“Short Holiday Vacation”

Ranked #29 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My grandson and I stayed Dec. 27th thru Dec. 30th. Customer service was excellent, room was wonderful, had a nice view of the fireworks from the various Disney parks. The food at Cascades was good. The main pool was under construction, but I knew that when I booked my stay. We were also within walking distance from the resort to many other restaurants. We found the staff to be very accomodating. We were very happy with our experience and would definitely come back.

1  Thank Laurene E
HeeBee4, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for the last days of 2012. Always nice to know that our guests are enjoying the restaurants and facilities and that our staff is always available to assist in any way we can. The pool work should be completed by the end of February 2013 so we hope you come back an enjoy our new refurbishments. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return.

Steven M Ballot
Guest Relations
Steven.Ballot@Hyatt.com

Write a ReviewReviews (5,883)

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here for the night before checking into a Disney property. It was clean, the room was huge, and it was much nicer than the Disney hotel for a third of the price! The staff was friendly, and they offered free champagne for the adults and pool toys for the kids upon checkin. The bell service was quick and very helpful considering how much junk we had for one night. We will definitely stay here next time we are in Orlando. The only downside was the shower. The shower door only covered half of the tub and there wasn't much privacy with little ones running in and out of the bathroom.

Room Tip: I booked our room on Priceline and paid $140 for everything.
2  Thank CaraJS
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Traveled with a youth soccer team for Disney Tournament. No laundry facilities. Fitness club closed for renovation; offered small room with tired cardio equipment and no weights, only learned after leaving they were offering free transport and entrance to a sister hotel. No coffee offered in the lobby, but you could pay $3.50 for a cup. Pool closed (seems odd to schedule construction during Xmas/New Years weeks which are the busiest of the year). Food and beverage prices equiv to NYC ($12/$15 for mixed drink, bfast buffet $27). $11 parking and additional 'amenity' fee. Was offered a couple hundred off our 2 room, 5 night stay, would rather have worked out and had coffee. Hemingways was excellent, avoided all other restaurants due to stories about service and prices. Rooms had been rennovated, aesthetics aren't for me but new was nice.

As a regular business traveler at nice hotels, it is subpar; as a value oriented family traveler, much too expensive.

Also, a pet peeve applicable to all these hotels, whats up with the bedding. You have two layers, a sheet, and a comforter which would seem to be suitable for igloo living in the antartica. It is almost impossible to adjust the thermometer/bedding to achieve a comfortable range. How about a couple of layers...light cotton blanket and another heavier blanket?

Room Tip: face pool, see fireworks. elevators can get crowded, lower is better.
1  Thank KleyP
HotelManagerHRGC, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Dear Mr. P,

I am sorry that you experienced difficulties during your stay at our resort. As you know from your numerous daily interactions and emails with top management in the hotel, refurbishment and renovation projects had been in progress for several months and not just during the holidays. Our pool, coin laundry and new fitness center projects will be completed by the end of February. Your did receive compensation for your concerns despite the fact that your tour operator was previously aware of the construction. Hopefully, you will have the opportunity to return and experience our upgraded facility.

Regards,
Larry McCloskey
Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Had a 3-night stay at the Hyatt Grand Cypress over New Year’s weekend. Below is a summary of various aspects of my experience:

Pre-arrival: I have a habit of emailing the front office manager prior to arrival to highlight my reservation and ensure that special requests are known (e.g-preference for high floor in a quiet location). As Hyatt Platinum members I also ask for upgrade (if possible), a request that has usually been met at other Hyatt properties. Since it was a holiday weekend I had little hope of getting an upgrade, but it never hurts to ask. At minimum I expected to get an acknowledgment of an email that I sent to the Front Office Manager, Natalie Bronkema, three days prior to my arrival. I had to send this email to her a second time after getting no response. When she failed to respond to the second email, I called her directly. The first thing she said was, "I never saw your email because I haven’t checked them for two days". She searched her mailbox, found the email, and said she'd personally monitor my reservation and make every attempt to meet my requests (this phone call cost me at least 25 dollars for the few minutes we spoke as my family and I were in the middle of the Atlantic returning from a 2 week Caribbean cruise and phone rates are quite high). I told Ms Bronkema we wouldn't be arriving at the hotel until 6 PM which she said made it easier to get the kind of room we were requesting.

The next morning we got off the ship and drove from Ft Lauderdale to Kennedy Space Center. Around 2 PM I called the front desk to check on our room location. The woman I spoke to at the front desk said we had been blocked into a room on the 7th floor in a quiet location facing the pool (which is under construction and not a pretty sight). I reminded her that I had spoken to Ms. Bronkema about getting a room on a high floor and asked how many floors the hotel was. She told me there were 18 floors in the hotel and that the 7th floor was considered a "very high floor". Her response seemed ridiculous and she was not particularly interested in trying to move us higher. I asked to speak with Ms. Bronkema who seemed to have no personal knowledge about which room had been blocked for us despite her assurance the day before that she would monitor our room allocation. I expressed my annoyance with the front desk's response (which she did not apologize for). She said she would work on trying to get us higher since rooms were still being cleaned. Around 5 PM I called the front desk and spoke to someone (a male) who was somewhat hostile and flatly refused to tell me what floor we were on "in case we have to move you again prior to your arrival"-another ridiculous response from the front desk.

Check-In and Room: We were assigned room 1134 which is a nice room on a high-enough floor, but the room had an unpleasant perfumey/musty odor to it. Surprised to see there was only a shower stall and no tub in bathroom (was told there are only 2 rooms in hotel that have tubs). Check-in clerk was friendly, but failed to explain benefits/location of Regency Club until I reminded her that we had a Regency Club room. She said that as Platinum members we could get a newspaper of our choice delivered each morning and I asked for the New York Times. The next morning, found out they won't deliver that paper and that I'd have to get it in gift shop myself and that they would then reimburse me. Two mornings later I walked by 2 rooms that had the NY Times in front of their door!

Despite inconsistent encounters with front desk, I’d like to say a special thank-you to Barbara who was able to get us a late check-out on the day of our departure (4:30 PM) after the on-duty manager the night before (Kenneth) said that the best he could do was give us a 12:30 P.M. check-out and the use of a “parlor room” for showering after the pool. Barbara was not only helpful but had a friendly and accommodating manner which many front desk staff seemed to lack.

Concierge: They send most guests to Johnnies or the Italian version of that same restaurant chain. The food at Johnnies was gross (like a high-end version of Red Lobster). I’m sure the concierge gets some kind of kick-backs for this.

Valet-If you ask for a taxi, they'll send you to one of the Town Cars they have waiting at the front entrance without telling you that they could also call a metered taxi, the cheaper option. I was annoyed that I was not given the option until I asked.

Regency Club-Nice breakfast spread in Regency Club lounge located on 12th floor with friendly/accommodating staff.

Cascades: This restaurant provided decent (not great) food with very slow and uneven service. We ate there twice. Sushi-bar was good. On New Year’s eve they comped our entire meal because of how poor the service was (e.g., 45 minute wait for the first course). To their credit, however, the Maitre D responded appropriately and we were appreciative of their attempts to allay our frustration and annoyance with the whole experience.

Fitness Room- Was not notified that the Health club was under renovation. Instead, they took a tiny room off the lobby area and stuffed it with some cardio machines. As someone who goes to the gym daily, I was not thrilled with this option. They should have at least housed the temporary fitness room in a larger room with more space.

Pool- As mentioned previously, the main pool is under construction. Regardless, I enjoyed the smaller pool that remains open, as well as the complimentary non-motorized boats they have for patrons of the hotel.

Final impressions: The physical property was nice and once the pool and Health Club renovations are complete, it will be a great place to spend time with family. There needs to be more training for front desk staff on how to provide more consistent, friendly and personalized service. There were many opportunities for them to shine when dealing with an admittedly demanding guest, yet they really failed the test!

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms give you view of nighttime fireworks
4  Thank luxurytraveler
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I recently spent a few nights in this hotel on a business trip to Orlando. When we found out we would be staying here and were truelly blown away by the photos of the hotel and pool areas. I must say in real life the hotel didn't live up to the photos. First off the majority of the pools were closed for renovation. Between the contruction equipment, fences and noise the pool area just wasn't attractive or relaxing. You get an idea of the size of the hotel from the pictures but it seemed even larger to us in real life. This was a real hastle when it came time to walk out to the rental car which easily took 10-15 minutes from my room to the car door. Sure you can pay the valet but that costs more and takes time as well. The hotel was clean and well decorated but lacked any real charm. After the conference we switched to Disneys Beach Club resort for a short Disney trip with the kids. Honestly there was no comparison, Beach Club was ten times the hotel the Hyatt was. So for business I would stay here again but as a home base for a theme park trip this place doesn't hold a candle to the Disney properties.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank GeoffM24
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Location is nice, hotel clean but they try to get as much money out of the guest as possible. Mandatory fee of 22.00 for amenities not included in the price per night, Valet fee of 25.00 or self park of 12.00 but parking is a mile a away. In room service has a fee of 3.50 plus another of 22% really how much can they get from you. If you add all these fees you night on high season is between 300 and 500. So please be careful on the undisclosed additional fees and enjoy your trip.

• Stayed: December 2012
12  Thank Sobadd
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

This Hyatt was a nice clean hotel. Plenty of activities onsite such as a climbing wall, putt putt, paddle boats and kayaking on lake, pools, sport courts.
Each staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. It was beautifully decorated for Christmas. Self parking, which you pay for is too far away, I recommend the valet, which costs more. They are on the process of updating rooms, so ours was updated. Just a personal complaint, the updated shower/tub has one of the modern style single glass panels covering only half of the shower. Makes showering cold and you are exposed to anyone who comes in the bathroom. As I said, just a personal thing. We would defiantly stay here again. Within reasonable drive to all Orlando theme parks.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank TripMember06172016

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our resort. I am glad to read that each of our staff was friendly and helpful. Our resort offers plenty of things to do for the entire family and glad that you were able to enjoy so many of them. Our self parking lot is adjacent to our ballroom area and is a mere few minutes from parking to lobby. All our guest rooms have already been completely renovated. When your travel plans bring to back to Orlando, we hope that you will once again choose our resort.

Steven M Ballot