“Good, but could be better”

Disney's Old Key West Resort
Ranked #71 of 341 Hotels in Orlando
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed at Disney's Old Key West as part of our honeymoon trip down the East Coast of the US. We booked in advance so got a good deal which included park tickets, a meal plan and other perks including a book of vouchers. I must say that I would have found it to be bad value for money had we not had these extras included in the special offer and I honestly don't know how families afford it, especially if they don't have a meal plan included.
When we arrived, we were told it was a very busy check in time (lunchtime on a Sunday out of season?!) and so we waited in a queue to check in for around 15-20 minutes. When we got checked in the member of staff was very pleasant but seemed a bit under experienced and I asked quite a few questions as he didn't really explain all the details very well. This was obvious at the end of the week when we were told on the last day of our stay that we should have been given a refillable cup for the duration among other details left off!
Once we were sorted we were taken to our room by another very nice member of staff. When we arrived however the room was closest to the main road outside the resort so was very noisy and was a disabled room with a roll in shower and no bath. Considering they knew we were on our honeymoon this was not a particularly romantic room! Furthermore as it was a quiet time at Disney I'm unsure why we were shoved in the corner of the resort as there seemed to be plenty of spare rooms. We asked to be moved and were and were much happier with the second room.
The room was sufficient and was a nice size with most things you could need. However I think considering it's one of the nicer resorts the rooms are still quite plain and nothing luxurious. Therefore I probably wouldn't recommend staying in one of the lower grade resorts if you are going as a couple or with friends.
We had a few issues with communication during our stay which we were surprised about as Disney are known for their customer service. Firstly, a pack was sent to our home in the UK with vouchers etc in. As we were already in the US when this arrived we obviously didn't receive it. We rang ahead to ask if this would be a problem and were told no. When we arrived we were told our vouchers were dealt with by another party (although we had booked the whole stay through the Disney website) and following a few phone calls and visits to the front desk we finally got our vouchers half way through our stay. Then we couldn't use some of them as it was too late for certain things that needed booking at the beginning!! We also called from our room regarding laundry. We were passed from pillar to post and no-one seemed to be able to tell us how much it would cost to have items cleaned although it's advertised clearly as a service. We eventually got the answer a few days in to our stay but by this time we had given up and used the on site washing machines near one of the pools.
The rest of the stay was fine. The resort is kept in an immaculate condition and feels very safe and is quiet at all times of day. The pools were nice and the snack bars, shop and bar were all good. One very nice feature was the complimentary boat from the resort to Downtown Disney which we took on our last night. It was a really nice way to travel after the many over AC'd shuttle buses!
Unfortunately I can't compare OKW to other resorts as it's the only one I have stayed in but it was very nice and I can see how it would suit families as there is so much to occupy kids for a couple of weeks. I would say though that overall we didn't quite get the 'magic' we were expecting from Disney.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JennyD242

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Everything is so well taken care of. It is clean, roomy and all the appliances in very good working order. On arrival, we asked if we could stay on the top floor. Upon our return from Downtown Disney a couple of hours later, everything was ready for us. No worries, no hassle.
The swimming pool is nice to cool off after a day in the Parks.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank IslandGirl_Laura
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Being a DVC member, I've stayed at Old Key West many times. It's the most laid back of the Disney resorts. It's off the beaten path, being located away from the parks, so it's a little less hustle bustle.

The rooms are the biggest of the DVC resorts. The 2 bedroom is my favorite. Plenty of room to stretch out and relax. We're not park commandos anymore so we appreciate the amenities that OKW offers and spend a lot of time at the resort.

One of Disney's hidden gems is located here. Olivia's has great food in a Key West themed restaurant and is usually only half full. It's always easy to grab breakfast, lunch or dinner here.

Another plus is Downtown Disney being a short boat ride away. So that opens up even more dining options.

Welcome Home, indeed!...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Jim S
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We were in a two bedroom villa, building 32, for 8 nights. The building we were in was located directly behind a bus stop. It worked out great for us. The longest we waited on a bus was 10 minutes our entire stay.
Our villa was spacious and nice. The A/C would freeze you out (perfect for me). The king size bed slept was comfortable, or we may have been just so tired each day we didn't know the difference. The outside deck was very nice with a great view of the golf coarse and pond. We seen ducks, rabbits, squirrels, blue jays, crows, and doves all within 20' away from our balcony while we played cards and just had a fun time. Found it to be one of most relaxed trips. The room does not have an elevator but the only time it was even an issue was when we unloaded and loaded our vehicle and with four children we had a bunch.

Bottom line... I highly recommend Old Key West. I like it a lot better than Saratoga Springs and even the Tree House Villas. In March I paid twice as much for my stay at a two bedroom villa at the Animal Kingdom Lodge with a Savannah View for 6 nights vs. 8 nights at Old Key West and I received an Annual Pass-holder discount for each stay. I will luge my luggage of 3 flights of stairs, to save over $4000... Wouldn't You???

In the past we have vacationed at The Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge Villas, Polynesian, The Contemporary, Saratoga Springs twice, Shades of Green, Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas twice and Bay Lake Towers...

Old Key West ranks 2nd in my pick behind Bay Lake Towers mainly due to convenience but my Wife has it as her #1 overall pick ~ mainly due to comfort and room.

So it's not like we don't know what we talking about.

We had a great stay!!! What more can I say!!! Good luck with yours...

(Be sure to request a building as close to a bus stop as possible)

• Stayed: July 2013
16  Thank PARTYofSIXplusONE
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I've stayed in both a studio & 1 bedroom & the studio is huge. I love the pool, & both the snack area & bar are conveniently located right near it. The water slide is a big hit with the kiddies & the games they provide are just as entertaining. I was last here back in August 2012 & would recommend this wonderful, relaxing resort to all considering it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank look1angel
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Second year running here - it's fab. It's always clean, service s great and very welcoming ... The signs say 'welcome home" and that's exactly how it feels! There's always lots of fresh, soft white towels - whether in the condo, by the pool, or in the bathrooms to shower after you've checked out. And the best bit?? No tour parties :-)

Also ... Possibly the comfiest beds in the world ...

Room Tip: If you don't have small kids ask to be near turtle pond ... Quieter, with its own little pool an...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Michelle R
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The size and comfort of these rentals are what set them apart from other Disney resorts -- the price was reasonable in comparison to much smaller/more expensive resorts on the monorail. The 2 bedroom was huge: large bedrooms, nice living room / dining space, updated kitchen. Well appointed and comfortable. This was ideal for us- four adults and one kid. The kitchen was great to have: we had a relaxing breakfast and coffee in the morning.

The location is closest to downtown Disney, but unless you stay on the monorail I'd recommend renting a car. That made our days much easier than depending on the bus system.

This resort is also a time share and set up like condos. There are three floors in each building. We were on the 3rd floor and it was very quiet. But there are no elevators. Request a first floor if stairs are an issue.

Room Tip: The resort is sprawling. If the pools are important, you might want to request a room closest to one...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family