop, to the front desk, to the restaurant workers were so friendly, and welcoming, and it didn't seem forced. It was just a happy place to be. They had horse back riding (had to be 10 to do the trail rides, but younger for pony rides), bike riding, paddle boats, 2 pools, multiple hot tubs, a rickety bridge that crosses over one of the pools, and a large waterslide in one pool and a smaller slide in the other pool. They had really comfy lounge chairs, and great poolside service. They had a game room and great fitness center. they had a beach area and they had a fire pit that from 7 -9 pm they had a fire going and you can make smores. (you can purchase a kit that has 4 sticks, a large pack of marshmellows, choclate bars, and graham crackers for $11 from the main store in there - if they are closed when you are ready to buy, you can go to the front desk and they will have room service deliver it to you out at the fire pit). I had read on here how small the rooms were, but I didn't find them all that small. They were not oversized but a pretty average size. The Cascade restaurant is where we ate breakfast was okay, and reasonably priced for a resort. Would definately stay there again.

Stayed: September 2006
8  Thank momofme
Reviewed October 14, 2006

My friend and I spent a recent weekend at the Hyatt Grand Cypress. The first impression was that the grounds are stunning, beautifully landscaped and, true to the property's name, shaded by large, moss-draped cypress trees. The spacious grounds give you the feeling of being far removed from the hustle and commercialism of the theme parks, a welcome feeling after a day of Universal/IOA. The enormous atrium lobby is filled with beautiful sculpture, tropical foliage, sparkling tile and glass. Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly and presented with complimentary champagne. Unfortunately, and this is my sole complaint about the property, the interior decor of the hotel room was not as impressive. With green and white flowered wallpaper, dark green drapes and carpet, and a generally dated appearance, the decor does not appear to have been updated since the mid-1980s. Oh well. The bathroom was sparkling and the spa-style toiletries were great, and the bed was inviting. Still, the property really shines when you consider its outdoor amenities, the lagoon pools with amazing natural-looking stone grottoes and waterfalls, and the lake with boats available for guests. We really enjoyed a few hours at the pool after a long day of theme parks. I was impressed with the staff, all very helpful and accomodating, especially our favorite bartender - Toue (sp?) , whose great attitude and bartending skills definitely made our Saturday afternoon/evening! Buffet breakfast was on the expensive side, as noted in previous reviews, but tasty (especially the made to order pancakes and waffles with fresh fruit), and the lovely setting is worth the price.

In closing, I found the HGH to exceed expectations. This is absolutely one of the most fantastic properties I have visited. In a sea of otherwise mundane commercial hotels in Orlando, the HGH feels secluded and special.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank JML345
Reviewed October 11, 2006

My wife, her daughter Samantha and I just returned from 4 nights at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cyress. We selected this property because it appeared from its website that the pool would be all that Samantha could hope for. It was.

There are two pools. The larger pool is heated and the smaller is not. On an overcast day, the unheated pool wasn't comfortable (for me) for extended immersion or hanging out in the water by the side and reading but that didn't significantly impact our time there. On the sunny days, the unheated pool was fine, a delight. The temperature never impacted Sam's enjoyment of the slides. Temperatures were posted as 75 for the unheated pool and 84 for the heated pool but Samantha discovered an inpool thermometer which indicated the unheated pool was 80. There are three hot tubs adjacent to the unheated pool which can be used to offset the effect of its temperature, the largest of which has a waterfall which can be used to effect a kind of hot water massage of the neck like a shower massage.

We, too, found the casual food on-site to be less than satisfying. It is pricey, yes, but more importantly, it is simply uninspired, make do kind of stuff. In light of the abundant casual dining places just off property (the Hyatt sits a 1/2 block from the entry to Disney which I suspect is why there is more than a dozen restaurant choices right there) this was not a problem. We did not try the on-site fine dining. Drinks were pricey and the sports bar, despite having umpteen televisions had the sound off and jazz on during the recent Eagles/Cowboys game. The lobby bar had a big flat screen with volume and wasabi soy nuts, a good show.

We found the staff to be universally interested in whether or not we were enjoying ourselves. The concierge was perfect. We accepted their recommendation of Amura for Sushi and then had three meals there.

A mistake in charges for services at the pool was handled promptly and professionally.

We paid something on the order of $250 a night for a pool view room on the 16th floor as part of a program that gave the last night free. At that price, there is value here (for us). We had a king room with a rollaway for Sam. Our bed was among the most comfortable hotel beds we'd ever experienced and Sam registered no complaints. The rollaway looked as though it was significantly more comfortable than any pull out I've seen.

I would recommend this facility to anyone for whom the price was not prohibitive.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family