“Nothing but good things!”

Disney's Old Key West Resort
Ranked #71 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed January 18, 2009

We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa at Disney's Old Key West resort from Jan 10-17, 2009. All and all, we loved it! The grounds are beautiful, the pools are warm (which was good because we got some chilly weather) and it's very family friendly! We were 4 adults and 2 kids under 4 and we had a ton of space. To say that the unit was roomy would be an understatement! We were in building 54 which is close to the smallest pool, but we loved it because you could just take the kids across the street and the pool was very quiet. I think I would have preferred to be a bit closer to the main pool, but we can do that next time! The main pool area is busy & full of energy, which I loved! They show movies on certain nights outside which I thought was very cool!

We ate at Olivias, and I will say, I didn't love it. It was ok, but too small of a menu & very pricey. However, the meal that I did order was beautifully presented & they had good options for the kids.

All and all, we had a great stay! I have nothing but great things to say & would definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank lindsaymo

Reviewed January 3, 2009

The hotel is OK. We had a studio that was looking dated, with a few issues burned out bulbs lack of cups, plates, paper goods etc. The grounds are really nice and well kept. The staff was very friendly. Enjoyed all aspects of the stay with the the exception of the room, odd thing was there were 2 beds one really comfortable and the other like a rock.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Thank atlanta.david
Reviewed December 31, 2008

My hubby and I stayed here from December 3-10th. First off I wanna start by saying we used a family members Disney Vacation Club points.We arrived in Orlando on the 2nd but stayed at All Stay Sports for one night before checking into OKW on the 3rd. Check in was fine except the gentleman behind the desk spoke such broken English we could not understand him. We get to our room and immediately the smell of bleach almost knocks us over. I ran to open the patio door before we passed out and there in the bed room were standing two maintenance men and they just looked at us and began to walk out. I said EXCUSE ME and they responded with " it only smells like that cause the cleaning girl was just here, its ok... REALLY there are no problems here" then the two men rushed out the door. We immediately called the front desk I told them all star sports, having now stayed there on 2 separate occasions was a palace compared to this dump. They told us they apologized for the smell but that's how you get all the mold from the OLD showers to not show OR smell. WE changed to a new room. this new room was MUCH better. VERY CLEAN and no bleach smell YAHOO!! the only complaint we have about this room was the noise from our neighbors with a very unhappy child for most of the trip. On a better note Olivia's was DELICIOUS. We are here after a long day at the park and it really just hit the spot and our waitress was super sweet. I also want to add the people working at the gift shop store were all so friendly. Over all we will not be going back to old key west the bed was hard and I felt like I needed a vacation from my vacation..NOT AGAIN

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rkptwife
Reviewed December 27, 2008

After reading the reviews, I hesitantly booked this resort, and I am so glad I did! Before I even walked into the lobby, I was greeted by a porter who simply said "welcome home". It definitely felt like home! The villa was roomy enough for my husband and me and the 3 kids, and everything was so unbelievably comfortable that I had the best sleep I have ever had away from home. Even the fold out bed was comfortable! It was also so quiet. There were no sounds of people running in the hallways or slamming doors. To top it off, we had a washer/dryer in our room, which comes in handy when traveling with a 1 year old that wears her food more than she eats it! Overall, it was a fantastic experience, and I look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank luvinthesunMiami
Reviewed December 6, 2008

Read the reviews for Disney's Old Key West and was excited to go but also a little leery. My prior timeshare experience was at Marriotts Cypress Harbour (which is excellent) so i knew i would be making comparisons. Cyprees Harbour wins in some aspects, OKW in others.
First off, if you are gonna go to Disney, you have to stay on Disney property. For the excellent transportation alone, it is worth the price. It beats renting a car and paying for parking everyday. With that said, staying at a timeshare is kind of a waste if you're going to parks all day long. But as far as timeshares go, OKW was nice and big. The newer Disney Timeshares, from what i am told, are not as spacious as OKW. The Kitchen area opened up into the dining area and the living room area. Very nice and warm. The amenities were nice, the couch had one rip in it, but it was really no big deal. Bathrooms were spacious and clean and functioning. The Jacuzzi tub was excellent, especially since the temp dipped to the 40's the week we were there. Carpets were clean, washer dryer worked, coffe pot worked. What else do you need.
As far as the grounds go, they were very clean yet could be somewhat confusing. OKW isn't built in a circular pattern, like some other places. So the Hospitality house/General store/restaurant area could be a little far depending on where you were located. We were in the middle of the resort and it would have been nicer to have it a lil bit closer. But there was another pool area nearby with a snack shop/grill open during the day. As far as the genaral store goes, they have pretty much everything you need, the prices, other than beer, were reasonable, although we did pack some coffee(forgot the filters!!) before we left from home. The main pool area was nice and had a great slide, and a ton of lifegaurds always circling. Lots of activities to do as well. People who knocked this resort, I can't imgine it being that bad. I though it was a great place to stay.
With that said, i also need to add that i traded for this timeshare, and didn't pay the $680 a night during the off season for the 2 bedroom suite i stayed in. If i had paid that, i'm sure i may have been a little harsher, but not much.
One more piece of advice...If this is your first trip to Disney, stay at the cheapest hotels (value resorts) because you probably won't be in the room more than for a shower and sleep anyway. If you're going to Disney to NOT go to the parks, but maybe to enjoy some Florida sunshine and everything else that is NOT in the parks, OKW will suit you just fine.
Any questions, feel free to email me.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Rob T
Reviewed December 4, 2008

We just returned from a week at Disney World and stayed at Old Key West. My husband and myself, along with our 8 year old daughter traveled with my husband's brother and sister-in-law and their two sons (ages 8 and 5 1/2). My sister (age 48) also joined us on this trip. We booked a 2 bedroom Villa for all of the children and the couples and then my sister booked a Studio for herself. Before we left, I had requested that her Studio be as close to our Villa as possible. I knew they could not be right next door because the property is not set up that way. When we arrived though, we found out that my sister's Studio was on the other side of the property compared to where our Villa was. Thankfully the front desk woman was great in switching her Studio to a couple of streets away. Our 2 bedroom Villa was very nice and, for the most part clean. You could definitely tell that the place needed a bit of updating. My main two complaints were (1) the size of the property and how much walking you had to do to get to the hospitality area (general store, restaurants, etc.) Also, all of the Villas and suites look pretty much alike so it is very easy to get lost. There are, of course, room/suite numbers and signs located everywhere, but even they are a bit confusing. Finally, my last and biggest complaint was the bus service. One morning, we had to wait about 40 minutes at the Old Key West property for a bus to the Magic Kingdom. It was terrible. Every other bus was arriving (Epcot, Downtown Disney, Animal Kindgom), but not Magic Kingdom. We finally complained to the Manager and he told us if that ever happened, that we needed to come into the front desk and tell someone after we had been waiting about 30 minutes. Well, a bunch of us had already done that! Anyway, on the other side, we had to wait a couple of times at the parks for our bus to pick us up and take us back to our hotel. Prime Example: The last night we were there, Tuesday night, was Mickey's Very Merry Christmas, which is a very special exclusive event at Magic Kingdom. The park was open until Midnight. The line for the bus that night was the longest we had seen. Our hotel should have had at least two buses waiting for us when the party was over. That was not the case. We all had to wait at least 30 minutes in the cold (about 60-70people) for our 1 bus to arrive. In the meantime, all around us, all other hotel buses were picking up their guests and some of those hotels were coming back with 2 or 3 buses. It was ridiculous. Finally, when our 1 bus arrived, everyone cheered. Our party got on the first bus. They still had to leave a bunch of people in line for the next Key West bus to arrive. Those guests waiting in the cold that we left behind were not happy to say the least. My point is that you would think that Old Key West would have had at least 2 buses ready and waiting for their guests on a special night like that when they knew it would be crowded. Now I know that December is not the most crowded time of the year, but we are still paying pretty big money to stay in that resort, even in December.

Bottom line: I know that my family/sister will not be going back to Old Key West. We will be saving our money up next time (we will have to save up a lot of money for next time) and we will be staying at the Polynesian Hotel. We went there one night for dinner at The O'Hana Restaurant. We were on the basic dining plan (good idea and good way to save money but tons of food and too much of it). It was the best dinner we ever had on our entire trip and they entertained the children and it was such a fun family atmosphere and such a warm and friendly place. That is definitely our next destination.

Therefore, I would not recommend Old Key West. It suited our needs (with our large party). It worked out well enough. But the bus service was definitely way below average, the staff was just friendly enough but definitely not Disney friendly, and it was too much walking around to get to your destination (definitely not easy access to the general store/gift shop, restaurant, snack stand).

Last point/Warning: Regarding the dining plan: We were not warned about this. If you are with a party of 8, they automatically add a 18% gratuity to your meal, whereas if you are just sitting/having a meal with a party of less than 8, you can tip what you want. This certainly added to our cost for sure. We totally forgot about the tips when it came to our dining plans. I guess that was not smart on our part, but just a warning to everyone to remember that when you think you have paid for everything on your trip before you come, bring extra money or credit card, b/c you will have to pay for tips on meals.

Overall, we had a great trip at Disney. We did everything we wanted to do at all the Theme Parks, but we came home exhausted. We went for 5 nights and 6 days (and two of those days were mostly travel days) I think to not come home totally exhausted, you need to stay at Disney for 7 nights and 8 days. That way, you can do everything you need to do and be exhausted and then have a day or two to rest or just shop. The problem is it's so expensive to stay at Disney for that long.

Anyway, hope this long review helps.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank OneChild
Reviewed December 2, 2008

Our family of 6 stayed at Old Key West from Nov. 16-21. We rented the unit from a DVC owner for a reasonable rate...the same cost as 2 connecting rooms at a moderate resort.

We arrived early and our room wasn't ready, so we checked our bags and headed out for the day.

When we returned, a simple phone call to Bell Services had our bags in our villa in 10 minutes, or so.

Our 2 bdr. villa was enormous! It was an apartment, not a hotel room. It had 2 large bedrooms; one king master suite and another large bedroom with 2 queens. There was a fully equipped, FULL kitchen, living room with sofa sleeper, laundry room and 2 full baths.

The laundry room was a huge plus! I did a little laundry every night, so when I packed to return home, I had NO dirty laundry to lug home to wash. Loved that!

We LOVED it! I can't say a bad thing about it. Our views from the 3rd floor balcony were gorgeous. The weather was chilly, but our resort made up for it in charm.

Island and Buffett music played in all the common areas, giving it a real 'island vibe'. We used the water taxi to go to Downtown Disney several times.

The pool was great, too. What more can I say? I'd even consider buying into the DVC...that's how impressed we were.

I highly recommend it!