“Close to Disney, But not too close.”

Ranked #24 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Orlando, FL
“Close to Disney, But not too close.”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

First things first. The service was excellent, the rooms were comfortable and clean, and we didn't run into any hidden charges. Now the details:

Charges: There is a resort fee, and there is a parking fee. As long as you are aware of these, you will not be surprised. The good news is that there are no extra charges to use the bikes, rock walls, or paddle-boats. I can't tell you about the golf course because we don't play.

Shuttle to Disney: The shuttle leaves for Disney only twice a day, at about 9:00 and 10:00 and comes back only four or five times, in the afternoons. If these times are not convenient for you, then you will be on your own for transportation. This was fine for us, but if you are looking for hourly shuttles, then you will have to look elsewhere.

Heated pool: The pool was a good temperature, even though it was a little cool outside. Be aware that only one of the pools is heated, so don't be frozen out by the first pool you get to. The waterfalls by the pool look realistic enough, and my son had a great time wandering through the "caves".

Waterslide: Be aware that the slide has a minimum height requirement of 48 inches. This is pretty tall for this type of slide, so make sure your kid measures up before you book. The air was a little cold, and very windy the day we went, so my son did not want to wait in line for the slide. The air temp in Orlando is usually high enough that it won't matter, but don't plan to spend a lot of time on the slide in winter or early spring unless you are prepared for it. The top of the slide in not in the sun, which might be a good thing in July, but not so much in March. The good news is that the slide feeds into the heated pool, so if the line is short, you can be back in the water pretty quick. The splash pad did not seem to be heated, but it looked like it would be fun place on a hot afternoon.

Bike paths: The paved bike path was a little strange. It was quiet and peaceful, but when you got to the point where it looked like you would complete the circle, the sign instructed you to turn around and go back the way you came. It would be like having a jogging trail that went in a straight line, and then ended at a sign that says: "Good job, now face the other direction and continue."

Jogging trails: The jogging trails were a little better in that they seemed to end up back where they started without the benefit of forcing people to turn around. The landscaping is excellent, so you can jog through the property without ever worrying about the Orlando roads.

Paddle-boats: A good variety of single, double, and family boats were available to borrow and use around their lake. The lake is just the right size to paddle around and enjoy. I can see how it might get crowded if the hotel was packed, but when we were there, we usually saw only one or two other boats on the lake. There is also a sunfish you can use, but I never took it out.

Rock-climbing: There were several walls that were the right size for kids. My son was the right height for the smallest wall, which I think was a nine-foot "kiddie" wall. My son tried it once, and I think he would have done it again, but all he wanted to do was swim.

Dining: All of the restaurants at the motel are good, but we did not visit any of them this time around. We have been to Hemmingway's before, though, and it was excellent. For this trip, though, we were on a low budget, and we ate every meal at one of the restaurants just outside the hotel front gate. Because of the location, there are more than a dozen well-known chain restaurants within a mile or two of the hotel. We always found what we wanted without having to go out of our way in any direction. The chain restaurants might not offer the quality of the Hyatt, but they are a pretty reliable choice, and cheaper than hotel food or theme park food.

In total: If you are spending all day at the hotel, you might run out of stuff to do after a couple of days. But if you are using the hotel as a break from theme parks, it will add a dimension to your vacation that is easily as good as Disney's on-property hotels.

The atmosphere is family-friendly, without being as over-the-top as some other local hotels. Between the bikes, the paddle-boats, the heated pool, and the rock walls, The Hyatt Grand Cypress gives you a lot of things to do on the days that you are burned out from theme parks, or just enjoying a break during a conference. I would recommend it for family or for couples, unless you are specifically looking for something cheaper, or some place right on the Disney property..

Room Tip: If you pick a room just to be able to see the fireworks at Magic kingdom, don't get your hopes u...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Dave2Kim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (961)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel with lots of on-site activities (pools, bikes, boats etc.) We were greeted with champagne when we arrived and got a nice room with the lake view. The rooms are nicely decorated and the bed is very comfortable. The only complaint I have is that it only has one small jacuzzi and it's hidden away from the pools. It would be nice to have a larger and/or multiple jacuzzi closer to the pools. I've had good experiences with most Hyatt Regency hotels and was happy that we decided to stay here for our trip to Orlando.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
eldenmc
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel was the best I have stayed in! Very helpful and friendly staff. Clean rooms. Very big. I will be back!!! We had a great night sleep and the Television was very big. The pool area looked great but we could not enjoy it because we had to leave the next morning. The free breakfast was delicious!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HeeBee4, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for noting that our hotel is the best you have stayed in. With our helpful and friendly staff and 1500 acres, you will have to return so that you can truly enjoy all that we have to offer. We appreciate your review and we hope you will recommend us to your family and friends.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This location is simply divine! I was here for a conference so the selection of the hotel was not a decision made by myself. But, im sure glad this hotel
was selected. The rooms are spacious, and the laundry list of activities and amenities are endless. There's something available for every person in the family. The pool area is super clean and the staff members are pleasant! I must say that the only two suggestions I would give to the visitors of this hotel is to bring snacks, there no where on site to purchase an inexpensive beverage. Secondly, there's a Walgreens not far away, buy your own bottle of wine and leave it in the room. The alcohol is a bit pricey. ( Theres not happy hour) But overall they hotel deserves 5 stars!

• Stayed May 2013
When coming to our property for a business meeting, we hope that you pack some leisurewear as well. Our pool and hot tubs are open 24 hours a day. Thank you for noting our endless amenities and that our staff is pleasant. We do have a gift/sundry shop here in the hotel that offers snacks and drinks as well as our Palm Cafe for a casual lunch whether dining inside or on the pool deck. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you back again soon.

Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Orlando for a business trip. We love the hotel so much, we chose to add a couple of days. They have an extensive outdoor facilty and water activities. We kyaked in the lagoon, rode bikes over 5 miles of trails. They have beautiful white sand beaches right next to the pool. This was heaven in Feb ! Being from NH this was a treat. The macaw in the lobby, named Merlot was a lot of entertainment. The grounds were beautiful, and the restaurants great. We had a long talk with the art director of the shops, did not buy anything, but very friendly and interesting. We would highly recommend this as a great place for families as well as couples, lots to do, and very easy to get to. Downtown Disney is just a 10 min car ride away.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
So nice to read that while coming to our hotel for business that you added a few days because you enjoyed it so much ! Our many amenities were utilized by the two of you and we are glad you truly enjoyed them. We hope that when you plan a leisure vacation, you will consider coming back to our resort. Thank you for taking the time to let the Trip Advisor readers know that business can mix with pleasure!

Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I just returned from Orlando having attended some celebration dinners for my friend's daughter graduation from UCF and for their 25th wedding anniversary.

As most travelers do, I chose a hotel for both location and price. In this case I thought I'd treat myself to something special and went for a 4-star hotel via priceline. I ended up with a room at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress for $103 a night....or so I thought.

First, the Hyatt has a pretty amazing property and amenities...which amounts to your first shake-down for an additional Resort Fee of $22 a day. When I questioned this charge, the woman at the desk (who is just the messenger here) told me this charge was clearly outlined on my Priceline receipt....which is a big BULL-oney sandwich. I checked my Priceline receipt when I got home and there is NO mention of this "Hotel Fee" which was presented to me at check-in as a "Resort Fee". Feel dirty yet?? But wait!!! Here comes your second shake-down. You will also be charged either $13 a day for self-parking or $26 a day for valet. Again, checking my Priceline receipt shows that this additional charge is also NOT mentioned. Had enough yet? Here comes your third shake-down....My friend and his 16-year old daughter came to the Hyatt to visit. Originally we we going to use some of the outdoor amenities, but the weather didn't fully cooperate, so the Hyatt staff shut down all activities. Of course there is no refund of the Resort Fee for inclimate weather. My friend's daughter requested that I buy a virgin Frozen Pina Colada for her. I decided that sounded good too. My friend opted for the full octane version. Let's guess the tally for 2 non-alcoholic drinks and 1 alcoholic (barely) one. If you guessed $33 you would have been right. That's $11 dollars each!!! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Clearly the concern of the management/owners of the Hyatt is money, money, money. Caring about people takes too much effort.

Two noteworthy aspects of the Hyatt are actually some of the people there. Housekeeping keeps an immaculate room and are very considerate and friendly with guests. The most enjoyable are the gentlemen who assist with your bags/luggage. They are all very friendly and engaging. In just two days my favorite became a gent by the name of Tim who shared amusing stories of flying on an airplane with a frozen turkey and small microwave oven. It was all part of an interesting and somewhat romantic story that you'll need to ask him about.

The real total for my $103 a day room was $157.97, which is approximately $55 more A DAY than I was quoted.

$103.00 Room
1.43 Hotel Fee sales tax
1.32 Hotel fee occupancy tax
------------
$157.97

It's a very pretty hotel and has much to do on good-weather days. I simply had enough of the misleading prices, high prices and miscellaneous "shake downs". I won't be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank NuK1
HotelManagerHRGC, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Mr. G,

Thank you for the comments regarding your recent stay that you sent to me directly, wrote in the Hyatt survey as well as posted here on TripAdvisor. As I previously communicated to you, Priceline does note that there are additional fees on their website when booking a reservation. I am sorry that you apparrently did not see that the notation. The hyatt.com website also provides detailed information regarding our resort. As you know, I credited the Resort Fee back to your credit card and apologized for any misunderstanding that you may have had.

If you care to further discuss, please feel free to contact me again.

Regards,
Larry McCloskey
Hotel Manager
407-239-1234
Cookeville
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Took my family to SeaWorld and Universal Studios over Spring Break in March 2013. Rooms were very comfortable and food was excellent. Staff was very helpful. Lots of restaurants to eat at offsite nearby. I ran the 4 mile running trail upon arrival. We hit the resort pools daily after visiting the parks. State of the art pools, fitness center, hot tubs. Lots of onsite activities for kids and teenagers. Great stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank freddyCookeville
We appreciate your review and are glad you enjoyed our many activities. Thank you for noting our very helpful staff. If your travels take you back to Orlando in the future, we hope that you will stay with us once again.