“Return visit”

Ranked #25 of 335 Hotels in Orlando
Buckinghamshire
“Return visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times over the years with children and thought we would give it a try as a couple this time. Since our last trip there has been a big renovation and the rooms are now modern and spacious. Lovely big bathroom but I did miss a bath tub. When we arrived we were given a room on the 18th floor that was unbelievably noisy due to some race track noise that travelled up to the 18th floor and only stopped when the ride stopped at 10.00pm. We were moved with no trouble at all to a quiet room the next day.
We felt that there was a real lack of choice for evening eating, we used to really enjoy the White Horse restaurant and can't understand why this is now just a bar.
The pool area is lovely and only really busy at weekends, we had no problem finding chairs or shade. We also loved the bikes. I think on balance it is worh the extra room costs except for the parking which is a bit steep, but we were warned about this so fair enough.
The best thing about this hotel is the wonderful staff, many of whom have been at the hotel for many years. In paritcular the breakfast staff are just fabulous, they create a fantastic, friendly and professional atmosphere. We were sorry to say goodbye - a particular mention to JP, Abe and Michael - genuinely lovely people.
We felt that this hotel was still undergoing a transformation and it might be interesting to return in a couple of years to see how it all turns out.

1 Thank SueBuckinghamshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (951)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Where to begin.....my partner and I stayed here in May 2013. Immediately upon entering, the stresses and strains of 12 hour trip just fell away. The ambiance of this hotel is something to truly behold, the lush greenery, the open space magnificence, the oriental tranquility. Hyatt have really got it right in providing that 'outside in'' feel. We breezed through check in and before we knew it were up on the 10th floor. Loving the glass lifts (close your eyes if you are afraid of heights!)

Our room was spacious, contemporary and had a stunning lake view. My initial disappointment of not having a 'fireworks view' room soon went as, just along the corridor, everyone has the chance to observe the fireworks from Epcot and Magic Kingdom.

I have read lots of negative comments about the resort fee. Let me tell you, IT IS WORTH EVERY SINGLE PENNY! We took advantage of almost everything on offer, daily bike rides, peddle boats across the lake and we would have done the rock climbing if I wasn't so tired every day from the miles of walking through the Disney parks!

And as for the pool.....it truly, truly, takes your breath away. I have never seen a pool so enormous. And when you are in Orlando late May, the 'coldness' of the big pool that so many people have comments on was a welcome relief from the blistering heat! I could have stayed around the pool for the full 2 weeks, truly magnificent. I can't understand why anybody would knock it. We have stayed in many Orlando hotels, nothing compares when it comes to the outdoor environment.

The staff were fantastic, from the Cascades breakfast team to the Starbuck's servers. The smiles and service were 'natural', not 'forced', and why wouldn't somebody be happy working in this amazing resort.

Such was our experience that we came straight back to the UK and booked up for next year. 12th May 2014, here we come again!

Thank you Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, you know how to take care of your guests and go above and beyond with everything you do - you deserve far more than five out of five!

Room Tip: Try the 'quite' zones around the pool area and make sure you do the Bike Trails (they are so...
2 Thank Shaun M
HeeBee4, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your five point review and letting the Trip Advisor community know that our resort offers our guests a great value when taking advantage of all that we have to offer. We also appreciate you noting our great staff. We love what we do - and it shows ! We look forward to having you back next year and hope that you make it a tradition and continue to visit our resort.

Bearsden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress with my friends and my wife for 14 nights in May 2013. Overall our stay was great. Wonderful resort with excellent facilities and perfectly located within a short distance of Disney and the I4 therefore all of Orlando’s other attractions.
I have read a few reviews complaining about the resorts amenities tax which comes in at around $24 a day. Our travel agent hadn’t warned us about this tax and we felt slightly aggrieved having found out during reading reviews on TripAdvisor. Having said that this issue should be with your travel agent whose job it is to give an the full facts and costings of staying at specific resort. Having stayed at the hotel for 14 nights and used the vast array of services and facilities included in the tax I would have no cause for complaint and would happily return to the resort next year and be happy to pay the resort fee which I feel is worth the money and is ultimately a hidden cost from the travel agent.

We arrived relatively late in the evening and made use of the valet parking, which offered fast and friendly service but I feel at $23(approx.) plus tips on both journey’s somewhat expensive for tourists staying at the resort for extended periods of time. The rest of the trip we largely made use of the resort self-parking which was more reasonable at $13 per day (still more than I think you should pay if staying at a resort for 14 nights, there should be a discount relative to length of stay, but the price is in line with other resorts I have stayed previously). The self-parking a s short largely indoor walk from the rear of the property.

The check-in process was very friendly and efficient. We were kindly shown to our room by an incredibly friendly older gentleman who had worked at the resort for 20odd years as part of the bell hop team. He was very knowledge about the resort and his enthusiasm was infectious. Annoying writing this retrospectively I cannot remember his name, but he is a credit to the resort. We stayed in room 1659 which offered fantastic views of Downtown Disney, Hollywood Studios, Epcot, Magic Kingdom and the resorts pools and lakes etc. We were able to lie in bed on our first evening and watch the various Disney firework displays after a long day travelling.
The room itself was of a nice size, large bed, large walk in shower, small cooler, tea/coffee making facilities, iron and board, large LCD TV with decent range of channels, hairdryer and toiletries all supplied. The view from the room from the two balconies was fantastic. The room remained spotlessly clean throught our two weeks due to daily cleaning and an evening turndown service. The only negatives about the room were the relative lack of storage meaning we had to live partly from our suitcase, not enough drawer and cupboard space for 2 weeks’ worth of clothing for a couple in my opinion, but only a minor issue. The other negative was small lapses in attention to detail for example when tea/coffee facilities used it may take a few days for items to be replenished, and on a few occasions the lower half of the bed wasn’t made correctly. Overall the room was excellent and other than a few small pedantic issues that didn’t really bother us we were very happy.

The resorts amenities are a real highlight. The grounds are truly vast. The resort boosts various swimming pools, hot tubs, a flume, mountain bikes, various jogging paths, 9 hole pitch and putt, climibing wall, a great gym, onsite laundry facilities, a lake with kayaks, canoes, sailing, pedals etc, several championship golf courses, a tennis club, basketball court….the list goes on. We made use of as much as we could during our stay. The poolside staff, waiters and amenities co-originators were great and very friendly and helpful. Overall the amount of entertainment onsite is fantastic and is worth the amenities tax I mentioned earlier. The resort is fantastic for children and would easily amuse children and adults for the duration of their stay.

Location. The resort is located in the Lake Buena Vista area meaning it is a stone’s throw from Disneyworld resort. Downtown Disney is about a 5 minute drive from the resort and the rest of Disney perhaps 10-15 minutes’ drive. The resort is also close to the i4 meaning travelling to the airport, Universal, SeaWorld etc is all within 25 minutes’ drive traffic pending. This made the holiday much more enjoyable and I would return as a result.
The only other negatives were small issues with our bill and a parking issue. The self-parking on evenings were the hotels conferencing suits were being used for weddings, conference or functions on several evenings was close to bursting making finding a space difficult. On one evening the car park was full and after trying to park for 15 minutes we drove back to the valet area. After a brief discussion we were offered valet parking for no additional charge which alleviated the problem. Our only other issue was being charged for 14 nights parking on my room and on my friend and his wifes room despite is sharing the one car. This problem was again rectified relatively swiftly by a senior member of staff after a few confused minutes speaking to frontline staff. We have been unlucky but a few of the frontline staff seemed either new and in the process of training or slightly deficient in their roles. The senior members of staff however were quite the opposite.

Overall we had a great time. The hotel room was great, the hotels service and amenities were excellent and the location is fantastic. I would happily return in future. Expect the resort fee and parking charges they should simply be included into your budget when planning a stay and I feel any surprises are due to your travel agent rather than the resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool facing room for views into Disney
2 Thank craigmcarthur
HeeBee4, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your five point review of your extended vacation with us. We are glad that you were able to enjoy all of the amenities that we offer and thank you for noting that you felt you received a great value from it. Orlando in not only about theme parks but also a great resort experience without the long lines. You also enjoyed a tour of our resort as you checked in with one of our truly experienced bellmen. There are currently nine bell staff that have over 20+ years working for Hyatt. They love what they do and using a bellman will offer our guests a unique perspective of our resort and lets the guest know everything that is available to them. We sometimes hear a guest mention that they did not know we had something available and our staff asks if they used a bellman. Inevitably they did not. We hope our guests choose to use the bell staff so they will be well informed with everything we have to offer.

Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Great hotel overall, grand, if a little soulless lobby. Excellent pool, grounds and gym. Worth $25 for the pool view as it includes fireworks over Epcot and Magic Kingdom. Rooms quite small, but Ok, tiny balcony and a strange arrangement where the wardrobe door is also the toilet door. Had room service one night, my red lentil chili was excellent, but the turkey burger and swordfish sandwich didnt travel well to the 11th floor and were only half eaten. Ate at Cascades the next night, a mistake I am afraid, it is the standard cafeteria style breakfast room, with a high ceiling and a waterfall sculpture and despite the fresh sushi, turned up moderate and forgettable fare in a room without atmosphere.
All of the staff were excellent across the entire hotel, and I was more than happy to pay the outrageous prices for coffee and muffins in the lobby since the seating was nice and so were the staff. The hotel is very close to Disney, particularly if you go north on 535 and in through the back rather than using I4 or past Downtown Disney. Great if you plan to do an early morning, rest then return. I'd certainly return and stay here, but for moderately priced dining, I would try outside the hotel (I didnt give the more expensive restaurant a try though)

Room Tip: Worth an upgrade to pool view for the Disney fireworks show
philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I just checked in last evening and will be here till Monday. I love almost everything about this hotel and the grounds. The only thing getting use to is the bathroom where the door is just a slide door with no real privacy(lock), Other than this, we have found our new vacation hotel.

The location is absolutely perfect and plenty of shops and restaurants close by. The staff is over friendly if there is such a thing. From the moment we checked in everyone says hi and asked if you need anything. I can't wait to return and I still have 3 days left. Nice job Hyatt

Room Tip: We are staying on the 9th floor and facing downtown disney. I don't really see a bad location he...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Being so excited about our resort that you write a review whilst still here is a testament to our staff. A big beautiful resort is really not much without the right people to take care of it's guests. We are glad you acknowledged this to let the Trip Advisor readers know that when choosing a resort in Orlando, if service is important to you, please consider staying here at the Hyatt. Thank you for your five point review and we look forward to your next visit.

Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

My family and I stayed in this hotel during september 2012. We've been to disney a couple of times and usually stayed in the typical disney hotels (winderness Lodge, Polinesian resort, and Animal Kingdom Lodge), so my younger siblings and I were slightly skeptical about not staying in a Disney theme hotel. However, we were gladly mistaken! The hotel was beautiful, with an amazing main entrance that included the cute parrot Merlot. My siblings were especially taken with this staff member (sadly I don't remember his name) that seemed to be the care taker of Merlot. At our arrival he enthusiastically began telling them about the best rides and places in the Universal Parks (since we had never been there before, only disney), especially mentioning the Harry Potter area. My siblings being strong potter fans were delighted to find another fan at the hotel, and would always look for him in the entrance hall to talk to him.
The rooms were quite large and super comfortable. We didn't really eat much at the restaurants since we'd mostly eat at the parks, but we did order room service a couple of times. The service was super fast and quite good. I have to say one of the best part was the view! We had a magnificent view of some of the parks every morning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jajajavi91
Thinking outside the proverbial box, you took a chance by staying off property and discovered the amazing resort of the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. Right away you met Merlot and some incredible staff members, including Tim, who usually handles Merlot. You then discovered our comfortable rooms and fantastic views. Thank you for your five point review and we certainly hope you will return again on your next visit to Orlando.

Fall River, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We are staying in the Grand Cypress right now and surprisingly before we left I didn't read any reviews since I was in shock I had received such an amazing deal for a Hyatt hotel. My daughter and I go on an annual "girls getaway" each year and this year with her tight schedule we had only an extra long weekend. The requirement is sun and lots of shopping for our destination. Orlando fits that bill quite nicely! We were originally going to stay by the airport since we had booked to arrive late but my daughter's schedule freed up on Thursday so we decided to come earlier and stay closer to the outlet malls.

To sum up a review of the Grand Cypress -- "we have stayed in hotels around the world and they were just getting us prepared for the Grand Cypress!". This is absolutely the friendliest, well appointed hotel we have ever stayed at. Right from the champagne at check in to each and every staff member treating you like a real person and not just an annoyance (you can tell we flew Air Canada to Orlando) we love this hotel. My daughter wants to live there permanently:) since the fitness centre is incredible and she has experienced deplorable customer service and how it can ruin a holiday!

To the negative comments below... really the closet doesn't hang long dresses. This is what we have come to and judge hotels by? It has been a very stressful last few weeks so thank you to each and every one at Grand Cypress the two girls from Canada have met. You have no idea how your attentiveness, smiles and caring for our stay has meant to us. To anyone looking for a hotel in Orlando who will exceed your expectations (provided they are realistic and not frivolous) in e ery way please seriously consider Grand Cypress Hyatt.

Room Tip: Higher up floors do give a great view!
1 Thank Janice R
We thank you for your five point review. So glad to know you and your daughter had a great weekend here at the Hyatt. We are in the heart of Lake Buena Vista, yet our gated 1500 acres make us feel miles away. Please tell your family and friends all about us !