“The vacation in Hell!!!!”

Disney's Old Key West Resort
Ranked #71 of 340 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Our family arrived at Old Key West on June 17th. We quickly unpacked and left to keep up with our plans for that day. I noticed that it seemed to be quite warm in the villa. However, we went to a park, returned and left to go to the Medievial dinner and show. Returning to the Villa around 10p.m. it was very warm. We went to bed, got up on the 18th. and it was very hot. We left to get to a park early. My husband and I returned to the Villa and found it to now be about 80 degrees. We called the desk. Day shift maintenance foreperson (a woman) arrived after a while. She started to work on the a.c.
We left. We came back around 6:45 p.m. It was now 82 degrees. 2nd. shift Foreman, arrived after our call. He said that he knew nothing about the problem. Finally around midnight the a.c. was fixed. My husband and I both broke out in some kind of rash. My husband's got better after we left. Mine got worse. Another family who only had a problem with one bedroom not getting a.c. were given box a.c.'s, and lots of other goodies. When we checked out, the day shift manager told me that it would do no good to write a letter or send an e-mail as it would only be forwarded to the maintenance dept. so we had better settle up with her. She then proceded to offer us a $250.00 credit toward our next stay at WDW. For the sake of brevity, I have not mentioned all of the problems that we had at Old Key West. We did not accept the $250.00 credit because if you have just spent a vacation in hell, who wants to go back to hell again?? People are not treated the same at this place. Just as the Manager said, the letter that I wrote did not get a response. This is suppose to be a Magical place???? The Hampton Inns where we stayed for much less money on the rest of our trip were much better.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank Samuel1Liz2
Write a ReviewReviews (2,677)

Reviewed August 8, 2009

You'd do much better at Animal Kingdom Lodge or any other deluxe Disney Resort. OKW is run down and its age shows. The arcade is very small, and the quick service restaurant barely exists. If you've stayed at Saratoga Springs, Bay Lake, or even the moderate resorts, you will be disappointed. You may have a nice view of LBV golf course and the surrounding woods, which is a plus.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank robnhl
Reviewed August 4, 2009

It has all the amenities plus. Because of the heat, the aircondition was a welcome respite and boy can it blow!! All the utensils are clean. The coffee amenities(creamer and sugar) are NOT cheap. The stove and the kitchen are clean and spotless. The wine glasses in the cabinet did not have any deteregent stains. There were enough pillows and blankets for all. The beds were very soft and comfortable. We had a balcony were my daughter amused herself by watching the duck and ducklings play in a creek behind our room. The masters bedroom has a very good jacuzzi that I used almost everyday.

The Room was a perfect accomodation for 9. (Thats right. nine persons)

The only thing I didnt like was our Room's distance vis-a-vis the Hospitality center. But that could be easily arranged when one checks in and requests it. Plus there were buses that ran between between the Hospitality Center and our room every 20 minutes so it wasn't a problem at all and easily overlooked.

3  Thank eugene712
Reviewed August 3, 2009

This is the original Disney Vacation Club resort. It shows a bit. However Disney never disappoints.

If you have small kids I would stay here. The pool in huge and kid friendly. There is a game room and regular activities at the pool area with the staff. Best family DVC resort.

I like the bar here. Police/fire and armed forces patches on the wall. Big plus for me.

Everything you would expect from disney. The rooms here are cheaper and you get all the same disney frills. You must stay at a disney resort if you are going to Walt Disney World!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PaulandTara
Reviewed August 2, 2009

My family and I stayed at OKW last week. I rented points from a DVC member (the only way we could afford to stay here!) and we had a studio room. The room was larger than the other Disney resort rooms we have stayed in (Port Orleans French Quarter and Wilderness Lodge) and had a refrigerator/microwave/sink area. The bathroom was larger, as well. The room was very clean and decorated nicely, and the beds were queen sized and very comfortable. We stayed in unit 16 which is within walking distance to the main hospitality house and pool and was very convenient. The landscaping is wonderful and we had a nice view of the golf course from our balcony. The pool has a great waterslide that your children will love and is very clean with several appointed lifeguards. There was also a large hot tub area as well as a sauna near the pool area. Towels were available for your pool use and there were lots of lounge chairs and tables. There is no food court at OKW, but there is a snack bar area near the pool and an onsite restaurant, Olivia's. We didn't eat there, but it was available to us if we had wanted to. We will stay at OKW again!

4  Thank ALteacherK
Reviewed August 1, 2009

I was so excited to be staying at this resort as I had heard and read so much about it. After waiting 3 1/2 hours for our room to be made up we were given a studio in buidling 19. Opened the door to find that it still hadn't been cleaned and that it smelled like mildrew/mold. Went back to Guest Services where they found us another room in Building 18 which was just as bad with the smell. After staying in the room for about 30 minutes we headed off to the parks. We returned after midnight but I knew I was going to have to change rooms to something newer in the morning as my daughter started having issues with her asthma because of the mold. I went to Guest Services where the Supervisor was great. She couldn't find me a renovated room to I just told her to move me to a newer resort. We hated to leave OKW as the grounds were wonderful and the staff was so friendly but with a child who has breathing issues, we couldn't stay.
Our reservation was changed to Saratoga Springs, where we are now. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! No mildew/mold smell, close to the bus stop and pool and the room is great with a nice balcony.
I just wanted to let those of you that have breathing difficulties or allergies to mold know that you probably should stay somewhere other than the OKW.

3  Thank AAORD1
Reviewed July 22, 2009

We just returned from our third stay at Disney Old Key West. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa in building 28, this villa was a great size for our family of 5, king bed in the master bdrm and 2 queen beds in the other bdrm. We found that bus service was excellent, we never waited more than 10 minutes for any of the park buses - we visited all 4 parks. This was our first time on the dining plan, it is great value, but you really end up over-eating; I would never usually order dessert with lunch but it's included so I ate it anyways. The room and housekeeping were fantastic, we required a repair to our unit and when the issue was brought to the attention of the manager Anthony, the matter was resolved immediately.
OKW is the oldest vacation club resort at Disney, so while it may be showing its age a little, it rewards you with the most space / biggest rooms, pretty Floridian decor, a fantastic pool with waterslide, convenient Disney transportation and some of the friendliest staff we have ever met.

1  Thank JOM_Dad