“Oh the memories”

Ranked #72 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
New Jersey
“Oh the memories”
Reviewed February 14, 2010

All in all, I loved my stay at the Old Key West resort. If I had to recommend any hotel resort at Disney though, I would have to say Beach club or Grand Floridian (if you're willing to splurge the money). We stayed at the villas with the vacation club membership, and the rooms were very spacious, but could use some refurbishing. The grounds and the pool were amazing and I got to drive a boat with my little cousin down a canal to downtown disney. Transportation wasn't really bad at all (coming from an impatient teenager) and there are ferry boats that will take you to other locations like downtown disney or epcot. If you should take your family at anytime though, do it during the spring! It's too cold during the winter as I've heard from many friends, and I went last year during the summer where it's unbearably hot, plus many European visitors tend to visit around that time so...honestly...I don't think they showered at all because some of the odors from them were inhuman (no offense to Europeans). You also run a great risk of rain during the afternoon and thunderstorms during the summer months. It's comfortly warm (around 75) during the spring and it didn't rain once, plus magic hours were amazing with barely no one being in the park at night during the spring :)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank casey25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
Sunshine State
Reviewed February 9, 2010

If you looking for a place that high glitz and lavish looks. This is not your place. If you are looking for place where you can relax and feel that you are not even in Walt Disney World...this is the place to relax and enjoy. Maybe have a nice dip in the pool or drink a Margarita while you watch the kids.

The rooms are the largest (and the least expensive) of the "Deluxe Villa" resorts. Never have had a problem with any bad smells. The cleaning crew as always been top notch when they have clean our rooms.

There is a golf course that passes through the resort so you know they have high standards for landscaping. (Yes there are parts that look like the Florida Keys with large trees and bushes.

Love going here every time with family. Its a hidden gem.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CoolBreezeInTheAir
Dundee, Scotland
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Stayed for 2 weeks in September in a studio. This is a time share location that Disney often discounts and give free dining packages with in off peak times. This was the kind of deal we got for staying at Old Key West.

The accommodation is excellent. A little dark on the inside for my liking, but there are practical reasons for that with the amount of sunshine outside! The only real complaint I have is that the beds are high off the ground! Being 5ft nothing, it can be tricky to get on top of the mattress! To get me onto the bed, I used the local phone book! ;)

The lack of comfie chairs, like a sofa or a recliner became annoying after 2 weeks and if I stayed here again, I would probably splurge on the one bedroom. The wee balcony could have been lovely except it was too hot to sit out on and we were on the end of the building facing some a/c vents anyway! Again, I think the one bedroom has a better situation as far as balcony was concerned.

The little galley kitchen was very useful for keeping breakfast foods in. I wouldn't envisage using it for much more than that. The bathroom was lovely and spacious and in an odd corner location which meant it was much more spacious than regular bathrooms.

The grounds and pools are amazing, the restaurant on site well worth a visit. All in all its an excellent resort. Would I pay full price for it, probably not but for the deal we got with free dinning and a huge discount on accommodation, I would definitely go again!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Feebarn
Pleasanton, CA
Reviewed February 3, 2010

Don’t let the word “Deluxe” fool you when used in describing Disney’s Old Key West Resort. It does not mean better. We stayed in a 2-bedroom villa at Old Key West Resort in Jan. 2010 and were extremely disappointed. We thought Disney had higher standards. Our room could definitely have used better cleaning, especially the floors. Our room looked very old, worn, dated, and in desperate need of refurbishing. I was surprised to learn that the resort opened in 1991 because our unit looked much, much older. Typically hotels totally renovate their rooms every few years, but it was obvious that was not the case here. A half-hearted attempt seemed to be made to replace some items in the room but many of the items looked original. The cheap carpeting was dirty, stained, and unraveling. The drapes looked gray with dust. The bedspreads were very thin, worn, and faded. The mattresses had little support and felt cheap. The bathroom walls, tub surrounds, and vents were sloppily spray painted with pink glossy paint. The noise from flushing the toilets was so loud it scared the living daylights out of everyone. The floors between units and the walls are paper-thin. You can hear everything including your neighbors. Bottom line, if you have higher standards and want newer and cleaner, stay elsewhere. We enjoyed staying at Disney’s Boardwalk during a previous vacation.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank angb_critic
Naples, Florida
Reviewed February 1, 2010

We had a great time with our family - our rooms were right next to each other which was great but room #3310 was not great - smelled musty, very damp feeling, needs major renovations but the resort is very convenient! Warning - the shuttle bus can be a ride from hell - what should have been a ten minute ride to Downtown Disney took over 50 minutes several times. A cab ride was $18 and 7 minutes. Even when we passed the sign for Old Key West Village the bus driver said "we have to go all the way around I cannot let you off." If you can steer clear of the shuttle bus I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank SandraRose
North West England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2010

I stay here every year and thought it was time I did another review after another excellent stay.

My husband and I had one of the spacious one-bedroom villas with a balcony overlooking the Trumbo canal. Happily, even though it was January, we hit a good spell of weather and in the afternoon it was good enough to sit outside.

Although this is the oldest vacation club resort, all the rooms I have had have been in pretty good shape with just the odd minor thing to be fixed. This time it was the lamp at one side of the bed and it was fixed quickly.

I believe the who resort is due for a refurb, which I understand, but they do not need to replace perfectly good TVs for me! I'm on vacation and a flat screen TV, while nice, is not an essential; the 2 old-style ones worked just fine. We swapped around the (heavy) 2-seater sofa for the chair and footstool and I expected to see dust/debris when we moved the sofa but no, it was clean. We did move it back before we left and had a very good reason for changing it in the first place. The internet access is free for members and we made good use of it.

We like the convenience of Old Key West with the car outside the door. Lake Buena Vista with its many dining options is very handy and we prefer to dine mostly at nearby places such as Carrabba's, the Ale House and Red Lobster which are much better value than Disney dining, although I do like the salads at Port Orleans Riverside, which is just a few minutes away by car. Despite the fully equipped kitchen and large refrigerator and ice maker, we do little more than have snacks, breakfast and store-bought pizza in the villa.

Some people dislike the firm beds here and we love them. However, I would say they could be improved with fitted sheets and new bedding such as you can get at chain hotels these days, eg Courtyard by Marriott. That's the one big area they really could improve on for me. In the 1 bedroom there is one king bed in the master suite and a sofa bed in the living room. When I next go, it will be with more family members and I have booked a 2 bedroom villa which will be as above, but with the addition of an extra bedroom with 2 queen beds and an extra bathroom.

I love the space of the accommodations here and the beauty of the resort itself. In the hot tub this year we were talking to a family who had bought at Disney's Wilderness Lodge but always stayed at OKW and wished they owned there. The previous year, it was a party of four friends who owned at the Beach Club but preferred to stay at Old Key West. When you get to a time when the parks are less important to you (and I know there are those for whom that would never happen regardless of age) then a spacious, lovely laid-back resort like Old Key West comes into its own.

For the record, I also own at Disney's Boardwalk Villas and also use those points at Old Key West. It all depends on what you want from a vacation.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank twasbrillig4
Hopkinton, Ma
Reviewed January 17, 2010

Just returned from 7 day stay..We are DVC members and this is our favorite resort after trying a few.
Our 1 bedroom suite was extremely clean and spacious. Comfortable sofa bed for my son. We were far away from the main area and bell services was prompt and courteous in transporting us with our luggage. Pool was nicely heated. Gym was all state of the art equipment. Grounds are nicely kept and complimentary bus service to parks was quick and easy. Heat and A/C in room worked very well. Love the whirlpool tub.
Minor problems: Batteries in DVD remote were dead. Trash and Towel service mid week replaced all essentials except coffee, sugar, half and half. (luckily, we had our own) Washing machine worked only on the "medium load" setting-seemed to not agitate clothes on all other settings. Boat rental prices were insanely expensive. Aracade is basically a closet with a few video games. General store does not offer much in the way of food supplies but does have some nice gifts.
We have not tried the restaurants on property. We recommend Garden Grocer for grocery delivery. We ate like we do at home and enjoyed cooking in our room and eating on our patio.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family