“Good hotel if you have kids”

Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
Ranked #29 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed July 31, 2013

First off I would recommend this hotel only if you have children. The hotel is pretty much geared towards children as there are many children’s activities and games around the pool. The pool is also quite noisy and has a water slide so not great if you are an adult without kids wanting to relax around the pool. However if you do have children the pool area will be perfect for you. Also there were lots of children running up down floors in the lifts playing games which was really annoying especially if you were trying to use the lifts.

Good things about this hotel:

1. Went to the restaurant Cascade American restaurant for sushi twice and it was excellent. The staff were also really nice and want to give a special mention to Tasha. Tasha was super friendly and was always asking us how our day was. She also sent up a bottle of water and fruit plate to our room after our visit. This was such a nice touch and really thoughtful

2. The location is good. About 15 mins to Disney and 30 to universal. Could also walk to cheaper restaurants such as olive garden, ihop, unos, pizza hut etc and a supermarket.

3. Free tea and coffee maker in room (although please note my teabags were never replaced except if I phoned down to the lobby so I eventually just bought my own because it was easier).

4. Rooms and bathroom are big and spacious.

5. There are shuttles to universal, Disney, SeaWorld and the outlets (bad point is there is only one shuttle running in the morning to universal/SeaWorld and one at night. The night shuttle leaves at 6pm which is 3hours before the park closes! The Disney shuttles are more frequent but only go to magic kingdom. From magic kingdom you are supposed to get shuttles to the other park.)

6. Good gym

Bad points.

1. I found the cleaning to be the worst thing about this hotel. On arrival we found that our room had obviously not been cleaned very well as our fridge had not been emptied and was full of old food the people before had left. Throughout our stay the desktops and bathroom surfaces were always covered in dust even though the room had supposedly been cleaned. It seems the cleaning staff just come in and make your bed up, change towels and empty bins. No hoovering or dusting whatsoever.

2. Make sure you don't get a room near the lifts or the ice machine as it is so noisy.

3. As previously mentioned there are shuttles but they are not very frequent. Also since there is only one shuttle going to both SeaWorld and universal it can get quite crowded so I would advise you to get there early.

4. Staff were not particularly friendly apart from Tasha at cascade and the bell man and guys outside who got you taxis. People at front desk seemed like they couldn't be bothered and staff in palm cafe were quite rude.

5. One small rather petty complaint is that I found the bathroom door really annoying. It is a slide door which is slightly see through and it doesn't quite touch the other side of the wall meaning there is little privacy in the bathroom. Also the bathroom and wardrobe share the same door which is weird.

Overall I would return to this hotel in the future when I have children and if they sort out their cleaning. For now I think I will stick to the Waldorf Astoria which is catered more for adults.

Room Tip: High up rooms away from elevator and ice makers.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank emhams
Write a ReviewReviews (5,883)

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We were on a family vacation to Florida when we stayed at this hotel. The staff was helpful and attentive. We used the shuttle service to Disney one day but then opted to take our car so we could return to the hotel when we chose. The shuttle service was limited, which would be fine if you planned on spending the entire day at an attraction. There were many things to do at the hotel and we spent a day relaxing there and doing those activities.

Room Tip: We didn't pay extra for a room with a Disney fireworks view. We were on the 10th floor and just...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lori S
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Everything was great at this hotel, except for the way it required so much time to walk to everything. There is only 1 bank of elevators for all the hotel rooms, and even the pool is 5 minutes away from anything.
The linen, size of the bathroom and cleanliness of the room was a disappointment...but people don't stay here to enjoy their rooms.
Housekeeping was a problem...they did not clean the room until after 6:30, and that was after I'd called and requested it 3 times...and was promised each time that someone was on their way.
The food and service and attitude of the employees were truly exceptional.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank betty b
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We got the Hyatt for an excellent rate and decided to spend our vacation there. What a great decision!
This hotel has the very best service you will find. From the friendly valet parking staff, to the check in staff to the cleaning staff.
Even the room service attendant was extra friendly and serviceable.
The rooms are clean, modern and have every amenity one could want/need.

The food (room service is excellent) and the pools fantastic. We didn't even have to visit a waterpark as the enormous pools and waterslide kept our son happy.
The location is great, next to many restaurants and very near the entrance to Disney.

We are already planning a next visit to Orlando, not for Disney but for the Hyatt Regency GC!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Myrouck
HeeBee4, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Thank you for letting the Trip Advisor community know that each and every staff member you encountered was extra friendly. We appreciate your comments and look forward to being of service to you and your family once again. We hope that you will recommend us to your family and friends.

Steven M Ballot
Guest Relations
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
Steven.Ballot@Hyatt.com

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Don t know exactly why- may be it s not crouded and full of tourists- I love to stay here. Coral Gables is a place I woul like to live and Hyatt has no complains at al. it s a perfect place in a perfec city.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank BlancaBrasil
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is a very nice hotel between the staff and the accommodations. Keep in mind this is a resort...even if the base rate is decent, you still have a $20+ resort fee and resort pricing food. My kids and I went to the Palm Café, and I spend about $35 for a 16" pizza and a few drinks. The breakfast buffet for 2 adults and 2 kids was about $70, the food was fresh and tasty but we did not eat $70 worth of food. The grounds are beautiful and the staff were friendly and attentive. I called housekeeping for some extra towels. Not only did I get them in about 10 minutes but I received a follow up call from housekeeping 10 minutes later, validating that I did get what I needed. The beds are all double or king in this hotel and were decent. The room was clean and ready when I arrived. The hotels on the higher floors have a great view of Lake Buena Vista.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RBabe
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Attended a business meeting here. I have to say the service was exceptional and the food was very good. Everyone I interacted with was friendly and helpful. The pool was lovely and the rooms very spacious.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business