“Very Clean & Nice - Stay Away From Olivia's”

Disney's Old Key West Resort
Ranked #73 of 342 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed December 20, 2006

I'm glad we spent a couple of extra bucks and stayed here. The only real negative was the onsite restaurant "Olivia's". I'll get to that in a little bit.

It was very clean and had a nice feeling to it. It was quiet and had nice, pretty grounds. It didn't have the hotel feeling to it because it's not. It felt like a vacation home. We had the smallest room, the Studio, and it was very nice and had more then enough room for me, my wife and four year old daughter. The pools were nice and they had lifeguards everywhere, which is obviously a great thing. The resort staff was very friendly and helpful, no problems at all. We almost stayed at the Swan or Carribean Beach Resort but am glad we "upgraded" to this. There's nothing wrong with liking the nicer things in life if you can afford it.

Now, here is the dining issue: We got the meal plan and although it's a deal if you were to order everything and pay for everything you get on it, it's TOO MUCH FOOD. It just keeps adding up day after day. On the table service meals, everyone gets an appitizer, dinner and desert. Hey, some people eat alot, but after EACH person getting an appitizer, we only ate half of our dinner and picked at the deserts. We ended up having 1 table service meal, 2 quick service meals and 2 snacks left over because we couldn't eat anymore. Each day you have to eat like a champ to make it worth it. So my advice is, unless you're big time eaters, skip the meal plan and just eat normal. You WILL SAVE money that way. STAY AWAY from OLIVIA'S at Old Key West. We went there the first night we got in because we were tired from traveling and didn't feel like going off site. Horrible service! They brought our daughter her little kiddie pizza and our appitizers out and we kept waiting for our entrees, all the while people who came in 30 minutes after us were getting their food. Our waiter seemed to be avoiding us and after a half hour I kept flagging him down. He said it be out soon. This went on for 20 MORE minutes and my wife and daughter left. I finally found the manager and he said they lost power in the kitchen and that was the problem. I mentioned everyone else getting their food except us. He didn't say much then. I then left. We talked to two other families that had a problem like ours the night before. STAY AWAY from Olivia's.

I would highly recommend OLD KEY WEST, it's very relaxing, just don't go to the restaurant there.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
11  Thank mranc
Write a ReviewReviews (2,631)

Reviewed December 10, 2006

As a travel agent specializing in Disney World Travel, I have sent many clients to this resort, and thought I had a good idea what to expect from the Disney Vacation Club resorts in general. I couldn't have been more wrong. This trip consisted of my husband, myself, and our 3 children. We spent 6 nights at Old Key West Dec 3-9, 2006, in a studio room.

The Good
The resort itself is visually attractive, and beautifully landscaped. The main pool looked quite fun, and was recently updated. It was tool during our stay to enjoy the pool.

The Bad
Our studio room was not large by any means. A very standard hotel room. The room itself was nothing special. Very plain. Could have been staying at Motel 6 or similar. Although the beds are advertised as Queen Size, I feel they were full-size beds. Small, and uncomfortable, with wooden frames. Good for banging your shins on. The decor was very dated. Bathroom was small with a sink, and tub/shower.

Food at Olivias was pretty good the first night, as we were starving. However, on our return trip, the steaks were way overcooked, and we really didn't enjoy it much at all.

The Boat ride to Downtown Disney "sounds" very quaint and fun. However, it runs infrequently, and is not convenient to get to from the rooms.

The Ugly
Please remember, if you do not have a car, this resort is not for you. It is a huge resort. We had to rely on the busing system to even get to the main check-in house for drinks/meals. This "internal bus" only came around about every 45 minutes. Totally unacceptable. It would take an hour to get to the Hospitality House to get a coffee in the morning. Very, very inconvenient.

The theme park buses ran about every 30-60 minutes. Then, there are 5 bus stops. The bus has to stop at each one before leaving the resort. So, after waiting 30 minutes for the bus, you are on the bus driving around the resort for another 30 minutes. It took over an hour to get anywhere. One evening, I had to exchange a dress in Downtown Disney (which is 2 minutes away). It took me 2 HOURS to get there and back, spending less than 15 minutes in the store. I waited over an hour to get a bus for my return back. The busing is just terrible.

On to the room - The bedding does not fit. The mattress pads kept slipping off. There was no fitted sheet. We ended up sleeping on the bare mattress every night. I request more bedding, and was told I would be charged for it.

There is NO HOUSEKEEPING. We stayed for 6 nights. Only one day did someone come to the room. They really must have worked hard, because when we returned we found the room exactly the way we left it - minus trash and adding 4 new towels. That was it! I called and found out you don't get housekeeping unless you spend a total of 9 nights.

We were given 4 bath towels to last for 3 days. We requested more, and were charged $6.

Check-In
A disaster. They had overbooked the resort, and couldn't find us a room. They disappeared into a back room for over an hour, and finally came out, magically finding me a room. The manager remarked "This is good for you, but bad for the next family" How nice... Then, we were overcharged for the Dining Plan. They charged me twice, which meant trip to the check-in counter, another disappearing act from the cast member into the back room for an hour, to get this fixed.

There is no "food court". There is a food coutner with an extremely limited menu. 4 choices for breakfast, and premade sandwhiches for lunch. There are no modifications allowed. I requested a breakfast sandwhich with a bagel instead of the croissant - no, can't do it, a turkey sandwhich minus the mayo - nope, sorry.

Is this really supposed to be a deluxe resort? I was frankly shocked. We have stayed at many Disney Resorts (our favorite is Animal Kingdom Lodge), and have never had this poor of service, or been this disappointed. We had an absolutely wonderful time at the parks, and really enjoyed the Christmas decorations and shows, but will not be returning to the Old Key West. I think it should cost about $59/night for what you get, perhaps less. I unfortuanely won't be able to recommend it to any of my clients either.

Hope this review helps someone trying to make a decision about where to stay. Have fun at Disney!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
34  Thank jenmillstreamtravel
Reviewed December 4, 2006

Just got back from a 5 day stay at OKW. We arrived around 11 a.m. and were able to check in with a choice of room location. We opted for building 33 on the 3rd floor, knowing it would be quiter and it was near a bus stop.
The resort is everything that people have said it was, it is beautiful, the rooms are large, and the resort is very quiet and laid-back.
Our only complaint comes from the restaurant, Olivia's.
Out of 6 people eating dinner, 3 liked and 3 didn't.
The food is disappointing compared to everywhere else we ate.
Make reservations for dinner early or there will be nowhere else to go if you want to eat at the World's restaurants.
All in all I give OKW a rating of 8.5 out of 10. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
9  Thank polaris2
Reviewed November 29, 2006

This was our 7th time there in 11 years and we never ever had one issue or problem. WE love this property so much that we are now Disney Vacation Members and proud of it. Anyone that rates this resort anything below a 4 + star is out of their minds. I highly recommend this resort and have had friends that have gone down to Florida for a vacation at WDW loved the property too. In fact, some joined the membership as well.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank jegray
Reviewed October 29, 2006

Had fantastic 2 weeks at OKW. 2nd visit and very happy to be home again. 1 BR apartment with all necessary amenities, great being able to access disney parks via buses. Food in Olivia's restaurant was a let down but not bad.
Check in and concierge excellent. Very homely and calm atmosphere.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
9  Thank drrich
Reviewed October 11, 2006

This is one of Disney's Vacation Club resorts. As always it is themed and theirs is "Key Wey". The rooms are comfortable, the service is impecible. Our air condiditoning did not work our first night and the staff moved us into a close room and comped what we had charged to the room that day. The "cast members" are always smiling and ready to make your stay the best stay. The room we stayed in had a full kitchen and sitting area. Our balcony overlooked a landscaped area. The beds were super comfortable and the room was clean. I would suggest eating off of the resort though. For the price, the food just ins't that great. You can get a better meal at a great price at Epcot.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled with family
11  Thank map06
Reviewed October 2, 2006

We have just returned from a week of Walt Disney World. This is my 11th visit to Orlando and must say this resort helped make it my most relaxing (if that is possible at Disney) WDW trip ever.
Old Key West is in the "Home Away From Home" category of offers by Disney. Our family of four stayed in the smallest unit there--the studio and had ample space for the week (9 and 10 year old boys). The studios have a microwave and small refrigerator, but the villas (various sizes) have large kitchens & living spaces.
The resort experience was community like. Because it is large, there are four stops where buses come around every 10 or 15 minutes to take you to the main house (pool, groceries, store, rentals--boats, DVD's, games---restaurants), or various theme parks and Disney locations.
We had good service and food at "Olivia's." We liked it so much we eat most of our meals there. We spent one day at the resort rather for some rest and relaxation vs. hitting the parks and activities. Well worth it.
Old Key Rest does not give you that hotel feel. It's more quiet and offers an enviornment of tranquility away from the hustle of the crowds.
By the way, late September is a very good time to go to Disney. The lines were not too bad. Most of the people were older or couples with very young children.

The main pool is fun for kids featuring a large sandcastle with a winding slide. There are several other more quiet pools scattered around the resort.

We paid $299 per night for the stuido.. There were 2 double beds so the four of us shared. One good feature was the "Disney Express" (must make reservations) a bus that picked us up at the airport and returned at the end of our stay. They played nice orientation video on the way to---and "The Incredibles" n the way back. It made the journey seem short.

Overall I would say this is probably the best Walt Disney World hotel we have ever stayed in as far as family goes.

We have stayed at Portofino Bay (Universal Studios...excellent for a couple), Gaylord Palms, Dolphin/Swan, Marriott World Center, Hyatt, Hilton & others. This is our favorite for family so far.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family