“Nice Stay, but had better resorts.”

Disney's Old Key West Resort
Ranked #72 of 337 Hotels in Orlando
Manorville, New York
“Nice Stay, but had better resorts.”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Service is excellent, as with any Disney service. Resort was clean as well. I just thought it was way too large for my liking. Traveled with 4 adults, 1 child. I found i had to drive to the main area/ clubhouse area, and clubhouse pool, too much bus traffic in streets for my little one to walk. It felt like condo living, more than a vacation area. This place was nice, just a little boring its just that i've enjoyed much better stays at other nearby hotels. Boat ride to downtown disney was nice. I would not return, is was so-so.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (769)
OFDT2
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We loved Old Key West - the property and grounds are really beautiful, and wonderfully maintained.

We were at the property without a car, therefore put in an advance request (via online check-in) to be placed in the Peninsular Road area - this was the closest area to the Hospitality House. However, on arrival, we were disappointed that this request had not been met, and we were placed in Old Turtle Pond Road, in a building which could not have been much further from the Hospitality House. The Cast Member at reception (Ana) was really great, and did everything she could to see whether an alternative could be found - but unfortunately, it could not be.

We needn't have worried about being some distance from the Hospitality House, because it was not actually that far (10 to 15 minute walk), and the grounds are so pleasant that it was a lovely walk. The only complaint I would have about our location is that it was close to the main road at the back of the property - and we could hear that quite a lot. There are definitely quieter areas with more picturesque views to be had.

We were in a studio, which was very spacious. It had two double beds, a table with two chairs, small kitchenette, hanging space and bathroom. There was a small balcony outside. I wouldn't say that it was luxuriously appointed, but was more of a homely style, which was very appealing.

The buses around the resort/to the parks were very efficient, and we never had to wait very long for where we wanted to get to (we went to all 6 parks, so used the buses a lot!). Well done to Disney for running such a great service.

We ate at Olivia's a couple of times. The food was good, and service friendly.

Overall, a peaceful, scenic and enjoyable place to stay.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank OFDT2
Johnson Creek, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Started going in 92' and love this place! It is a large resort so nice and spread out, never feel overcrowded here. Love the landscaping and the main house with Olivia's yet I love the quite pool over by the "Turtle pond" area! Great rooms, spacious, could use some updating but see things have slowly started regarding decor and things in the kitchen. Great place. They do not have elevators so request ground floor if needed for special needs etc. Love being able to sit on my balcony and just have coffee and hang out.

1 Thank sarahg1007
London
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was our first time to Disney and although being a bit skeptical to start with we loved it and really enjoyed Old Key West.

We were close to the main reception, which was great, and close to the pool. The room was spacious and a lot better than the photos on the website or tripadvisor. We found the rooms to look dated but actually it was clean and quite new. Very happy.

The one down side was that the fridge made a lot of noise but it was changed on day 3 and that fixed it.

Would not hesitate to book this again, for the price it was great.

2 Thank MrGolf
Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Accommodation was perfect, we stayed in a deluxe studio, it met all our requirements, cleaned every day, fresh towels every day, even provided coffee for the filter machine every day. Areas around were well maintained, the pool area provided plenty of activities, with daily children's entertainment, food at Olivia's was excellent, Goods to Go was fine but limited menu, drinks in Slurping Suitcase are not cheap but the vacation was not about drinking, the transport to and from parks was great, regular and quick, all staff were attentive and polite, top marks to Eddie at Hanks Rentals, he made my daughter laugh every time we met him, he does a great Donald Duck impression, would we go back? MOST DEFINITELY.

Room Tip: If you do not like walking stay close to Hospitality House, use the park transfer buses for internal...
2 Thank MARHAG
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I just returned from staying 7 nights at the Old Key West Resort in Orlando. I have never written a review for anything in my life; yet this review is one of the first things I am doing upon my return. I was under the impression that staying on a Disney Property (as opposed to off property) would be a bit more expensive, but worth it for the convenience and perks it offered. I was sadly disappointed with both. I traveled with four small children; ages 8, 5, 3, and 14 months. While the rooms were spacious (the ONLY benefit of this resort), we were placed on a 3rd level room in a building with NO ELEVATOR. For a family who has to carry both a single stroller and a massive double stroller (weighing close to 30 pounds) to and from parks each day, this was exhausting and frustrating. My husband is in good shape and it nearly killed him. I later learned that only 4 of the 50 buildings in this resort have elevator access. I didn't even know that was possible in this day! So after hauling the massive strollers plus 4 kids up and down 3 flights of stairs, we waited on average 30 minutes for every bus to arrive at our bus stop. Once we actually got on a bus, it had to make other stops at this spread out resort. The time it took us to actually get to a park from this resort averaged 1 HOUR from the time we actually walked out of our hotel room. And that was if we went to one of the main 4 parks. The time we tried to go to Blizzard Beach and Downtown Disney our wait time for buses was over 40 minutes and at one point, we had to actually call the hotel after waiting for nearly 45 minutes with no bus! And finally, the "internal" transportation was a JOKE. Just to take our kids swimming, we had to get on a bus (after waiting the typical 20-30 minutes). To return to our room, we had to ride an "internal" bus... we NEVER waited less than 30 minutes for an internal bus. It was faster to walk the nearly 1 mile... but with 4 small kids, you can imagine how that went! At one point, we complained to the front desk after waiting nearly 40 minutes JUST TO GET BACK TO OUR ROOM, and a hotel staff member drove us back in his personal vehicle. Needless to say, all of this waiting and waiting with small children was pretty much unbearable and definitely put a damper on our overall Disney experience. I never would have anticipated having to budget 45 minutes to an HOUR of transit time just to take my kids for a quick swim! And I haven't even mentioned the wait times to get a snack at the pool snack bar... more waiting and unfriendly staff. All in all, I would have much preferred to stay OFF PROPERTY in a much nicer hotel for less money (while parts of the rooms have been updated, the bathrooms are in need of MAJOR updating AND cleaning (gross!). I would have rented a car and most likely have gotten to the parks faster (or at a minimum, the same amount of time). I was extremely disappointed with this so-called "Deluxe Disney Resort". I did not find anything to be "Deluxe" about it; nor did my husband and mother-in-law who were traveling with us. I will NOT return and do not recommend it... especially for families with small children!

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, make sure you stay in a building close to the Hospitality House. And if...
7 Thank danielle h
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Nice, clean condo type room. Very convenient to have nice kitchen and laundry (detergent for a load included). The bathroom was a little dated looking, not super clean on appearance but the huge tub was fantastic for the kids. The negatives for us were - no room service or convenient restaurant to get snacks or milk for the kids and the pullout couch was old & dilapidated (kids slept on chairs pushed together instead).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family