“Wonderful staff, average room, OK food, pool under construction”

Ranked #32 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed here for two nights for a business conference. I used Mears transportation to and from the airport, so I can't comment on the parking fees. The Resort Fee was included in the package, so I have no idea how much this Mandatory fee costs (you cannot waive it according to the paperwork). Every hotel employee I encountered was polite and helpful. The elevators are very fast and have verbal floor announcements and direction (going up or down) for vision impaired guests. There are 2 restaurants and 3 bars on site. Hemingway's Restaurant does not allow guests to wear jeans and will cost a minimum of $30 per person to eat there. Cascade American Bistro is less formal but just as expensive as Hemingway's. White Horse Sports Bar has a very limited menu (burgers, wraps, soup, pizza) and very expensive drinks. I didn't visit the other bars; sorry. Any restaurant off-site is at least a half mile walk, which isn't too bad if the weather is nice. The pool was under construction, which was not mentioned anywhere on their website (but other travelers mentioned it here so I knew not to pack my swimsuit). You can see Disney from this hotel! I watched the fireworks at Magic Kingdom from the hallway. The room was clean. I heard other guests complaining about no access to outlets, but my room had one on the wall near the bed in plain view and was easy to access. WiFi worked fine. The TV worked fine but has a crazy delay between changing channels. The room has a standing balcony that is about a foot deep, so no chair can fit on it. The air conditioning is very noisy and rattles, and it will wake you up every time the compressor starts. I ended up turning the fan to "ON" so I wouldn't notice the compressor as much. The bathroom and closet share a frosted glass door that doesn't lock (either the bathroom is open or the closet is open). There is no exhaust fan in the bathroom. The lighting is weird in the bathroom. The shower is really nice, but you'll need to know to push in the black button on the knob as you turn on the hot water (it is a safety feature to keep kids from scalding themselves). Room service charges $3.50 to deliver and automatically adds a 22% tip to the bill (including the delivery fee). There is a beautiful green winged macaw named Merlot who lives in the lobby. He is a touch-me-not bird, so do NOT try to pet him!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the fountain. You can open the balcony door and enjoy the sound!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Great Big hotel, its starting to show its age, they had a Parrot in the lobby, the view from the room was amazing, the parking fee was outrageous and since it was raining I had no chance to use the resort amenities since I stayed for only 2 nights.. it was a waste of resort fee..

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank StanWalk
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Great conference hotel and an alternative to other family resorts. This is actually a full service resort with resort fee covering sailboats, paddle boat , wifi, pitch putt golf and family bikes and much more. Having stayed here maybe half dozen times over 20 years or so ,this retains shine. Many restaurants here at hotel prices, however if you want Macaroni Grill or hundreds like that you are just 5 minutes away. Parks are all within 15 minutes and resort fee covers transport as well. We stayed once during a hurricane and was so impressed how management protected guests while the atrium was imploding and winds howling. They fed us for free all day while the torment was raging outside. It was a class act. The main pool is almost refinished but there is construction going on, maybe 3 months to finish. There is a pool open with slide so be forewarned as you will see stuff going on nearby but I think if you get a good price now you 'll be very pleased.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jackman1
HeeBee4, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for your review and noting our many activities. Our staff and management team work very hard every day to ensure that our guests have a great experience no matter what the weather brings. Our new water slide is open and ready for use !! Our new pool bar and grill will be opening soon as well as our newly refinished main pool. We are so excited for this spring and summer season as we know our guests will be in awe of our enhancements.

Steven M Ballot
Guest Relations
Steven.Ballot@Hyatt.com

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Great place to stay near to WDW , amazing view from the rooms , nice pool , clean .
I think it's too expensive the hotel fee and the self parking fee almost 30 dollar per day , despite that , is really recommendable.
Clean and modern design rooms , nice view of the WDW Resort on the top floors.

Room Tip: Look closely at the surcharges.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

A lot of wildlife on a beautiful property,nice lake where you can t swim(because of aligators),but you can row or water cycle. Kids can swim and play in a small water park. You can golf as they have a nice golf course also. There are some nice restaurants on the territory. I loved one called Hemingway's, which provides you with romantic atmosphere,great view and excellent food. Try the duck dish-you won t regret!

• Stayed: January 2013

We offer many activities to our guests, some include water activities on our lake. We do not have alligators in the lake but any body of in Florida can be a place for them. We are so glad you also had the opportunity to experience Hemingway's Restaurant. It is truly a gem in Orlando dining. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to your return.

Steven M Ballot
Guest Relations
Steven.Ballot@Hyatt.com

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and two small children for one night in January. We were planning to check in and then head of to Epcot, but unfortuantely I was feeling a bit under the weather so we decided to hang at the hotel instead. The hotel has a BUNCH of activities leaving the kids satisfied. The larger pool was closed due to renovations but the smaller, heated pool was open and everyone enjoyed a swim. There was a water slide set up as well which my 4 year old loved. If I was feeling better I may have tried the rock climbing or even the sunfish sailing or kayaking on the their small lake (big pond.)

Our room was big and clean, with a view of the Epcot fireworks at night. Staff were all nice and attentive. Needed a bandaid in the evening so I made a quick call and security brought some up to us. The man asked if everything was all right and if anyone was hurt, seeming genuinely concerened.

In the lobby there is a parrot(?) named Merlot which amazed the kids (and me as well.)

After naptime we took a nature walk around the grounds which are quite extensive. My husband noticed a sign by another section of the lake that said "No swimming due to alligators" which confused me as the kayaks and sailboats are around the corner. Glad that I didnt give sailing a shot earlier in the day!!

* We got our hotel room with points, but our bill still came to over $100 for lunch and a bit of room service. Drinks are pricey at $13 per pina colada!

Room Tip: Some rooms have unobstructed views of Disney fireworks. Ask for one of those.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank meribon
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We were attending an exhibition and conference at the Gaylord Convension centre. I got a really good deal for this hotel (3 rooms, for 5 days) from Priceline. There is a resort fee of $22 per night plus parking. Food is good but expensive in the restaurants. The buffet breakfast (Fri-Mon) is amazing but expensive.

I was a bit dissapointed that they could find me a room for a business meeting, the recepion staff didn't seem to know who to ask and I got the feeling tht I was fobbed off with a "none available" answer when there were definitely rooms avaable downstairs in the conference area. We had our meeting on the patio and then the outside cafe/restaurant, which was very pleasant and probably much cheaper !

The hotel is an impressive glass shell withe rooms around two sides.

Room Tip: We went high for a quiet night.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business