Let's get a few things straight. Walt Disney World is about a famous rodent and celebrates a famous castle that's made out of fiberglass for the purposes of making money.
Another corollary: If you don't already live on a budget at home, you won't know how to have a budget when on vacation. Therefore, you will *always* worry about money regardless of your situation.
If you understand what I've just written, then you can let yourself have a fantastic time on any vacation to Walt Disney World. And my family did.
Old Key West is (I think) the oldest property in the World. Yet, when you think, "old," you should think "character," because that's exactly what this property has -- and lots of it.
We stayed in a 1-bedroom villa (for close to 1,000 square feet, it passes as a small apartment). Since we paid cash, we received laundry service every day (there is actually a card in the room that describes this entire process, for all those who've read previous reviews with people whining and complaining about the lack of such service when on Disney Vacation Club points).
We *drove* everywhere. While I did request -- and got -- a second-story villa near a bus stop, we never used the bus. We wanted the freedom to come and go as we pleased, and that's exactly what we got. We were never more than 25 minutes from the furthest park (Animal Kingdom) and getting around the World is easy *if you follow the following three keys to getting around*:
1. Know what area your resort is located (e.g.: OKW is a Downtown Disney-located resort);
2. Know the inverse of the direction of where you want to go;
3. Know the Park you want to go to.
If you know the above three things, then you will never get lost in the World, as the signage is abundant -- assuming you pay attention as you drive.
We would recommend this resort over Saratoga Springs (where we had a quick-serve dinner one evening) simply over the fact that Saratoga Springs is abundantly sprawling. No, really: the first time you enter that resort (and it is pretty), you absolutely *must* pay attention to where you go because you will get lost otherwise. It's flat-out enormous.
Old Key West resort is truly a "hidden jem" of the Disney Resort properties. We were able to secure it at 40% off, so we went with it. Next trip to Disney will likely include this resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the romance of the Florida Keys at this tranquil community of Conch Flats-a sprawling island hamlet with shimmering waterways, swaying palm trees and manicured golf-course fairways. Delight in sun-soaked pools, casual dining and such amenities as fully equipped kitchens or kitchenettes. A peaceful tropical paradise, Disney's Old Key West Resort is also just a boat ride away from the excitement of the Downtown Disney area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Disney's Old Key West Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney`s Old Key West Hotel Orlando
- Old Key West Resort
- Disneys Old Key West Hotel
- Disney Old Key West Resort
- Key West Disney
- Disneys Old Key West Resort