“A five star resort”

Ranked #71 of 338 Hotels in Orlando
London, United Kingdom
“A five star resort”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We will never forget our week in Old Key West which I simply cannot fault. From the friendly, stress free check in process to the immaculately clean guest rooms, Old Key West is exceptional. It offers something for everyone, for the kids who capture the water slide from the pirates every morning to quieter activities for those wanting time out from the parks.

Unlike other locations within WDW, the resort is surprisingly quiet and this adds to its charm. Our lake view room was perfect!

A couple of hints; Firstly, this resort is massive. If you get the motor coach from Peninsular Road be prepared for a long ride round the resort - we found it better to catch the bus by the 'Hospitality House', Secondly: Take time out to enjoy the resort, the main pool is well supervised and we found it to be quite quiet during our stay.

A truly memorable stay (and we would go back if we get the oppurtunity)- Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask to be located near the Hospitality house
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mat R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
Hatfield, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We are members of Disney's Vacation Club and our "home" resort is Old Key West (OKW). Although the vacation club enables you to stay at other resorts, this is truly our home away from home. We like how the resort is spread-out across multiple buildings, not centralized in one building. The surroundings are normally quiet - not overwhelming with a bunch of kids. For families with small kids, you are probably better off going to a value-based theme hotel, but for us OKW meets our needs. There is Olivia's, which is a restaurant located at the Hospitality House - which is also where they have the main pool, boat transport to Downtown Disney, and the Gurgling Suitcase, which is a little establishment serving "adult drinks" (try the Rum Runner - my wife's favorite). If you're a golfer (which I'm not), there is a course spread throughout the resort. Out of all of the Disney vacation club resort offerings, OKW is amongst the biggest in room sizes. The 1 & 2 bedroom rooms have a full-size kitchen (which is good if you're trying to cut down on your meal expenses - or - are just tired of eating out). As with all WDW resorts, continuous bus travel is offered to all of the parks and Downtown Disney.

Room Tip: There are several pools located in the resort, however, if you want to be close to the Hospitality H...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Auburn, NH
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Beautiful resort grounds, beautiful accommodations, and classic Disney service. But, the resort is huge. I would stay here again, but it's not my favorite. And I wouldn't recommend staying here without a car. The size of the resort really is its biggest detractor. We were the third bus stop (of 5), and it took 10 minutes to get out of the resort on the bus after it picked us up. That being said, the bus ride is made more enjoyable by the Jimmy Buffett music that's played on it. The same music is played throughout the resort, which certainly fits with the tropical feel of the resort. Bottom line, it's a great resort, but it's not my personal preference.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wildcatsfan86
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was my first time staying at a Disney Resort so I'm not sure it this experience was ordinary or not. I thought the grounds were beautiful! The suite was large and accommodated our party of 4 adults quite nicely! I thought the bus trips to the parks was a little long. We did not eat here or use the pool but the pool area looked nice. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want to use the pool, you should get a room near there or else you'll have to drive or wa...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My husband and I took our two girls ages 3 and a half and 1 and a half on their first trip to disney. We stayed in a one bedroom villa in the turtle pond section of the resort. The room was beyond spacious allowing our one and a half year all some room to run after being kept so close all day. It ha a full kitchen and laundry facility which came in useful. We ha grocers from garden grocer delivered to the resort the day we arrived. The resort is a bit spread out but once we got the hang of the buses it was no trouble at all to navigate. We never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus and that was rare. The staff was excellent very helpful and courteous answering numerous questions. Our kids loved the main pool area even though we had another pool closer. The food options at this resort are a bit limited with only one quick service and one table service available. All in all a very relaxing enjoyable resort. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Raszuromi
Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I just returned from a short stay at the Old Key West resort at Walt Disney World. I highly recommend this resort due to the laid back feeling you get here. The only issue I had with my studio room was the beds. The mattress is just a bit too hard for me. Other than that it was a great room with the little kitchenette. I found it easy to get around the resort as all you have to do is jump on any bus as the last stop in the resort is the Hospitality House/main pool area. To get back to your area just walk across the bridge and hop the first bus to stop at the Peninsular Road stop. Another gem is Olivia's for a meal, my favorite is breakfast there. I could live there full time if they'd let me, it's beautiful there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DisneyDad2
Manorville, New York
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Service is excellent, as with any Disney service. Resort was clean as well. I just thought it was way too large for my liking. Traveled with 4 adults, 1 child. I found i had to drive to the main area/ clubhouse area, and clubhouse pool, too much bus traffic in streets for my little one to walk. It felt like condo living, more than a vacation area. This place was nice, just a little boring its just that i've enjoyed much better stays at other nearby hotels. Boat ride to downtown disney was nice. I would not return, is was so-so.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family