“AN AMAZING OASIS OF PEACE IN CENTRAL FLORIDA”

Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary, Queen of the Universe
Ranked #18 of 439 things to do in Orlando
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Built by tourists, for tourists, this Roman Catholic Church was built in the 1980's to accommodate the 30+ million visitors to the Central Florida attractions yearly. The Basilica is not a regular parish church, but a tourist ministry that sits on 17 acres and offers a Rosary Garden, multiple Chapels, Museum, Pilgrimage Center, Gift Shop, bronze statues, oil paintings and art from the 16th century as well as amazing stained glass including a Rose window, Universe window, Rosary windows and The Magnificat windows.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Wheelchair access
Reviewed July 10, 2014

All I can say about this beautiful place will be very inadequate when compared to reality. I love this place and visit it every time I'm in Orlando. I find it peaceful and full of Grace. It centers me and offers me inner as well as outer peace and tranquility. Whether you're a believer or not, I highly recommend a visit to this Shrine to Mary, who truly is in my view, The Queen of The Universe.

1  Thank Frank d
Write a ReviewReviews (1,379)

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Very beautiful and a wonderful place to have quiet. But if you go to Mass on Sunday make sure you arrive early, a lot of people attend Mass at this church.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

A huge church that always seems to be busy. I've only come here for the Sunday service once, but I prefer to visit during non-mass hours. Make sure to get here early for service if you want to get a parking space. Also, because of its proximity to the outlets, it takes quite a long time to make it through the traffic around the church.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed going to church on Sunday morning on Mother's Day. The church had 12,000 roses around the altar. It was a magnificent site. We thoroughly enjoyed the service. The sermon was good, the choir was good, and basically everything about the place was good. We got a big kick out of their church store. It had tons of religious stuff to buy. The most interesting item in the store was a cardboard picture of Pope Francis. The picture was so realistic that it seemed like he was standing next to you. My wife and I had someone take a picture of us with the cardboard picture of Pope Francis and then I Photoshopped the picture of us with the Pope with the inside of the church as the background. It really looked so realistic that people thought we were actually with the Pope at the church. People really enjoyed the picture.

Gina S, General Manager at Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary, Queen of the Universe, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Our visitors always take the best pictures of Our Lady's Shrine and we enjoy seeing the beautiful Basilica through the eyes of the pilgrims who travel here. Your picture was just delightful and made me laugh! The Pope Francis cut-out has been the subject of hundreds, if not thousands, of pictures, but you were the first to "put" Pope Francis in the church; great photo-shopping! So glad you enjoyed your visit!

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Gorgeous gorgeous GORGEOUS!
As a Florida resident, I come to Orlando quite often, and we've passed this church many times during my youth. I fondly remembering laughing at the blatant all-encompassing name, so it's definitely a name that sticks with you!

At 21, I was in Orlando with my mother during Easter, and we decided to go some early shopping at the Premium Outlets next door before going to mass. We debated if we should leave the car in the parking lot and walk over to the church, but in our heels it would have been a feat, so we decided to risk it and drive over; and there was PLENTY of parking! So don't fret about the long car line to get in for parking; there is plenty.

The church itself is ENORMOUS; we got there a little early, which gave us enough time to look at the altars and apex, and it was gorgeous. The mass itself was incredible, and we really enjoyed it and thought of it as possibly the greatest Easter mass we've been to. We'll definitely be going again!

Travelers who viewed Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary, Queen of the Universe also viewed

Orlando, Central Florida
Orlando, Central Florida

Been to Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary, Queen of the Universe? Share your experiences!