“Back again . . . reno coming along”

Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
Ranked #31 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 8, 2009

Stayed there for a night recently. The new style of the rooms is growing on me. Other than that, see my earlier review of this place for more details. One thing I noticed since the last time we were there is that they ripped a lot of the large tropical foliage out of the atrium lobby. That was one of things that made the lobby great. Otherwise no other changes. It'll be interesting to see if they update the lobby bar/lounge - it badly needs it. Ate at Hemingways, and it was good as usual - never had a bad meal there. Pool is always great and the kids (and I) had a great time at the slides. Pool bar closed at 4pm this time. I can understand cutting back on staff during tough economic times, but you don't have to sell too many drinks to justify keeping one person at the bar - especially when there were plenty of thirsty people still out at the pool. This is a service thing that annoys me at a resort this size.

Anyway, as long as you play less than $200/nt for this place it's still one the best deals in Orlando for what you get.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank tmsreise
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress

Reviewed November 7, 2009

stayed three nights here and had no real complaints. got a great stay two nights get the third free and breakfast every morning. most of the staff was really friendly and helpful. the hotel is being renovated and the work is done during the day. not a problem unless thats when you want to sleep. rooms were updated. i did not like only have a shower with the raindrop type overhead fixture and the water never quite got hot. it was and ok hotel. would not stay for full price.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2009

We have been visiting this hotel for the past twenty years, sometimes twice a year and have sadly seen this hotel go downhill and I am afraid to say we will not be staying there again. Our recent stay was terrible, firstly when we checked in we were hit with the resort fee $18 per night, we asked what this was for and what it included and was told it was for the use of the Gym, Bicycles, Pedalos, Etc. We explained that we would not be using any of these things and therefore would not be paying, after a lengthy discussion with the lady at the reception she agreed to waive the fee, however the fee with a reduced rate appeared on the account review on the T.V. We then spoke to the Manager who agreed to drop the fee, but spoke to me in a very patronising manner.
Next we had a garden view room on the eight floor, it overlooked the front of the Hotel, nice gardens but also a view of the car park, but worst of all the huge air con building, the noise it emitted was unbearable!!! My husband went to the reception at 4am. to complain. We chainged rooms the next day to a room on the 14th floor, it was a bit better, the balcony door did not fit properly and had to fill the gaps with newspaperto stop the whisteling sound of air, but we still had to buy ear plugs, the noise was just unbearable. It is the first time we could not wait for the holiday to end.
I fully understand that the Hotel has to make money but the constant corporate functions being held in the walkways from the car parks is very intrusive, it`s difficult to get a path through the people at times, could they not hold these functions in the massive rooms set aside for such things! I dont suppose they consider how intimidating it is everytime you return to the Hotel.
Also the newly refurbished rooms seem quite tacky and have lost the luxury feel. I have issues with the shower door, the water pours out onto the floor. Also the sliding closet/bathroom door is a stupid idea (somebody will be injured).
To sum up, this Hotel is constantly costcutting E.G. you used to get complmentary coffee and orange juice in the mornings on the 9th floor, there used to be a candy dish on the table in your room toped up each day, there was a pianist playing a grand piano in the lobby all day, etc. etc. In fact with all the hidden charges the Hotel has become a rip off.
With regret I could not recommend this Hotel any more.
I won`t even talk about the lack of reasonably priced places to eat in this hotel. It has an empty feeling, it used to be so vibrant and and enjoyable but not anymore, sadly.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KEILEN
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We went to for a family trip with my parents who had been stationed in Europe for three years. It was three adults ranging from 26-55 and one three year old. We chose this hotel for its many amenities, close to restaurants and its shuttle to Disney world.

We arrived and this hotel is absolutely beautiful. It feels so tropical and soothing. They have live parrots in the lobby, which are so beautiful. They have fountains in the lobby. They have so many pools outside. They have pools and hot tubs for adults only, then they have pools for the families which include water slides. We used the pool service to order adult drinks which was great. We loved what the hotel had to offer that we ended up not going to one of the parks that day and just stay at the hotel. We would definetly use this hotel again. At the time our rooms were spacious and clean but very 80's. It reminded me of the house from Golden Girls. Not sure if they have updated the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Just got back from the Hyatt and it was lovely. The newly redecorated rooms are nice ,but small when travleling with a child or two. We had great mealsat the hotel and were great. The breakfast is way too exspensive 100.00 for three adults and one child. The pool was awsome and the staff was very warm and welcoming. We got a great rate when we checked in.
All in all a great time was had by all..

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank gogomommd
Reviewed October 17, 2009

Stayed here (sadly just for one night) on a business trip. The hotel has many beautiful sculptures, quilts, and other pieces of art. The pools are some of the best I've seen -- gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I tried out the gym, but had no time for a swim, though I hope to come back and spend some time here relaxing and trying the hotel's many restaurants. Room service (ordered twice) was on time. The food was tasty (try the crabcake sandwich and the avocado & tomato salad) and the delivery people were friendly.
Request a renovated room. Mine was great. Nor large, but beautifully decorated and modern. The bed linens were high quality and the bed was very comfortable.
The bathroom, again, was very modern (just as I like) and had everything I needed, though, again, it was not big. There was a mini fridge (I did not use it, but probably would have had I stayed longer).
Everyone was friendly and helpful. My only complaint is that there is construction going on in the hotel, so at times it is noisy.
I enjoyed my stay and would like to come back.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress in orlando for a 3-night get away for our tenth anniversary. We were thrilled with all there was to do (and not do a.k.a. relax) right at the resort. Whatever we felt like doing, relaxing by the pool, working out, going for a nature walk, golfing, kayaking and surrey bike riding...all right there! The views from our balcony were spectacular! We could see the fireworks at EPCOT and the lights from Downtown Disney at night. They even have a firepit which we enjoyed on a cool night. A perfect way to end a romantic night!

Everything was truly wonderful; clean rooms, lovely atrium lobby, tropical grounds, great pool, beautiful lake and in a terrific location, minutes to all the Disney parks and International Drive.

ENJOY!