Disney's Old Key West Resort
Ranked #74 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed November 8, 2009

Spent 5 lovely nights at Old Key West
This is my favourite of all the Disney resorts as you actually feel like you're in a tropical resort somewhere rather than just a hotel. Our villa was great, we had one bedroom with a sleeper sofa in the lounge. Loads of room for 3 of us and we didnt see any signs of wear and tear even though the property is one of the older ones.
Our balcony overlooked oneof the smaller pools which was nice and quiet and we had a bus stop right across the road. We could walk to the main part of the hotel in less than 5 mins which had a nice boat service to Downtown Disney which makes a nice change from the buses.
We love Old Key West and would recommend it to anyone who wants a bit of peace and quiet after the parks

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank karensolihull
Write a ReviewReviews (2,631)

Reviewed November 6, 2009

I love to travel, and I have to have the best. I am spoiled and I know it. I want to be comfortable, and if it costs extra, I am worth it. I decided to give Old Key West a try because of the size of the rooms. I was a bit nervous, as it is further from parks. I loved the location of the Boardwalk, but was not happy with the rooms. So I had to decide which was more important to me. I chose the size of the room, as I was traveling with family. I booked a one bedroom suite. It was a good size, and the washer and dryer, was the best. If you book this, dont take as much change of clothes, and save on packing. I found we almost always just wore shorts, and a pair of jeans, to get us back home. I would suggest a car, if you are spoiled like I am. I did take the bus to the MK Halloween party, because I knew we would be closing the park, and didnt want to drive in the dark late and tired and get lost. It's tricky sometimes getting around. Also there is a Super Walmart, which I must of went to about 3 times for supplies. Tip: If you have a laptop and need to do any work, you better bring it, because they have no office center here. I had to pay a bill last second, and had to drive to a 24 hr, Fed Ex which was a pain. Overall I would stay again, but in a 2 bedroom suite, as bigger is always better for me. Expect to pay $$$$ with the Disney Dining Plan, Rental Car, Disney Hopper Park Tickets, and Resort Fee, along with gratuity fees, as they are not included in the Dining Plan. Also extra fees for any parties or functions. However, you will be hooked. It is also a safe place for teenagers. My kids are tweens now, but as protective as I am, Disney might be the only place I would feel good about them being out and about on property alone. Plenty of security, and great transportation. Disney is the place where you can be a kid again no matter what age. Have fun, life is short!!

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2009

This was my first visit to Disney world in 20 years and my husbands first visit. We loved Old Key West! The staff was very, very friendly. Upon arrival our room was not ready. ( we arrived very early) So we headed down to Down Town Disney for lunch. We received a page when our room was ready while we ate lunch and headed back a few hours later and had a bellhop take us to the Studio that we were staying at. Our bags were there waiting for us. The rooms are a good size, plenty of room for two adults to move around without being underfoot. The room was clean no problems there. I noticed that we did not have any shampoo in the room so when we were in the lobby I had requested it and by the time we walked back to the room we had 4 bottles in the bathroom! Good Job! I do see that other people have made references to the conditions that the rooms are in need of refurbishment and I can say yes they are a little outdated. Some new rugs, paint, prints etc. Could do, but for the amount of time you spend in the room I did not find it a problem. As long as it is clean! As for the location of our room it was GREAT, we were within walking distance to the lobby, off of Old Turtle pond Rd. building 35. Every morning we would walk to Olivia’s for breakfast and then hop on the buses and go about our day. Olivia's Cafe has a great breakfast menue and we tried something new everyday. We did not have any other meals there. We were also very close to the bus stop so that was great as well. Our room was situated in the back of the building so we did not hear much bus noise at all. We were also very close to the community pool that we visited one evening. We liked the Condo feel of the layout. It was very quiet we never hear any noise from the neighbors. Unlike staying in a hotel with hallways with noisy people getting off elevators with children running down the hallways screaming at night. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would visit again any time! See ya soon!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2009

We stayed at OKW for the first time on Labor Day weekend, in a one-bedroom villa. There were three of us (2 parents, 12-year old son). The villa was extremely large and well laid out. The kitchen/dining area is bigger than I have at home! The window treatments were a little worn, but overall the villa was very well-maintained and clean. The best part was the view. We were at the far end of Miller Road, facing Downtown Disney across the golf course and pond, and we had a beautiful, sweeping, pastoral view. On the horizon we could see the hot air balloon at DTD rise and fall. It was lovely.

We were so impressed by the villa, we decided to try the studio on a weekend visit the following month (October). I requested Turtle Pond Road near Epcot, but couldn't get it. I got Turtle Pond near the main road. We had a tiny balcony, but our view was of the air conditioning units (4 of them). The room layout of a studio is a little strange, and although they have more square footage than studios at other Disney DVC resorts, it didn't feel bigger. The overall feel of the studio was worn out and dated, unlike the villa we had stayed in earlier. On the plus side, the Village Pool on Turtle Pond Road was great and not far from our studio.

If I were to stay again, I would get a 1- or 2-BR villa, not a studio, and request Turtle Pond again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank GiraffeMom
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We were pleasantly suprised when we arrived at Old Key West. The pictures we had seen and the reviews did not do the resort justice. It is lovely and quaint, quiet and clean. We had a one bedroom with full kitchen, washer/dryer, balcony with great view and fabulous jacuzzi tub! The decor is older but our room was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. My only room complaint was the pillows, too small and too smooshy but there were plenty of them!
As to service, for the most part it was okay but the internal bus service was not explained to us and we didn't get it figured out for a few days. We also didn't know we could take the boat to Downtown Disney; the sign near the boat implies it is for the exclusive use of Disney Vacation Club members. Tip - if you are at the hospitality center and need to get back to your room, the Downtown Disney bus goes back through the property; just check with the driver...you won't get stuck waiting for the internal bus, (which can be as long as an hour...)!
Our room was ready early, which was great and the staff for the most part was extremely helpful. Everyone was kind and always ready to help if need be from the front desk to the gift shop
The main restaurant, Olivia's, is okay. My husband loved each meal, (we ate there 3 times), I was not as impressed but it wasn't bad by any means. I can't say the restaurant staff was so great...we had a couple of new people and even though they were not busy at the times we were there, our service was very slow and pretty screwed up. We almost missed our bus to the airport on the last day.

The weather was extremely hot and muggy during our stay so the pool was a great feature for us. I would highly recommend the smaller pool near Turtle Pond for adults. It's a great little cooling off spot with a pool side bar.

I gave the value just 3 marks because if you are at a Disney resort, obviously you are going to spend most of your time at the parks and, if you aren't on a meal plan, the restaurant prices are ridiculously high. Since we had a meal plan, we didn't care about the food prices but I heard a number of other guests complaining.

Overall, I would most certainly recommend this resort. Just be sure the plan at least one day to spend at the resort itself to get all you can out of it!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2009

My mom, sister and I went to Walt Disney World for a short stay over Labor Day weekend. We stayed at Disney's Old Key West Resort. We originally booked a studio room, but were upgraded to a two bedroom suite. The room was plenty spacious for the three of us. It included two bedrooms and two full baths, a full (and stocked) kitchen, living room, dining room and private balcony/patio. The decor was very "key west", but clean and cozy. Since we were cash paying customers, opposed to the DVC members, we received mousekeeping on a daily basis. Service was nothing to complain about.

This resort is not short of any ammenities. There was a pool just outside our room and also the main pool at the hospitality house. Both were clean and cool. The hospitality house also housed a full service restaurant (Olivia's) and the counter service. The general store was also located there that carried all your basic needs from souvies to groceries and first aid. All the CM's were friendly and helpful.

The downside to this resort is how spread out it is. Unless you have a car or hop a bus, you may have a long walk to the hospitality house. If you have special needs I would request a room close to HH. Also the bus system can be a bit confusing, but once you get the hang of it, things aren't so bad.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Old Key West Resort has a lovely setting. However, my daughter and I had a few problems during our stay. When we entered our studio we noticed that the air vent cover was hanging down from for ceiling. When we attempted to take a shower in the evening there was no hot water. When housekeeping was notified I was told to let the hot water run. The next day I called again, but the situation remained unchanged. Also, the resort is quite spread out making it difficult to use the main pool at the entrance of the resort, although there are "quiet pools" at other areas of the resort

• Stayed: September 2009