“like paradise”

Ranked #25 of 336 Hotels in Orlando
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“like paradise”
Reviewed May 29, 2011

This hotel is gorgeous. I loved so many things about it: the room, the pool, the service, the people, the views, the breakfast buffet, the conference center, the landscapes, and resort amenities, free shuttle to disney. The only things I didnt like was that the food was really expensive and I wish the pool/bar thing was open later.

Room Tip: as for a room where you can see the disney firewos
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank rodrig
HeeBee4, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to let the Trip Advisor readers know that the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress is the whole package - from the staff and food to the rooms and the grounds - we pride ourselves on giving our guests the ultimate resort experience. Enjoying all we have to offer and not ever having to leave the property. We appreciate you staying with us and please recommend us to your family and friends.

Steven.Ballot@Hyatt.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (960)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
FL
Reviewed May 29, 2011

First, I am not rich. In fact, staying at this hotel was a bit of a splurge for my wife and I for a quick weekend trip from a town about an hour away. We picked the hotel because it looked to have a great pool. A quick breakdown of the hotel follows.

Room: The room was spacious, clean and well appointed with flat panel tv, ipod/mp3 dock and an air filter. While the decoration style was not my taste, I did not hate it either. The bathroom is big and the shower has a regular shower head and rain style head. I took 4 showers while there and each time I had period of hot water (the way I like it) and barely warm water. My wife said the water was fine for her.

Pool: The pool is where I was the most disappointed. The pool is massive and has 2 small water slides and numerous waterfalls. It looks really cool. However, unless you are down at the pool to reserve your chair by 8am, don't even bother. I prefer to have chairs in the shade and did manage to grab the last 2 (literally), but I saw many people wandering around looking for a place to place their belongings (and this was at 10 am). Also, call me an alcoholic if you want, but I was on vacation and at the pool by 9:30 am. By 10 I was ready for an adult beverage. They don't serve till 11:00 though. Bummer. The worst thing was a lack of music. Our beer maid kept telling us she was going to get the music turned on but it never happened. Several people around us were also lamenting about the lack of tunes. I am no spring breaker, but the pool scene at this hotel is not happening in the least. My tip: Take your mp3 and portable speakers. Considering we chose the place for the pool, we were pretty disappointed.

Fees: I actually spent $50 on a breakfast for 2 people. I am still nauseous about this. And it was not great food either. Pretty tasteless buffet fare. The hotel does have a lot to do but we could barely scratch the surface for the $22 daily resort fee. I did use the pitch and put course which was kind of fun. Like most resorts they know they have a captive audience and they do not hesitate to bend you over on prices of things. $6.95 for a croissant? What a joke!!!!!

Parks: We did not visit to go to the parks, but it is minutes from Disney and about 10 minutes from Universal.

All in all I would not recommend this hotel for weekend travelers looking to have fun by the pool. This place is more suited to the r&r crowd, which is cool, I just wish I knew that ahead of time. Maybe I was expecting too much for my $200 a night plus associated hotel fees.

Room Tip: Tell them you want to watch the fireworks.
3 Thank GringoSmalls
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We visited in September 2010 and had an amazing time. For the majority of our trip we stayed at the villas then moved over to the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress on our last night. We enjoyed the large swimming pool, excellent poolside cocktails and fantastic food both at the on site restuarants and room service. The chicken tortilla soup is to die for! We will be returning very soon for some rest, relaxation and fun!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us in the past and choosing to return very soon. Glad to hear you truly enjoyed the pool area and the food here at the Hyatt. The cocktails by the pool are certainly a nice treat while sitting by the pool on a nice sunny day ! Please recommend us to your family and friends.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Me and my wife chose this hotel to celebrate our honeymoon. We booked a two week stay in this hotel with BA travel. We read some of the reviews beforehand but were not over worried as my partner and myself work in the hotel business and acknowledge that reviews are personal opinions based on the experiences guests have in a hotel. It can however be an indicator of what's to come. With this in mind, I made several calls to the hotel prior to arrival to ensure that it was marked down as being a honeymoon. This was confirmed to me on all occasions.

On arrival we were greeted by receptionist who went into hard sell mode straight away. No congrats, warm welcome nothing. Straight to the $20.00 a night upgrade for a firework view room. I mentioned it was my honeymoon and did not expect to pay for this as I booked a two weeks stay! She answered" That makes sense" and gave us a complimentary firework view room. Strange methods in making people feel at home straight away! After been shown our room we received a courtesy call to see if all was well with the room. At that time I made the kind lady aware that I was a bit disappointed with the fact there was no acknowledgement of our honeymoon. Not a card of the manager on duty, not a piece of fruit , not even a bottle of water. I answered the lady that guests remember the small details the longest and she said " You are so right, what can I do for you sir?" -Well some bubbles with some strawberries, some wine, a card anything really I replied.... (Strange that after leaving my work behind as a FOH manager for less then a day I seemed to be working again but now in this hotel!) Ten minutes later a knock on the door and......Champagne, strawberries and a card arrived in the room. What a shame I had to ask for it myself.

The room was beautifully decorated and had all the amenities you would expect of a 5* hotel. It was not until the evening that we found out that the sheets had stains all over the duvet - which did look like blood. This was mentioned and sorted straight away. The view from the room, however was amazing.

Breakfast; nice selection of food- everything you could need for breakfast. The restaurant itself was average and not cleaned to any great standard - we saw a coffee stain on the sugar holder on a table on the first day that was still there on our last day, the stairs leading to the buffet were green long ago but were absolutely filthy stained now as are the windows and chairs. We were asked for our name and room number every day and even after 13 breakfasts the host could not remember our name! Another sign that customer care is not highly rated in this hotel.

The grounds: Beautiful with nice seating areas, probably the only area that deserves the star rating the hotel holds. The pool was beautiful (the waterfalls quite noisy though!) Nice boats to use,bikes, golf, climbing wall etc ( make sure you use these as you pay $18.00 per day for it!)

I checked my bill half way through and was overcharged by $137.00. I questioned this and it was rectified ASAP. They charged $22.00 resort fee instead of $18.00 a day. I asked why this happened and got told "Did we not tell you that if you go for the $4.00 upgrade you have the high speed internet ?. This internet costs $15.00 a day afterwards for upgrade " I mentioned that I was not told and that the "Normal" internet is included in the rate anyway. He cancelled the upgrade with red cheeks! BTW it is $18.00 per day with another $3.00 tax added to that a day so $18.00 is really £21.00 resort fee. The rest of the overcharge was breakfast on the bill that should have been inclusive in the package I had.

The hotel does provide a complimentary shuttle to the theme parks, which was great however very limited in its schedule.We found it quicker and more convenient to take the number 50 Lynx bus from right around the corner. 2$ per person. On the subject of buses - one morning we went to ask the concierge the best way to get to the Premium Outlets and were told we needed to take a taxi which would cost around $20 each way. I remembered that I had read on Trip Advisor that there was a complimentary shuttle to the outlets, so when I pointed this out to the concierge she replied that "yes we do offer a shuttle, you just need to book a place on it". Why did I need to ask about this? - this sums up the general attitude of this hotel - it is not pro-active in any sense. They will get away with as much as possible until it is questioned.

HOUSEKEEPING: I completely agree with several reviews on this site about housekeeping in this hotel. This hotel has an issue in the housekeeping department- IT IS JUST NOT CLEAN! (particularly the public areas) - dusty, dirty windows, mirrors, bottle tops, nails and screws lying around the poolside etc
On 3 separate occasions, housekeeping walked in the room without even knocking- this was a particular issue for us as we were on honeymoon - enough said! I called the manager on duty whowas in chock about this happening. He made sure we were not bothered any more for the rest of our stay. We had filled in a card for housekeeping on arrival to request a specific time for them to come each day - time which stated noon but still they walked in on two occasions at 8.00 AM.

FOOD: Very good food around the pool and in the bar. Nice staff and good service. Room-service was less consistent; on our first 4 meals with them it was great but the last one on the night before we left was practically inedible and they had forgotten to bring half the meal for one of our main-courses! We did feed this back afterwards and woke up the next day to find a full refund, which is a nice gesture, but again, too little too late?

CHECK OUT Jorge who was on duty totally ignored us, asked three times " do you need help with your bags?" didn't ask about the stay and best of all started making three courtesy calls whilst we were left standing there looking stupid. I asked him whilst on the phone " do you need my card, is everything all right?" He did look up and said "you good to go, thanks." We did not know what just happened and even the bell boy looked ashamed. It was funny to see how he said sorry for his colleagues behaviour. I will write an email to the hotel as well about this event.

We had a nice stay at this hotel- the staff around the pool and outside the hotel were helpful in every way. We had a nice room and nice food. The sun was shining and had a great time in the parks. We are just sad that a 5* hotel can have such a poor Front of house and housekeeping. It was all nice, nothing was spectacular. Not what you would hope for for a honeymoon or special occasion.

Mr Steven ballot: A good tip. Spend a little less time making advertisements out of all the small positives people mention in their reports on this site and start doing your job and acting on the areas for development!- Making sure all arriving guests for special occasions are pampered from the start is your job surely?

9 Thank Lineychoo
California
Reviewed May 28, 2011

I spent weeks trying to find the perfect hotel for our vacation. This hotel was the worst choice I could have made. Please read this whole thing and dont make the mistake we did.
First, most importantly they siphon money constantly. Upon arrival they took almost $700 out of our account ( this was not the expected resort fee). Each day after that, they took $25 to $125 a DAY until we checked our bank account and caught it.
They called it an "honest mistake" but did not give the money back, saying we had to call our bank. After two hours of talking to the front desk, they admitted they shouldn't have taken the money in the first place and would "look into it" By the end of a week stay they had taken appx $1100 out of our account in ADDITION to our prepaid rooms and resort fee.
Second, the walls of this hotel are very thin. I could hear the man upstairs urinating ( and could tell it was a man). The hotel maid, although polite, shouted loudly every morning in the hallway from about 7 to 9 am. The hallways overall are extremely loud. YOU MUST bring earplugs.
Third, our toilet clogged almost everyday. The maintenance man said this was because too many people in the hotel were using toilets at the same time ( what?). Beds are very hard.
Fourth- bugs. There were spiders in our room and we were bit by fleas?bedbugs? in our bed during the night. Manager said it was mosquitos but it was only on our feet and ankles and while we slept under the covers.
Fifth- there is no balcony. It is only a ledge you can step out on. Cigarette butts were on our "balcony" despite the no smoking policy.
Sixth-
about a week in, we were locked out of our room one night when we got back around midnight. At this point we were so frustrated with the hotel and were exhausted and hungry. I went downstairs-visibly angry- and told the front desk I was locked out. She called security and said " I had no ID" and "I could wait". After waiting for 15 mins, she began apologizing to the other guests in line because I was tapping my fingers. Frustrated, I went to the other person working and said I needed to talk to a manager. She told him I "could wait because I was being disrespectful" At this point I was in tears and the manager pulled us aside. After we explained everything to him, he said he would reprimand her. He was very surprised at the amount of money that had been taken out of our account. He credited some of it back.
I got everyones names and am writing a letter to corporate.
Oh also, though the parking lot is not really far away, it is too far to be walking after an exhausting day at Disney. It is also not reasonable for a disabled or elderly person.
STAY AWAY from this hotel.

17 Thank Jesikitty
OrlandocypressHotel, Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
We are so sorry your visit to our resort was not the experience you were expecting. We pride ourselves on providing uncompromising accommodations and when our guests do not experience a first class visit, we do not take it lightly. Please accept our sincere apologies for the mix-up with the deposit and the other items you touched on in your posting. Please contact us personally to discuss further. Thank You.
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 25, 2011

This Hotel was Great, the pool is very nice and event with all the great things to do in orlando part of you just wants to go back and lounge by the pool. The ambiance is luxurious and the staff was very professional. Definitely worth the extra bucks to stay in orlando in style

Room Tip: If you bank with CHASE try booking with chase.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
HeeBee4, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and letting the Trip Advisor readers know that coming to Orlando doesn't necessarily mean a theme park visit. Come to Orlando and stay at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress to relax and enjoy the luxurious surroundings. Our free form swimming pool with 12 waterfalls is very relaxing. Kids and adults love our water slides, rock wall and playing our 9 hole pitch and putt golf course which sits adjacent to the pool. There are many other activities to discover here at the Hyatt as well. Please recommend us to your family and friends.

Orlando, FL
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Overall a pretty good hotel. Nice lobby and pool area (24 hour pool). The rooms are pretty much standard hotel rooms, kept clean.

The issues I have with the hotel is the nickling and diming. Valet parking was $23 a day for a hotel out past the suburbs, not like parking spaces are at a premium. Tips are add to everything, but they leave a line for tip on your bill and don't tell you about this. Luckily a friend let me know, or I would have been adding 20% on top of the already outrageous prices. Then they hit you with a "resort fee" that is mandatory. Shouldn't this just be put of the room rate if it is mandatory? We were there for a wedding and did not really have an opportunity to utilize the facilities, but still had to pay that "resort fee".

A good place to stay if you are visiting Disney and can afford it, but realize that management is unethical in there billing methods.

3 Thank Bailey77736