We stayed at Disney's Old Key West as part of our honeymoon trip down the East Coast of the US. We booked in advance so got a good deal which included park tickets, a meal plan and other perks including a book of vouchers. I must say that I would have found it to be bad value for money had we not had these extras included in the special offer and I honestly don't know how families afford it, especially if they don't have a meal plan included.
When we arrived, we were told it was a very busy check in time (lunchtime on a Sunday out of season?!) and so we waited in a queue to check in for around 15-20 minutes. When we got checked in the member of staff was very pleasant but seemed a bit under experienced and I asked quite a few questions as he didn't really explain all the details very well. This was obvious at the end of the week when we were told on the last day of our stay that we should have been given a refillable cup for the duration among other details left off!
Once we were sorted we were taken to our room by another very nice member of staff. When we arrived however the room was closest to the main road outside the resort so was very noisy and was a disabled room with a roll in shower and no bath. Considering they knew we were on our honeymoon this was not a particularly romantic room! Furthermore as it was a quiet time at Disney I'm unsure why we were shoved in the corner of the resort as there seemed to be plenty of spare rooms. We asked to be moved and were and were much happier with the second room.
The room was sufficient and was a nice size with most things you could need. However I think considering it's one of the nicer resorts the rooms are still quite plain and nothing luxurious. Therefore I probably wouldn't recommend staying in one of the lower grade resorts if you are going as a couple or with friends.
We had a few issues with communication during our stay which we were surprised about as Disney are known for their customer service. Firstly, a pack was sent to our home in the UK with vouchers etc in. As we were already in the US when this arrived we obviously didn't receive it. We rang ahead to ask if this would be a problem and were told no. When we arrived we were told our vouchers were dealt with by another party (although we had booked the whole stay through the Disney website) and following a few phone calls and visits to the front desk we finally got our vouchers half way through our stay. Then we couldn't use some of them as it was too late for certain things that needed booking at the beginning!! We also called from our room regarding laundry. We were passed from pillar to post and no-one seemed to be able to tell us how much it would cost to have items cleaned although it's advertised clearly as a service. We eventually got the answer a few days in to our stay but by this time we had given up and used the on site washing machines near one of the pools.
The rest of the stay was fine. The resort is kept in an immaculate condition and feels very safe and is quiet at all times of day. The pools were nice and the snack bars, shop and bar were all good. One very nice feature was the complimentary boat from the resort to Downtown Disney which we took on our last night. It was a really nice way to travel after the many over AC'd shuttle buses!
Unfortunately I can't compare OKW to other resorts as it's the only one I have stayed in but it was very nice and I can see how it would suit families as there is so much to occupy kids for a couple of weeks. I would say though that overall we didn't quite get the 'magic' we were expecting from Disney.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the romance of the Florida Keys at this tranquil community of Conch Flats-a sprawling island hamlet with shimmering waterways, swaying palm trees and manicured golf-course fairways. Delight in sun-soaked pools, casual dining and such amenities as fully equipped kitchens or kitchenettes. A peaceful tropical paradise, Disney's Old Key West Resort is also just a boat ride away from the excitement of the Downtown Disney area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Disney's Old Key West Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disney`s Old Key West Hotel Orlando
- Old Key West Resort
- Disneys Old Key West Hotel
- Disney Old Key West Resort
- Key West Disney
- Disneys Old Key West Resort